Please explain Trap!!?

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
Can someone please explain this genre/genres of music to me? Like what is the origin of this music? What is the standard musical features/criteria of this genre (BPMs, etc)? What are the classics of the genre? Is it accepted by the hood, or simply fodder for Williamsburg hipsters?

By the way, I am enjoying this trap offering by the one Just Blaze.

Comments

• phongone said:
    Williamsburg hipsters

when and why did the youthful denizens of willaimsburg seemingly become the most hated people on the planet?

b/w

we had some bullshit thraed on "trap music" last week...

• Sounds like some type of music for people in big cities, who can't escape , and are trapped running on one of those hamster wheels.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    batmon said:

Before you make any snap judgements:

1. Start the Blaze track in the first post

2. Scroll down to Batmons post and watch Spidey get trap.

3. Lite Another Joint

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    First learn what house/(dub)step/rave stands for and then ask, if necessary.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    phongone said:
    Williamsburg hipsters?
    If by "hipsters" you mean 20-somethings that have some organic condiment upstart, i would venture to say none of them could afford to live in williamsburg any more. there are more wall street types, and mr. moms in that neighborhood than anyone you would consider a hipster. can we dead this outsider stereotype already? plenty of these fools that fit your lable in baltimore, dc, seattle, dallas, ect. Leave brooklyn alone. at least we make stuff.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I ride for anything that turns my wife into a freak on the dancefloor. At the moment, trap does that better than anything else.

• Sorry to be so on topic, but I saw this recently and actually found it to be enlightening (as I only thought of trap music as early Jeezy/one of my favorite T.I. albums).

http://www.trillhd.com/video/1020/certified-trap-episode-1

• hogginthefogg said:
    early Jeezy

ay, yes, he was just a fresh faced kid about to make his stamp on the world. so much discovery, so many crazy baking soda experiments to get that perfect freebase sheen and yes, so idealistic about the world and the the belief that crack was not just some drug you heard about in a rap song but something that could be smoked by all races, creeds and colors...

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    Sorry to be so on topic, but I saw this recently and actually found it to be enlightening (as I only thought of trap music as early Jeezy/one of my favorite T.I. albums).

This is enlightening and precisely what I'm looking for. So Trap Music is mostly huge in Philly?

Re: my use of Williamsburg, yes, I agree it was incredibly lazy of me and maybe inaccurate. However, I do believe that community does typify a certain white hipster culture that is the source of many popular memes.

• phongone said:

Re: my use of Williamsburg, yes, I agree it was incredibly lazy of me and maybe inaccurate. However, I do believe that community does typify a certain white hipster culture that is the source of many popular memes.

you do realize that 99% of non-strut folks would describe all soulstrutters as being "hipsters". .

b/w

that "popular meme" is completely played out at this point

crabmongerfunk said:

you do realize that 99% of non-strut folks would describe all soulstrutters as being "hipsters". .

I seriously doubt this.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i live in williamsburg and don't have an organic sauce company and agree with cmf's assessment

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    phongone said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

I seriously doubt this.

buying records = hipster

• phongone said:
    hogginthefogg said:
    Sorry to be so on topic, but I saw this recently and actually found it to be enlightening (as I only thought of trap music as early Jeezy/one of my favorite T.I. albums).

This is enlightening and precisely what I'm looking for. So Trap Music is mostly huge in Philly?

What is remotely enlightening about this??

"you know, it's that real trap shit"

OOOOOOOHHHHHH, OK THATS ALL CLEARED UP NOW.

• this is a trap house. it refers to a house that traps crackheads into repeat business, and traps the drug dealers inside for the police to catch. also used to describe how setting up a house of this nature will trap you in the "game".

"trap house" as a genre name is a disambiguation of that term.

i think we can all assume that someone thought it sounded cool as a name, and that it combined drug-themed raps with house music.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Hood music from 10 years ago repackaged for consumption by the EDM crowd.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Music To Sell Drugs By

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Sounds like mannie fresh.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:

At least they're not just throwing Bangles acapellas over ish the way mash-up deejays from 10 years ago were in an obvious attempt to coopt yet still distance themselves from hood art.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:

Joey!

b/w

we're all getting older and some of us really sound like it.

HOLLAFAME said:
    phongone said:
    hogginthefogg said:

What is remotely enlightening about this??

"you know, it's that real trap shit"

OOOOOOOHHHHHH, OK THATS ALL CLEARED UP NOW.

Video features black guys talking about music that makes white people dance = "remotely enlightening"

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    CBear said:
    I ride for anything that turns my wife into a freak on the dancefloor. At the moment, trap does that better than anything else.

Love this post

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

couldn't help myself...

• I don't know what the fuck it is.