Word to Donald Byrd (RIP)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
Starting to filter out that Byrd died on Monday, according to his nephew:

"Donald passed away Monday in Delaware, where he lived. His funeral will be held in Detroit sometime next week. I have no more patience for this unnecessary shroud of secrecy placed over his death by certain members of his immediate family ( NOT His children! We are very tight! ) who are "handling" it. I'm letting y'all know, so spread it as far as you can! Let's remember Donald as a one of a kind pioneer of the trumpet, of the many styles of music he took on, of music education. In sum, Donald was an avid, eternal student of music, until his death. That's what I try to be, everyday!!
Rest in peace, uncle!"

Comments

• RIP to a jazz giant.

like alot of others here i am guessing, my favourite stuff is the work he did with the mizells, spaces and places, in particular...that record better make our soulstrut 100

bonus beat: he went back to university in the mid-70's to study law, he was planning to be an entertainment lawyer.

• Premature?

http://grownfolksmusic.com/blog/facebook-post-retraction-donald-byrd

No mention anywhere aside from that one Facebook post.

• Rest in Peace Donald.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    If True....

RIP to a LEGEND. His Black Byrd and Places and Spaces were Gateway albums for me in the mid 90s.

• This all come from a single facebook post which has been removed.

Just sayin'.

• Been floating around on twitter for the last 48 hours, but no actual confirmation.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    His nephew wrote this on his Facebook (not deleted) three hours ago:
    " Donald Byrd 1932- 2013
    Donald passed away Monday in Delaware, where he lived. His funeral will be held in Detroit sometime next week. I have no more patience for this unnecessary shroud of secrecy placed over his death by certain members of his immediate family ( NOT His children! We are very tight! ) who are "handling" it. I'm letting y'all know, so spread it as far as you can! Let's remember Donald as a one of a kind pioneer of the trumpet, of the many styles of music he took on, of music education. In sum, Donald was an avid, eternal student of music, until his death. That's what I try to be, everyday!!
    Rest in peace, uncle!"
    https://www.facebook.com/alex.bugnon.3
    EDIT: I just saw this was the opening post of this thread. Oh well.
    If true, RIP to a real jazz giant.

• RIP
    Big Donald Byrd fan...

There were 2 songs that seriously piqued my interest in checking out more Jazz , Art Blakey "A Night in Tunisia" and this:

• RIP. Really love some of his stuff....

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    goddamn. one of my heroes and digging inspiration. his legend cannot be understated. coincidentally i bought another copy of electric byrd today and really been enjoying that period just before the mizells - kofi, fancy free, ethiopian knights. but his whole discog is just great, great music

RIP Donaldson Toussaint L'Ouverture Byrd II

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    That Mizzell era stuff from Donald is some of the greatest groove of all time.

Serious, serious spring and summer evening feelgood 24 carat 100 pet cent grade A top of the shop chill bombs.

RIP if true.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    RIP. Truly one of the greatest.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP or Long Live...
    A great musician, great records and the stories of his classes at Howard U and the Blackbyrds.

• Terrible news. Places and Spaces is one of the best albums of the 70's at least.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    RIP, Professor.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    skel said:

Serious, serious spring and summer evening feelgood 24 carat 100 pet cent grade A top of the shop chill bombs.

Beautifully put, sir.

• coquicoqui 42 Posts
    Love the Mizell records, not to mention earlier ones like A New Perspective (in a class of its own) and Slow Drag.

So many sides to the great man. Moved things forward and, in a way, back to their roots - simultaneously, jazz music = dance music (bringing it all back home), etc.

Passing of a legend. Nonstop respect.

• I loved the "Wind Parade" sample on this. I still have his Best of Donald Byrd on tape...

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    skel said:

RIP if true.

This is totally how i feel
    Not a real spring/summer without his music

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    RIP! One of the best!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    RIP

This was the tune BITD

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    skel said:
    That Mizzell era stuff from Donald is some of the greatest groove of all time.

RIP if true.

Yes indeed.

The man was one of the key guys in getting me into that whole genre of music in the first place - timeless classics. RIP.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Dateline: late April, early evening, Friday night

Loc: a northwest European corner, in the whip, heading for some adventure, windows at half mast, bombing 70 on the big road to the coast, fields turned lush green on either side, smiles on faces; shades on, sun sinking on the horizon

The icy Siberian blast of the new year a fading memory, becoming reacquainted with warmth, all is good with the world.

And these would be on any comp CD I'd be pulling as the soundtrack to this glorious ritual.

Dominoes
    Flight Time
    Sky High
    Lansanas Priestess
    Change

Only a tenth of his career span repped here, but that's all I need right there.
    Spring is on the way.

::tralala::

• Highest respect. Donald Byrd had the kind of career and longevity and foresight that most musician's can only imagine. In my house his records have gone on and off the shelf with the kind of frequency given to very few others. Keep moving on Donald!

• RIP to a legend. such an influence on alot of what SS is all about.

• Loved this man's mind of music. Rest in peace.

• R.I.P. to one of my favorites. Love all of his 70's input, really love the album "Street Lady".

• Lansana's Priestess was one of 3 songs I linked on my Farcebook page to raise some awareness.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    R.I.P.

KOFI was one of the first albums i bought back in the 90's that got me into digging.

Such a great body of work.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Terrible news. Love me some Donald Byrd. This would be an example of why
    Definite crate staple. Rest in peace!