Slam Dancing

2»

Comments

• and just for the record, i give full and total support to that chick, cause she was definitely doing her thing

• Ive been to tons of hardcore shows, started going in '86. But I have to admit the biggest, most insane pit I ever witnessed (I didnt get in it was insane and huge) was at a Ministry show, the "The Mind is a Terrible thing to Taste" tour. They had a 12ft tall chain link fence all across the front of the stage and folks were climbing it and falling and diving off of it back into the crowd...the pit was at least 15-20ft in diameter...total mayhem.

• sounds a little too crazy, but hey, that shit was memorable, right?

• tripledouble said:
    sounds a little too crazy, but hey, that shit was memorable, right?

Kindergarten is memorable.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Ive been to tons of hardcore shows, started going in '86. But I have to admit the biggest, most insane pit I ever witnessed (I didnt get in it was insane and huge) was at a Ministry show, the "The Mind is a Terrible thing to Taste" tour. They had a 12ft tall chain link fence all across the front of the stage and folks were climbing it and falling and diving off of it back into the crowd...the pit was at least 15-20ft in diameter...total mayhem.

When that tour was in Austin, Ministry dudes started breaking glass bottles on the chain link fence, sending shards into the faces of the crowd...so of course the crowd started doing the same right back at them. And noone attempted to stop any of it. The show just went on like that without interruption. So yeah, there's a definite instance of a crazed violent thing.

But to assume that that's every moshpit at every show...pure silliness.

tripledouble said:

"harv, i know youll pick me up if i fall, baby!"

Yes, because you're awesome.

b/w

I really miss actual grunge girls.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I saw Ministry in Savannah at some weird abandoned seafood warehouse or something in like '89, and that shit was unhinged--absolute Grand Guignol. Life-altering.

actual grunge girls.
    Oh shit. This is perhaps a thread of its own.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    There was always that {with his shirt off beer bellied buzz cut} white dude standing in the middle with the look of dude from Full Metal Jacket waiting to fuck you up though. Hated that dude.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Danno3000 said:
    Interesting thread. I can now confirm that I have zero regrets I was never part of this scene.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I used to go to a lot of hardcore shows back in the day. The nastiest pit I ever dealt with was Bad Brains an City Gardens in Trenton. The crowd was frenzied. My 140 lb body was getting tossed around like a wet rag. 10 years go by and I was at some show, I forget the band, but now I'm the 200 lb. guy slamming into people. Big difference. I have no problem with slam dancing at shows as long as the music warrants it. Just don't slam dance at a Juliana Hatfield show. Ha! Also, I always thought it was weird when people would slam dance to a dj spinning punk rock or whatever. Something wrong about that.

High school graduation toga party in this chick's garage, TSOL comes on and boppy dance party turns into spastic human pretzels bouncing off the walls. I know the suburban whiteboy experience has been shot to shit the past 20 years in favor of anything remotely "urban", but fuck it...that shit was as much fun as anything I've done since.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    deleted

• Damn, that was fun as shit.

james said:

actual grunge girls.

So what do I do in the wake of this thread? I go out and happen upon a most awesome grunge girl who for whatever reason is into me. She played me Blind Melon and told me stories that made my own most crazy stories sound like a mere high school football practice. She's naturally a little rough around the edges, but a welcome surprise compared to all of these straight-edged suburban chicks I've been consorting with as of late.

Thank you, Strut, for the timely synchronicity.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Shannon Hoon, still bringing people together after all these years

• HarveyCanal said:
    james said:

actual grunge girls.

So what do I do in the wake of this thread? I go out and happen upon a most awesome grunge girl who for whatever reason is into me. She played me Blind Melon and told me stories that made my own most crazy stories sound like a mere high school football practice. She's naturally a little rough around the edges, but a welcome surprise compared to all of these straight-edged suburban chicks I've been consorting with as of late.

Thank you, Strut, for the timely synchronicity.

Tried to send PM

'inbox full'

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    O
    M
    G

Is GatorToof Harvey's date?! Is there another gal on the Board?! Hooorah?!

• bassie said:
    O
    M
    G

Is GatorToof Harvey's date?! Is there another gal on the Board?! Hooorah?!

Lol, now you giving me a hard time too!?! geez.

Harvey said he wanted to thank us for the good timing. I tried to PM him to tell him I am saving up for a house and a rescue organization. So, if the relationship is a success he could send thanks to my apartment. You see, I was the first one to start this thread. Btw, I am a boy, not a gal.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I was being neutral-nice-neutral!!

• Most hardcore bands I've seen encourage it.
    Not Fugazi though, when i saw them they stopped playing until everybody calmed down, and Ian MacKaye argued with some guy for awhile