Turntables with line-level outputs

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
My situation is this: I'm looking to set up a turntable, plugged into my old stereo receiver, so that I can listen to records while cooking/eating (my DJ setup is on another floor in the house). The wrinkle is that my stereo receiver doesn't have a phono jack, so I need to either run an old turntable through some sort of pre-amp (sadly, I unloaded all of my old DJ mixers years ago) or get a turntable that has line-level output. I actually dug out my old HandyTrax and have that hooked up, which is working fine for now, but I'd like to step up to a proper turntable with a better/more easily replaceable needle. All I see these days are USB turntables, which are a no-go for me. I just need line-level RCA outs. Any suggestions?

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Get a pre-amp and then use whatever turntable you want.

• I haven't personally used one but have heard good things baout this line: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=850003&is=REG&A=details&Q=

and it has line level rca out.

• Just get one of these:

$17 on Amazon

Or if you want something a little better/more versatile:

$35 on Amazon

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    Yeah a pre-amp is the way to go, they can cost almost as little or as much as you want to pay for them.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I use this one:

it's tiny and it gets the job done. Like everyone else said, there are other companies that make more serious phono pre-amps that cost a lot more and take up a lot more space.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Good to know there are some good small-and-cheap pre-amps out there. I assumed they were all pricey and/or bulky. Thanks, all!

• this was recommended on here previously and works great for me.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey DJ Enki,

You could get a Stanton ST-150. It has both phono capabilities.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak