The Strut Revisit: Common's "One Day It Will All Make Sense"

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
http://www.discogs.com/Common-One-Day-Itll-All-Make-Sense/master/32379

Better than we remember? Or still "meh"?

I feel like this one just ended up getting lost between "Resurrection" and "Like Water For Chocolate". Maybe deservedly so.

Discuss.

(Btw, where the hell is this sample? So damn familiar: )

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This album is great, take your face off.

• still "meh"

• I had the Common Sense "Take it EZ" single so I've been a fan of his for a while. But this one here; awesome album cover and the albums fluidity of beats, samples, and rhymes are hypnotic. Bangers on this piece are "Real Ni**a Quotes", "Gettin Down at the Amphitheater", "Hungry" "Stolen Moments Pt.1 and Pt. 2" and "1,2 Many". This one and "Resurrection" are my favorite Common albums.

• I haven't listened to it in awhile, but I like it. Kind of loses you at moments, but also has some really great songs. I had Ressurection on cd and therefore listened to it a lot. I only had this on vinyl and I think I ended up playing it less.

1,2 many is hot.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    http://www.discogs.com/Common-One-Day-Itll-All-Make-Sense/master/32379

Better than we remember? Or still "meh"?

I feel like this one just ended up getting lost between "Resurrection" and "Like Water For Chocolate". Maybe deservedly so.

Discuss.

(Btw, where the hell is this sample? So damn familiar: )

It's the Fania All Stars. It's on a live album if I remember correctly.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Boom!

Thanks!

• I like this album a lot, but haven't listened to it in ages. Anybody got a zip for me? My CD is buried in storage.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• i agree with c7: great album cover and the album kind of losses me at moments too. the lauryn song and cee-lo joints were skipped frequently and i can't see them aging particularly well, but maybe i'm wrong...

i always thought this song was really good and a great first song:

love the jimmy ponder loop and mista sinsta's cuts on that track are great. his scratching on rap albums is really underrated.

i don't remember that "invocation" video at all. funny to see karriem riggins extra young and bubbly in the video. i don't rember this one for "hungry" either:

youtube is zane crazy.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    The good bits are real good.

• In some ways the cee-lo and lauryn joints kind of disrupt the flow of the album, but they are still songs worthy of adding to common's repertoire. I think the album is a beast, i've always loved it. invocation is definitely a helluva opener. A Can-i-bus feature is almost always a bad thing though in my book. He's got a voice, it's just too bad that he's somehow always terrrrrrible. I'd venture to say I think I like this album better as a whole than Like Water...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I could never make it all the way thru this record without skipping stuff, but the good stuff is undeniably great. I'd definitely rather listen to this than LWFC any day.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Always liked this song...

Otherwise, this album is where Common lost me for good.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Although there were a few other joints I liked ("1, 2 Many," that Lowrell-sampling joint, and a few others I remember liking, though I haven't listened to this album in forever). Not as good as Resurrection, better than LWFC, and the increasing percentage of softbatch songs was a harbinger of things to come.

Also, major cosine on Sinista's scratching. Between this one, Resurrection, and the first Beatnuts album, that dude had an amazing run of putting down fantastic cuts on albums.

• I actually pulled this out about a month ago to do the same. Ended up selling it. 1st couple songs are great, and there's some other shit on there, but can't really handle the in between. 3-part song is just excessive. Unfiled.

• Such a dope album. So many great cuts. A couple skippers, but oh well - par for the course. Unfortunate Canibus verse.

Proviso - I was "late" to hip hop and this was my first Common record, so holds a certain sentimental value as well.

HarveyCanal said:

On that note, what I'm struck by is how Common's flow really hasn't aged well. You could argue - as many did - it was never that good to start with (fair enough) but somehow, in the mid 90s, I dind't mind as much. But listening to some of these songs now and he mostly sounds like a glorified spoken word artist.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yeah, I liked him much better as the more wacky spitter from the Soul By the Pound remix.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    It has moments, but it's not solid. I put this in a couple months ago and still felt the same. It's one of those records that has GREAT moments and then really "meh" moments.

On another note I 1) forgot that he made that Universal Mind Control album and 2) forgot I had it. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• HarveyCanal said:

This is where Common lost me.

I rediscovered him with "Be", but then after that, hey Common had a good run right? I'm not sure if acting is his new niche' either.... I must say though, whatever he is doing now has him smiling more than he has ever!

• Haven't played it in years. I made the mistake of comparing it to Resurrection.

• SP 1200 said:
    Haven't played it in years. I made the mistake of comparing it to Resurrection.

I must admit, this is when he made that drastic change from the baggy jeans, 40oz, and ball cap to the bald-headed afrocentric Badu-banging fashion misfit spectacle. We all miss the "Can I Borrow a Dollar" and "Resurrection" days...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Unfiled
    De-filed, even?

I kinda feel like Common in general and this record in particular had a lot to do with the creation of that whole drunk/horny/righteous lane that has since become so well-traveled, but even so. In a box somewhere I've got the cassingle with "Reminding Me" and "1,2 Many," and that's probably enough.

Now, was there a time in the 90s when I was living in South Carolina but nonetheless had a CTA token on my headshell? I mean, maybe--but I really don't see what that has to do with anything, soulstrut. Why you always bringing up old shit?

And I mentioned something about this a while back, but I bumped into dude at Dr. Wax a few years ago and I don't know whether he was undergoing some kind of treatment or was on that cake soap or what, but he was exactly the color of one of those M.U.S.C.L.E. figures. Amazingly taffy-like.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    james said:
    M.U.S.C.L.E. figures.

Had a hundred of them, but never the ring they fought in.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    And this is neither here nor there, but having Common's wheezy, no-breath-control-having ass on stage at that VH1 tribute to Kane--Kane, of all people! Mister Motherfucking Breath Control!--was a blight on an otherwise remarkably banging sequence.

james said:
    And this is neither here nor there, but having Common's wheezy, no-breath-control-having ass on stage at that VH1 tribute to Kane--Kane, of all people! Mister Motherfucking Breath Control!--was a blight on an otherwise remarkably banging sequence.

COSIGN

• DJ_Enki said:
    that Lowrell-sampling joint

still play this one out every now and then, but haven't checked out the rest of the record other than invocation in a loong time...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    hes talks too much. rock the beat please. he needs some Greg Nice lessons.

• ill always find someone taking themselves too seriously painfully uncomfortable. this album is that.

• absolutely cannot listen to common in any capacity anymore. the guy has become such a parody of himself that even his material i used to consider infallible has faint indications of what he'd turn into and turns it to wet sand. "on a quest for love ... like the proceed drummer!" oh how fucking clever *cringe