Small wins

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
Gaming the system.
Finessing life.
In India they call if 'jugaad'.

Today, on the escalator into work, the nice, soft brushes on either side cleaned my shoes of snow and grit
Useless time converted to a money-saving win.

What else to take advantage of?

Comments

• Not sure if this applies to the UK, but here in America, some gas stations will offer free moist towelettes

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    the cafe in my office building sells all kinds of stuff muffins/bagels/pastries/sandwiches/coffee/tea etc i usually visit there quite a bit, i have been hoarding a stash of smuckers jam, peanut butter and honey packages salt & pepper/sugar/splenda packages for weeks now, its almost out of control...um in chill mode now..cant draw any heat to myself..

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Every day for lunch I got the local lunch counter and order a FREE cup of hot water, I then add catchup, tapatio and honey. Absolutely free high caloric tomato soup!

I never forget the free mints on the way out.

:freeway: :get_on_my_level: :real_headz: :weaksauce:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Canteen here charges 10p for a sachet of brown sauce. 10p! At least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he robbed you.

It isn't even HP sauce.

Man take a ride to Newstead Abbey for lunch, their HP sachets are free. I got me half a drawer full. It offsets their expensive coffee.

I can't afford to buy the meals that actually require the sauce, but y'know... It's the principle.

• This year, certainly more so than previous years, I have missed the seat more often with only minimal splash back in complete darkness.

dj_cityboy said:
    honey

50p for a serving in a tiny box here.

You should undercut our canteen.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Sometimes...when I'm on a road trip and need a break from the car...I eat at Fuddruckers.

I pay for a regular cheese burger and a soda. Upon receiving the burger...I stroll over to the massive condiments bar and tastefully doll up my burger....Then...I look around and discretely use the condiment bar to make the most immaculate salad ever....lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, jalape??os, etc, etc and blue cheese dressing.

Free fucking salad...My Grandfather taught me that trick when I was 5.

Last time I did this, I could have sworn I heard the guitar and bass from 'The Boss' quietly riffing in the ether of the afternoon.

Salad should be free with purchase of anything.

BTW I am told today that Clownies have free refills on all hot drinks, but they don't advertise it. The staff are all aware, doe. So, rock up with your now-empty cup and ask.

And here's me, carefully peeling off the coffee bean stickers to collect...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    skel said:
    Gaming the system.
    Finessing life.
    In India they call if 'jugaad'.

Today, on the escalator into work, the nice, soft brushes on either side cleaned my shoes of snow and grit
    Useless time converted to a money-saving win.

What else to take advantage of?

Tube escalator headstand for backcombed brilliance.

• Self checkout organic discount. Why pay more? Type in the regular produce item code.

Just covertly tore out the last page on a Dan Brown novel placed on the bookshare table.

Now I know how Tyler Durden feels.

#EMPOWERED.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Just covertly tore out the last page on a Dan Brown novel placed on the bookshare table.

Now I know how Tyler Durden feels.

#EMPOWERED.

Today, I will be posting entirely in .gifs.

Please describe the .gif, because whatever it is, it's blocked by the client's filter.

My guess is it's many rows of smilies, all bowing down towards me. Or a unicorn in a monster truck, singing your EDM mix to me (the wife said it was hard, btw. Make of that what you will.)

• Trying to eat right and avoid the starches, such as potatoes. Exercising for an hour with the dog each day. Hope to stay away from health bills.

J i m s t e r said:
    Please describe the .gif, because whatever it is, it's blocked by the client's filter.

It's Tiger Woods watching a slow roller go in and doing a calm, but satisfied fist pump.

J i m s t e r said:
    The wife said it was hard, btw. Make of that what you will.

AYO

That's what I make of it.

^^^^^^^^
    And that is Bassie doing a self-satisfied little dance.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    didn't have enough cash on me to take the bus home, so I walked and told myself it was healthy.

GatorToof said:
    Trying to eat right and avoid the starches, such as potatoes. Exercising for an hour with the dog each day. Hope to stay away from health bills.

