Beyonce Overlord

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
she's a good singer and is really good looking but enough already, pop culture needs a break. is there even such a thing as over-exposure these days?

p.s. i am aware of the inherent irony of this thread.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    We were talking about the same thing at work yesterday. I didn't even bother watching the half-time for this reason.
    Some of it has to do with the sheer number of outlets to beam one's face and body and voice into people's lives..

Which got me thinking....has there ever been a time in the past 30 or so years that we haven't at least one huge pop star dominating?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Illuminaughty.

• WOULD

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I actually think she's "slowed" down in the last couple of years.

Back during the Dream Girls/Irreplacable shit she was way more exposed.

Obama's children like her so she and Jay have been up our face. Inauguration and the At Last shit.

That Sacha Fierce shit was wack but Single Ladies was a damn hit, and that Halo crap is soft-shell crab easy listening nonsense.

In the end your gonna have to ride her out.

And she doesnt have a great voice....IMO. Its workable.

• i dont even watch football or listen to Beyonce and between the superbowl and her the tv/radio/news is overloaded indeedy with it..

• I had enough already of "Bouncy" aka Beyonce'. I would have preferred to see the Oscar and Grammy award winning Jennifer Hudson singing at halftime. It was pleasant and nostalgic to see Destiny's Child together on stage though.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Worst Etta James evarrr!!!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The idea of a music concert during the half time of a football game is stupid. Bring back the marching bands!

That said, Beyonce did perhaps the best SB HT show ever. Or at least up there with Prince.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    batmon said:

Obama's children like her so she and Jay have been up our face. Inauguration and the At Last shit.

That Sacha Fierce shit was wack but Single Ladies was a damn hit, and that Halo crap is soft-shell crab easy listening nonsense.

Don't even put "soft-shell crab" and "easy listening" in the same sentence. Soft-shell crabs are not cheeze whiz.
    :weaksauce:

batmon said:

She hasn't slowed down at all; the brand has changed.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    The idea of a music concert during the half time of a football game is stupid. Bring back the marching bands!

• LaserWolf said:
    That said, Beyonce did perhaps the best SB HT show ever. Or at least up there with Prince.

Just to provide an alternate perspective, I had six people over for the Supe and we all thought it sucked. The songs were all indistinct and the choreography was really uninspired - it was like watching her work out at the gym.

Actually, I would rather watch that.

These things mostly suck, though. Prince and Macca are the only two of recent memory that were actually good.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    batmon said:

What Batmon said. She's far from being plastered everywhere like she was before.

I thought Rhianna took her Revlon level go to pop chick.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    I would have preferred to see the Oscar and Grammy award winning Jennifer Hudson singing at halftime.

she would sing "spotlight" and "i'm telling you" and then what?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    nobody has done better than prince. period.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    batmon said:

Now THAT is a chick that's overexposed. And she doesn't really have talent either.

Why did Jazmine Sullivan's star not shine brighter?

• Her name is ALL OVER the internet, on every tabloid and music magazine in every supermarket, billboards, street advertising, etc. and yet people STILL spell her name R-H-I-A-N-N-A.

Yeeeeesh.

bassie said:
    Why did Jazmine Sullivan's star not shine brighter?

He album was suspect.

• yuichi said:
    batmon said:

Now THAT is a chick that's overexposed. And she doesn't really have talent either.

Real question. She doesn't have talent? I'm kind of baffled that someone could go that long without talent. She's no Lumidee for sure. On the flipside, she's no Aretha, but even dancing and singing at the same time is a talent most people are incapable of. Can one validly argue that she has no talent?

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I saw that Destiny's Child thing from a mile away.

b/w

Prince was the best.

Controller_7 said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:

Real question. She doesn't have talent? I'm kind of baffled that someone could go that long without talent. She's no Lumidee for sure. On the flipside, she's no Aretha, but even dancing and singing at the same time is a talent most people are incapable of. Can one validly argue that she has no talent?

The only reason she's been relevant is because she's pseudo-super model, gimmicky voice, strong Roc-a-fella push, and blessed with good songwriting. In other words, she had a grip of shit that has nothing to do with talent going for her. She is "proficient" at singing and dancing, but no where near a true star. Let's be real. This is almost like saying Roc Marciano is a dope emcee.

I bet yall cats don't know about her.

yuichi said:

U cant be serious. how can swift be under the radar?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Herm said:
    Her name is ALL OVER the internet, on every tabloid and music magazine in every supermarket, billboards, street advertising, etc. and yet people STILL spell her name O-P-R-H-A.

Yeeeeesh.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:

gramps, check that sarcasm meter.

yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

gramps, check that sarcasm meter.

Could never be quite sure w/ your latte pass steez.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    batmon said: