Kid Capri killin' it with the 45s!!!!

Comments

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    if i was in that park with a cold drink in hand, i would not be mad at all!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bump

• Sween said:
    The same dudes with the raw chins in here are probably equally put off by Flex dropping bombs, Stretch, Bob and Sear taking phone calls, Biz Mark dropping tv theme songs mid-set, and Red Alert popping up in too many videos on The Box. I'm in the 90's, why not.

Most here who're hating on Kid Capri's set don't even know who Stretch and Bob are in the first place.

• love it!!!
    dont know a bunch of things in the set. whats the uh bubba bubba bubb bub thing after the "a hunting ww will go"? i guess its video 8/9 around 3 minute mark

i understand why people wouldnt like this, but if you got that sweet sweet ADD that made you do backflips the first time you heard a sample/break tape, then this is that shit!!!!!!! dude is working hard!!!!!

• tripledouble said:
    love it!!!
    dont know a bunch of things in the set. whats the uh bubba bubba bubb bub thing after the "a hunting ww will go"? i guess its video 8/9 around 3 minute mark

This J-Rocc 45:

• i was at that jam in the bronx,it was july 2011. kid capri did 2 30-40 minute sets. it was incredible. by the time he was on his second set he had the park on fire! red alert,rockin rob and chuck city also spun. there were about 2000 people there that evening. hanging out at the jam was jazzy jay,kool herc,coke la rock,lord finesse,dj scratch,melle mel,tony tone,mean gene,mike c,ras kass,dot a rock(who for some reason was rushed away to the hospital in an ambulance),grand puba,grand wizard theodore,cherl the pearl among others. it was a beautiful day! and,this happens every thursday in july at crotona park. if you love classic rap and hip hop legends this is the place to be. i've been going for the last 6 years.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    batmon said:
    bump

Thank you. I forgot about this.

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    thanks for the bump, totally missed this, just through watching all 9 parts, im loving it, a real dj doing his thang, what??s not great here??

b/w anyone knows who??s manufacturing his adapters, they look ill.

• batmon said:
    yall sound white as fuck
    I am and musical masturbation doesn't do sh*t for me.

• but critical masturbation does?
    can you accept that its not your thing without insulting it?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I can't understand how the very same people who dismiss the brainfreeze mix can enjoy this.

finelikewine said:
    I can't understand how the very same people who dismiss the brainfreeze mix can enjoy this.

I dont understand how folks that deem Brainfreeze as game changing not see what Capri has been doin' years before.

• Man, I think a ton of people on here only pretend to like hip hop. I can find absolutely nothing about this that should elicit anything other than pure joy.

• Excuse I while I get deep for a sec...

some people are into the creation, the spirit of it. some might say the "soul".

other people are into the execution, the technique. this goes way beyond hip-hop, into all kinds of pursuits. It's been like this for generations.

people think brainfreeze is ill, and it is, but what people tend to boil it down to is the selection and the technique. Those are two things that Europeans and American whites have traditionally been very interested in/good at: preservation and refinement. Find the records, mix them with accuracy, try to add a wrinkle the form beyond the groundwork that is already there. Nothing wrong with that.

For those who saw Frank's documentary, El Rego is there talking about how it's necessary for Europeans to come in and help preserve some of this shit because Africans are not good at that. Not sure if I agree, but follow me.

In hip-hop, there's been this constant give-and-take between "creators" and "refiners".... sometimes race/color applies, sometimes it doesn't. But to the extent that it does, the "refiners" seem to get a lot more credit than the "creators". Especially in this day and age. And I'd wager that the people who do that are getting the shit all wrong.

:5000pager:

tripledouble said:
    but critical masturbation does?

I bet his critical masturbation in youtube comments are works of art...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    finelikewine said:

It's easy to explain. What Kid Capri is doing there is rocking a crowd, period...as he is a part of that crowd. What Brainfreeze is doing is having 2 dudes say look at us and all this that we've found/do...and hopefully that crowd of weirdos over there likes it. Big difference. And neither sets should have ever been pressed to vinyl.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    And neither sets should have ever been pressed to vinyl.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    finelikewine said:

It's easy to explain. What Kid Capri is doing there is rocking a crowd, period...as he is a part of that crowd. What Brainfreeze is doing is having 2 dudes say look at us and all this that we've found/do...and hopefully that crowd of weirdos over there likes it. Big difference. And neither sets should have ever been pressed to vinyl.

i want some of that texas weed
    you high as a kite dude

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Excuse I while I get deep for a sec...

some people are into the creation, the spirit of it. some might say the "soul".

other people are into the execution, the technique. this goes way beyond hip-hop, into all kinds of pursuits. It's been like this for generations.

people think brainfreeze is ill, and it is, but what people tend to boil it down to is the selection and the technique. Those are two things that Europeans and American whites have traditionally been very interested in/good at: preservation and refinement. Find the records, mix them with accuracy, try to add a wrinkle the form beyond the groundwork that is already there. Nothing wrong with that.

