The Strut Revisit: Common's "One Day It Will All Make Sense"

2»

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    the guy has become such a parody of himself that even his material i used to consider infallible has faint indications of what he'd turn into

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I still cant hatt. This album was the next step after getting love from Resurrection, which I slept on.

I wasnt checkin for him after the first album which I copped on bootleg cassette.

Dude reached out and tried to expand his game.

There are great moments on this album and it was enough for me to check Like Water For Chocolate which to me is his defining moment.

He's kept the Black Power Rapp Torch alive.

I popped this in around 2006 and I felt like he was kinda on point w/ the whole "what im trying to do" type shit. Yall will get it later...
    "I give u Rappidy Rap, "Dance" joints, Conceptual 'Native Tongue' shit, Hood stories,and Tupacian Personal shit."
    Throw my shit at the wall and see what sticks.

Chicago Rap gets a hard rap cause they cater to Souf, West & East Coast and Mid West all at the same time.
    No other region I feel has to deal w/ that shit.

Its an adequate second step/pre-cursor to LWFC, where he aligned himself w/ the right Crunchy Cats at the time for the climate.

• cant disagree with most of what peeps are saying.
    raperape, i agree with the appearance of obnoxious cleverness, but theres not a lot of mcs who arent guilty of that once in a while.

i got this and like water for chocolate, but honestly barely listened to either. especially compared to resurrection (and soul by the pound remix) which got lots of run. that being said, i appreciated that the man was obviously maturing and walking a conscious and positive path. so even though i stopped really listening, i still root for him to do well. never even listened to electric circus.

and i always liked remind me of self a lot, but maybe it was mostly for the great lowrell bassline and strings. some fun lyrics too "i dont draw with em, cause they were born to trace" (what was wrong with mccormick place?) and "my ni**as fuck girls that my girl hang out witt".good reminiscence track

• batmon said:

Chicago Rap gets a hard rap cause they cater to Souf, West & East Coast and Mid West all at the same time.

How was Com catering to anyone but his core audience here? He expanded by adding Lauren for the ladies. Sensitive Brotha game.

Nothing on there sounded south or west at all. Only nod to Chi was looping Lowrell. Com had moved to BK already and cats were grumbling about it iirc

Its an adequate second step/pre-cursor to LWFC, where he aligned himself w/ the right Crunchy Cats at the time for the climate.

I agree it fits in his career trajectory, but that shit don't make it good. To me even the rappityrap shit sounds dated. And even with myself being a new dad I find the "let's quit smoking weed and have a baby" shit to be st8 corn.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    No need to revisit - I skipped it from the get go - file under completely non essential soft ass shit.

As for hating on 'Common Sense' in general - im feeling him as an actor in Hell On Wheels. So there. Balancing my shit out like WHAT

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    (what was wrong with mccormick place?)
    I don't know specifically what he was talking about, but a long time ago, my man Sam told me something that might provide some context: Back in the 90s, some promoters threw a series of parties at McCormick Place, a big convention center here in town. They were pitched as get-togethers for all of black Chicago (it was the nineties--you know, unity and shit), but I guess they were in fact kinda on the flossy side, so you had smooth stepper types showing up and expecting one thing and hood types showing up and expecting another, and I guess the parties didn't really work out for everyone (although Sam was with the smooth contingent, so he wasn't mad). It was, I guess, something of a big deal, and in fact ended up being--surprise, surprise--somewhat divisive in the community.*

It's possible the Common line was a reference to that--I don't know.

* In college in the 90s, I saw Lords Of The Underground get beat up at--what else?--"Unity Fest." And I think every rap fan of a certain age has a similar story: "At Ostensibly Righteous Event X, I saw Foul Shit Y." Oh, I also saw a dude selling rock--and essential oils(!)--at an X-Clan show.

• haha awesome. essential crack aroma

thanks for the mccormick place history. i kindof loved that he was calling out and dissing a particular venue/promoter

• And even with myself being a new dad I find the "let's quit smoking weed and have a baby" shit to be st8 corn.

Ya, you hit the nail on the head. A lot of self righteous moralizing on this one. Bores the shit outta me now, back then I listened to it. I get to compare it once and a while in my truck cause I've got ressurrection and one day filed under Common on the mp3, but neither have a title. One day is always before ressurrection and I'm always all over the road while I get to the fist album.... One Day it'll be the end of me.

