Kid Capri killin' it with the 45s!!!!

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
All 9 parts of this set are on youtube......

Comments

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    :talib:

Capri is cool but this kind of 'mixing' is incredibly annoying. Man just let the song breath for a minute or two. This is some serious A.D.D.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    I'm definitely not
    :feelin_it:

At all.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    ost said:
    :talib:

Agreed.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    awesome, thanks for sharing!

• Crazy - thanks for posting Chan!

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Yep, he's killin' all the fun. Annoying as hell.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    str8lava

• batmon said:
    str8lava

It's Kid Capri dropping classics in a Bronx park on a sunny day while the neighborhood gets down....yeah it sucks.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    What's his mission? Showing everybody how many breaks he can cram into a set. I don't see anything enjoyable in someone publicly rushing through his 45 collection. It's like sitting next to mp3 collector on his itunes and listen how he plays to you his favorite 15 seconds of his favorite 500 tracks. I mean it's Kid Capri I believe him that he has all the breaks, he doesn't need to give evidence. It's a sunny day and the neighbourhood is hanging out so why not relax and play some music for the people actually?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    yawn.

I dont see how sacrificing actual music for some sort of turntable athleticism is supposed to be entertaining...kinda like going to a restaurant, not for the food, but for the amazing speed at which your table is cleared after you take your first bite and the next course arrives.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yall sound white as fuck

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    well, you are always hanging out with our white asses on here...

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    disco_che said:
    What's his mission? Showing everybody how many breaks he can cram into a set. I don't see anything enjoyable in someone publicly rushing through his 45 collection. It's like sitting next to mp3 collector on his itunes and listen how he plays to you his favorite 15 seconds of his favorite 500 tracks. I mean it's Kid Capri I believe him that he has all the breaks, he doesn't need to give evidence. It's a sunny day and the neighbourhood is hanging out so why not relax and play some music for the people actually?

I don't know, man, everyone in the crowd seems pretty relaxed and into what he's doing.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    D.O.P.E.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Man I hate how he keeps repeating the drum break to make it longer. Who even does that?

Why won't he let the guitar solo play? That's my favorite part.

This dude is just showing off!

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Man I hate how he keeps repeating the drum break to make it longer. Who even does that?

Why won't he let the guitar solo play? That's my favorite part.

This dude is just showing off!

Yeah this is pretty awesome, and even if he was just playing mp3s, his sequencing is dead on.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Whoa now. So lemme get this straight.

Current hip hop: sucks
    Late 90s-early 2000s underground hip hop: PMG classiques, but won't admit to it
    Mid-90s hip hop: Too jiggy, but Biggie n nem are dope
    Golden age boom bap: DA BAST!
    Early to mid 80s hip hop: sucks
    Late 70s disco rap: Awesome ('cause disco is cool to be)
    The origins of hip hop, i.e. spinning breaks in a park in Teh Bronxes: ADD/showing off/well, it's no Tyler the Creator...

That about right?

• LurkalotLurkalot 41 Posts
    dude how come he's just playing major label stuff? As you can see mostly everyone in the crowd recognizes and is enjoying the music, so pedestrian! He should be playing 10 run only Serbian 45's! He should totally know by now how to rock a party since he's only been doing it for like 30 years!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Me likey. Some of y'all are tripping. I mean, don't ADHD a rap set, as I like to hear verses. But breaks, those are for cutting up. It's this thing called hip-hop...maybe you've heard of it.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Me likey. Some of y'all are tripping. I mean, don't ADHD a rap set, as I like to hear verses. But breaks, those are for cutting up. It's this called hip-hop...maybe you've heard of it.

For once I agree with Robert.

• 1:13 - 1:20 Riding High

b/w

7 Seconds of Funk!

Feeling it overall even if he could let some of these ride just a little longer than that!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    C'mon guys, he should at least be handling those 45s with white gloves or something. And the way he's just throwing his 45s around, don't get me started.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    C'mon guys, he should at least be handling those 45s with white gloves or something. And the way he's just throwing his 45s around, don't get me started.

HE'S TOUCHING THE GROOVES WITH HIS FINGERS WTF?

Actually, on that point, I never really understood why dudes get so bent about touching the grooves. As a DJ, that's pretty much what you do THE WHOLE DAMN TIME YOU'RE DJING. I clean my records now and then, and keep my hands pretty clean. So unless you're trying to get rodeo on a plate of ribs and cue up records at the same time, I just don't see the issue.

• DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:

HE'S TOUCHING THE GROOVES WITH HIS FINGERS WTF?

Actually, on that point, I never really understood why dudes get so bent about touching the grooves. As a DJ, that's pretty much what you do THE WHOLE DAMN TIME YOU'RE DJING. I clean my records now and then, and keep my hands pretty clean. So unless you're trying to get rodeo on a plate of ribs and cue up records at the same time, I just don't see the issue.

Wet Naps

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    D-O-P-E. I love it. Thank you for sharing.

I for one would like to thank the hate posts for contributing to this thread becoming a 2 pager and thus allowing it to remain on the front page long enough for me to see...Although, you might benefit from knowing it costs you nothing to pay what you aren't "feeling" any mind. If you aren't enjoying a thorough as trip through classic breaks, then I have a feeling there is a lot of stuff you do like that I would absolutely despise...don't worry, though...when you post something I think sounds like shit I'll make sure to ignore it.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    That shit was great, thanks for posting Chan.

• maocontentmaocontent 559 Posts
    DOPE. Mad I missed this a few weeks back.

Part of why he's quick mixing is b/c that's just what he does & he's great at it. Part of it is he's got a shorter set time - Crotona park jams' organizers got an hour less to do the events this year. You hear Caz updating him on how much time he's got left.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    7 Seconds of Funk!

The title of my 7 Seconds/funk mashup project.

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    Thx for posting, these are great.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    don't post in this thread if you don't listen to rap.

seriously.....