For those who saw Frank's documentary, El Rego is there talking about how it's necessary for Europeans to come in and help preserve some of this shit because Africans are not good at that. Not sure if I agree, but follow me.

In hip-hop, there's been this constant give-and-take between "creators" and "refiners".... sometimes race/color applies, sometimes it doesn't. But to the extent that it does, the "refiners" seem to get a lot more credit than the "creators". Especially in this day and age. And I'd wager that the people who do that are getting the shit all wrong.

:5000pager:
    james said:
    In many of the mostly really bad music books I read in college and which would probably make me queasy now, the official party line on this was something like

"In their relation to music, black people have primarily been leaders, innovators, and creators looking to the sweep of the future, where white people have primarily been followers, copyists, and refiners obsessing over the details of the past; this is why a million Frenchmen are hung up on the nuances of a Miles Davis solo from 1967 while Miles Davis himself is hung up on a Scritti Politti record that isn't out yet."

The thing is, everybody is "getting the shit all wrong." Each one of us is probably to some extent either under-crediting the creators or over-romanticizing them, either over-inflating wet-behind-the-ears white dudes into innovators of the first water or inadvertently under-selling seasoned non-white dudes by denying them their full geek, acting like said dudes were never record nerds and never sweated details and never bookishly studied anything, acting like they're just these elemental forces of will that show up and rock park jams.

What pencil-necks and crowd-rockers do is not the same, but nor is it all that different. Does anyone think that Shadow and Cut wouldn't be thrilled to rock a crowd like Kid Capri, or that Kid Capri wouldn't be thrilled to have a Brainfreeze to his name? The fact that there's probably a grip of folks on both sides screaming "They/he already do/does!" kinda illustrates the problem with this kind of duality.

I mean, I don't necessarily disagree with your larger point, Jonny, but I know that you know that this shit is much slipperier than all that.

kala said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    finelikewine said:

i want some of that texas weed
    you high as a kite dude

Actually, first morning in about a hundred that I haven't smoked.

That Kid Capri shit saw a vinyl release? Really?

I mean, I think it's a great set, but I guess I can't imagine not also watching it while listening to it.

james said:

I mean, I think it's a great set, but I guess I can't imagine not also watching it while listening to it.

No, only those others dudes did such a thing. That was my point. Overkill.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    james said:

The Brainfreeze vinyl was a bootleg. The only thing Cut and Shadow put out was the limited-edition CD.

HarveyCanal said:
    james said:

I've never understood pressing a mix to vinyl. I don't want some other dudes zigga ziggaz on my wax, dammit!

Perhaps it makes the DJ feel like the whole shit has gone full circle?

HarveyCanal said:
    james said:

Oh. I see.

Do you really feel like Kid Capri's set doesn't have a strong "look at me" factor, though? Dude spends an awful lot of time crowing about his records and calling out a phantom Biz Markie and saying that he knows he's blowing past his crowd but begging them to stay with him, et cetera. It's still great, though. Showmanship, you know? I guess I just don't see that as pejoratively as you do.

I have to say, for someone who lives in motherfucking Texas, you're showing a surprising aversion to display here.

DJ_Enki said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    james said:

The Brainfreeze vinyl was a bootleg. The only thing Cut and Shadow put out was the limited-edition CD.

Is the OG mix way different than this?

james said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    james said:

Oh. I see.

Do you really feel like Kid Capri's set doesn't have a strong "look at me" factor, though? Dude spends an awful lot of time crowing about his records and calling out a phantom Biz Markie and saying that he knows he's blowing past his crowd but begging them to stay with him, et cetera. It's still great, though. Showmanship, you know? I guess I just don't see that as pejoratively as you do.

I have to say, for someone who lives in motherfucking Texas, you're showing a surprising aversion to display here.

Maybe I was unclear or you mighta misread me...but I like Kid Capri's showmanship. It's part of rocking a crowd.

HarveyCanal said:
    james said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    james said:

Oh. I see.

Maybe I was unclear or you mighta misread me...but I like Kid Capri's showmanship. It's part of rocking a crowd.
    No, I got that, but what I'm saying is: What's the difference between his showboating at a park jam and their showboating on a party mix? Like, how is he not doing the same "look at me and all this that I've found/do" that you find so off-putting when they do it?

I mean, if you just for whatever reason like it when he does it and don't when they do it, or find it okay when cool people do it but not okay when whiteys do it, that's fine, that's individual taste. It's just kinda eye-rolling to see that presented not as a difference of taste but as a formal/structural objection: "And another thing--they are far too ostentatious about the records they have acquired, their ability to manipulate them, and their desire to have their audience appreciate them!"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    james said:

Is the OG mix way different than this?

Whoops, forgot about this video...Cut and Shadow put this out, too. The OG mix is pretty much the same thing--it was one of their practice runs for the live show, which was originally just a one-off. But then it caught on, and they did the mini-tour, and the set got expanded on a little bit.