• I'd order a specialty pizza from Pizza Hut and have it delivered to the house. Once it arrives, I'd eat a slice or two and then call up the place and say, "I asked for extra cheese and it doesn't seem like extra was added..." They say, "Well sir, we can either give you a voucher for a pizza later or we can make you another one." I choose another pizza.. two for the price of one...

• Pull into car parking space, adjacent space is free, so I can just keep on going and be facing out when I leave. Ah yeah.

Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    I'd order a specialty pizza from Pizza Hut and have it delivered to the house. Once it arrives, I'd eat a slice or two and then call up the place and say, "I asked for extra cheese and it doesn't seem like extra was added..." They say, "Well sir, we can either give you a voucher for a pizza later or we can make you another one." I choose another pizza.. two for the price of one...

Dude...duuuuude. That second pizza has more than extra cheese. It ain't worth it.

EDIT: Btw, I fucking love this thread. Thanks to Skel for thinking it up.

Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    I'd order a specialty pizza from Pizza Hut and have it delivered to the house. Once it arrives, I'd eat a slice or two and then call up the place and say, "I asked for extra cheese and it doesn't seem like extra was added..." They say, "Well sir, we can either give you a voucher for a pizza later or we can make you another one." I choose another pizza.. two for the price of one...

They don't do customer service like that in the UK. They would either issue a heartfelt "Sorry. (click)" or send the delivery dude back round to stab you.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

^^^^^^^^
    And that is Bassie doing a self-satisfied little dance.

It appears my dance partner has been air-brushed out.

My submission - I had that flu and it basically ran its course in a week. I know folks who were out with it for more than two weeks.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    last friday the train conductor AND the gate guards at my destination were awol. free journey home to kick off the weekend.

• Went to throw away an empty bag of tropical skittles and found a 20 dollar bill on the ground next to the trashcan.

Had this hot latin girl wink at me at goodwill. (if you are irish ginger you understand thus win).

• GatorToof said:
    That guy who ate 12,150 cups of chocolate pudding in one day in order to recieve 1,215,000 frequent flyer miles has this thread on lock.

Man, that must have been delicious.

who the what?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    herbacios tweed said:
    GatorToof said:
    That guy who ate 12,150 cups of chocolate pudding in one day in order to recieve 1,215,000 frequent flyer miles has this thread on lock.

who the what?

That's pretty fucking bananas.

Our IT guy here at work managed to fly damn near around the world for a couple hundred bucks out-of-pocket by rocking one of those credit cards that gives you bonus miles for signing up and per use. He basically used that card to pay for everything except his rent, made sure he paid his balance off, and stacked miles like crazy.

• no lie, this thread twisted my cap. I was at Five Guys for lunch today and it made me think what if I ordered a 99 cent diet coke and scarf down $22 worth of complimentary peanuts?

DJ_Enki said:
    herbacios tweed said:
    GatorToof said:

who the what?

That's pretty fucking bananas.

Our IT guy here at work managed to fly damn near around the world for a couple hundred bucks out-of-pocket by rocking one of those credit cards that gives you bonus miles for signing up and per use. He basically used that card to pay for everything except his rent, made sure he paid his balance off, and stacked miles like crazy.

My wife and I have been rocking this 'win' for years now. You have to be a legendary 'hole in the wall' food destination to warrant us paying cash. I probably use cash approximately 10 times a year (liberal guess)....hell even my barber has the square app on his phone so I can pay with a card and tip extra for the charge he incurs.

Mortgage? Car payments? Dinners? Records? Everything? All on the credit card.

Miles for days, whaodie. So far this has gotten us round trip tickets to hawaii twice, a round trip ticket for me to Vietnam, countless free hotels, etc.

And we (thanks to my wife's amazing book keeping/bill paying) haven't had to pay one penny in credit card interest.

Credit cards companies hate customers like us...they literally call our type of credit card user a 'dead beat'. Fuck em' all...use them relentlessly, it's easy and worth it....nothing feels better than booking an airline ticket with money that isn't yours....legally.

Jugaaaaaaaaaad

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yesterday, I became a first-time aunt to a nephew. He is beautiful and it feels like a rather big small win for all of us.
    (Other people's) Babies! Hurrah!