• 1996-7 Common-related aside: the Bitch in Yoo may be my favorite dis track ever.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    rape_donkeys said:
    absolutely cannot listen to common in any capacity anymore. the guy has become such a parody of himself that even his material i used to consider infallible has faint indications of what he'd turn into and turns it to wet sand. "on a quest for love ... like the proceed drummer!" oh how fucking clever *cringe

aww, you're too mean. Resurrection is still pretty much unfuckwithable. and i listened to Be a couple of days ago, and it still holds great...

• rootlesscosmo said:
    1996-7 Common-related aside: the Bitch in Yoo may be my favorite dis track ever.

M*rs and I have had a running argument about this for almost as long as we've known each other. Of course he says "Westside Slaughterhouse" is the better song. Obvious West Coast bias.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Herm said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    1996-7 Common-related aside: the Bitch in Yoo may be my favorite dis track ever.

M*rs and I have had a running argument about this for almost as long as we've known each other. Of course he says "Westside Slaughterhouse" is the better song. Obvious West Coast bias.

Definite west coast bias there. Common fuckin' murdered Cube.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Herm said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

To this day, I refuse to listen to such rubbish.

No way Common could ever touch Cube with a ten thousand foot pole, let alone murder him.

Never!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Herm said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

To this day, I refuse to listen to such rubbish.

No way Common could ever touch Cube with a ten thousand foot pole, let alone murder him.

Never!

As an artist, no, Common isn't seeing Cube at all. But in this particular beef, Common's dis track was better than Cube's.

• DJ_Enki said:

As an artist, no, Common isn't seeing Cube at all. But in this particular beef, Common's dis track was better than Cube's.

Yup. Cube bragging about mobbin' through the east without a vest is pretty funny considering it was Common he was referring too. Common was probably like "Dude, but it's cold out here! At least bring some thermals! ... Oh wait, what? Bulletproof?! He thinks I'm gonna shoot him? ME?!?!"

Cube & Co. were on some ol' childish "f*ck you/trick/b*tch" sh*t and Common said some sh*t that had Cube at home later saying "Damn, he's kinda right. I'm such a hypocrite!"

Okay, just listened to both tracks back to back for the first time ever.

First off, Common is just a minor footnote in Westside Slaughterhouse...so it's not, as some would have everyone believe, a whole Common diss track.

For Common to waste an entire Pete Rock beat to do his sycophantic best against Cube is a loss right there to begin with.

And then consider that while he does make some good points against Cube, he does so in such boring fashion.

Also, he lost me right off the bat when he said Cube "ain't made shit dope since Amerikkka's Most"...ummmmm, Death Certificate is definitely the lick, Joe.

Plus between the 2 songs, WC's first verse is the best thing done lyrically on either.

• well, it's kinda unfair to compare WC to Common, or anyone else for that matter. WC has few peers.

HarveyCanal said:
    Okay, just listened to both tracks back to back for the first time ever.

First off, Common is just a minor footnote in Westside Slaughterhouse...so it's not, as some would have everyone believe, a whole Common diss track.

For Common to waste an entire Pete Rock beat to do his sycophantic best against Cube is a loss right there to begin with.

And then consider that while he does make some good points against Cube, he does so in such boring fashion.

Also, he lost me right off the bat when he said Cube "ain't made shit dope since Amerikkka's Most"...ummmmm, Death Certificate is definitely the lick, Joe.

Plus between the 2 songs, WC's first verse is the best thing done lyrically on either.

:latte:

Common Sense got in that cat. U cant spin that shit.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    Ya, you hit the nail on the head. A lot of self righteous moralizing on this one. Bores the shit outta me now, back then I listened to it.
    basically this for me too. I am not sure if its just old age cynicism or young age delusion, but either way it's hard to swallow those types of lyrics anymore.

Also, funny as to what James was saying...
    "At Ostensibly Righteous Event X, I saw Foul Shit Y."
    because one of my first experiences of such was at Common's show in Houston for this exact record. My back-packing self just couldn't understand why Common's manager got on stage to talk about people meeting him backstage...but only girls, no dudes?!?!?! Common just finished an encore of "retrospective for life" or something....my dumb ass just could not comprehend.

anyway, still like the track "Hungry"

batmon said:

I could say that maybe only 5% of Cube fans ever heard The Bitch In Yoo.

HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:

I could say that maybe only 5% of Cube fans ever heard The Bitch In Yoo.

And all of Chicago did.