Valentine's Day - Yah Or Nay???

Comments

• we're having a nice dinner and spending $20 on each others gifts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I told my girlfriend that I would rather do something the week before or after but nothing really happened with that. I've been busy so I put her in charge of deciding between a few places and making reservations. I'm more than likely going to barely have enough energy to make it through dinner by the end of the week so that's probably all that's going to go down.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,084 Posts
    B-movie 'celebrity'/autograph convention (along with 500 dateless wonders such as myself), school and whatever is going on later that night (Funky Sole probably)

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I usually cook some kind of dinner with expensive ingredients that I usually don't buy. This year I'll be visiting with my mom. Going out to Otto's brauhaus. Tasty beers and weiner roast braten.

• bumps. Thinking of what to do this year...what are the strutters plannins on V-day?

• I'm buying my mom a dozen roses, as I've done every year since I was old enough to have a job.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    i refuse to go to restaurants that triple menu prices as a valentines gift

This was my favorite day to work when I was a server. A bunch of suckers looking to spend money.

b/w

Here's my Anti-Valentines Day Mix:

• buy a blank card [one with no writing on the inside] and take a picture of the inside of another card and write it in the blank one when you get home. rule valentines day.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Herm said:
    I'm buying my mom a dozen roses, as I've done every year since I was old enough to have a job.

Really? Dude?

Dude.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    batmon said:
    My ladyfriend doesnt wanna go out and see goofy folks w/ balloons and shit.

But i did propose we go see a BAD romantic comedy.

My choice was Confessions of a Shopaholic. She's chose He's Not That Into You.

three years later, HJNTIY is still an awesome movie.

• skel said:
    Herm said:
    I'm buying my mom a dozen roses, as I've done every year since I was old enough to have a job.

Really? Dude?

Dude.

What's wrong with that?? I also do it on her bday and then usually once or twice randomly throughout the year, just to put a smile on her face. She raised me, my brother and sister well as a single mother, working 3 jobs to keep us above water. It's the least I can do.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Dude.

Herm said:
    skel said:
    Herm said:

Really? Dude?

Dude.

What's wrong with that?? I also do it on her bday and then usually once or twice randomly throughout the year, just to put a smile on her face. She raised me, my brother and sister well as a single mother, working 3 jobs to keep us above water. It's the least I can do.

I dunno man. There's just something... a bit wrong with getting mom involved on a day that has become (with the coercion of the gifting lobby, natch) a conduit for the commoditisation of carnal activity, of forced innuendo and glib saucy humour.

That, and the fact that my mum is a pain in the fucking arse. Jesus, the thought makes me shudder, and not in a good way.

• skel said:
    Herm said:
    skel said:
    Herm said:

Really? Dude?

Dude.

I dunno man. There's just something... a bit wrong with getting mom involved on a day that has become (with the coercion of the gifting lobby, natch) a conduit for the commoditisation of carnal activity, of forced innuendo and glib saucy humour.

That, and the fact that my mum is a pain in the fucking arse. Jesus, the thought makes me shudder, and not in a good way.

Nah man, Valentines' Day is what you make it. Not that I necessarily celebrate it (though I used to back in the day), but it's never been about sex to me.

• If was in a relationship, I might invite them into my apartment for a drink of water. That's it. No having a seat or using the restroom. Some water and then out and back onto neutral grounds. : icegrill:

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    skel said:
    Herm said:
    skel said:
    Herm said:

Really? Dude?

Dude.

It's not like he's giving his mom a bouquet of condoms and a nudge-nudge. I find the sentiment sweet and it shows that chivalry is, indeed, not dead.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    have y'all never heard of somebody giving his mother flowers on valentines day? it's not that unusual.

• it's also my mothers birthday on valentines day.

needless to say she gets some flowers.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Hallmark holiday no? Been tip toeing around the whole idea this year, been seeing this girl for a couple of months and trying to keep it lite nahmeans? I'm new to the area and when she suggested we skip the dinner and flowers and instead spent the day thrifting, I almost shed a tear. With all that being said I think it's super tight Herm sends flowers to his mom, we should all follow suite.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,084 Posts
    Yay if it has meaning to two people who love each other. It should be a federal holiday so I get the day off. Nay if I have to hear another single and bitter person rambling on about consumerism.

As per usual, I'm out of kilter w/ SS opinion.

This is not a bad thing.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I made a nice mix via vinyl to cassette! I'm proud of myself. Actually want to keep it to myself. One side is boogie dancin music the other side is heart ripping country music.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Is it okay with the grumpy Brit if I get my daughter a box of chocolates?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    it's also my mothers birthday on valentines day.

needless to say she gets some

This is what happens when you quote out of context.

HarveyCanal said:
    Is it okay with the grumpy Brit if I get my daughter a box of chocolates?

Avoid misunderstandings in later life, save it for 02/15

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    it's also my mothers birthday on valentines day.

needless to say she gets some flowers.

My dad's birthday too. Mine 'bout 9 months later. "Only Christmas and birthdays, thun..."

TRUE DAT.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I understand Herm's Momma Love.
    My moms attempted to raise my sister and I to get her at least a card on Valentine Day.

When i got older i had to steadily ween her ass off that shit. Sorry Mommy, but this day is for my lady friends.
    You have Mother's Day and your Birthday for that shit.

b/w

Slow Jams........

Smoker's Jacket, Snifter of Blue Agave Sweetened Kool-Aid, Fresh Out The Pack Havaianas, Shaved Tescticles & Bootyhole, Pomergranite/Shariz Short-Ribs, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Braised Black Kale, and Season Two Of Batman The Animated Series.

• Happy Valentine's Day.

If you can say, "I love you," to someone that you love. Do so.

• GatorToof said:
    Happy Valentine's Day.

If you can say, "I love you," to someone that you love. Do so.

something i never thought I'd say after quoting you.....

I agree.

take your fucking mouths off and do something nice and out of routine for someone you care about today. they put up with all your shit.

you think your wife WANTS to live with all those records the other 364.

• vintageinfants said:
    take your fucking mouths off and do something nice

hahaha, well said.