Your favorite debut solo album(s) from someone that departed from a band/group

13»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    He never really went solo.

That'll be your little secret...
    It's a funny thing about family is that they do things for them because it's they are family. He was in a band with his brothers...

I dont understand what your saying.

Off The Wall and Got Be There are solo joints that he did while he was still with his band/group.

The Jacksons Victory Tour is billed as The Jacksons. Not The Jacksons featuring MJ or vice-versa.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    If you listen to Black Bastards closely your can hear the seperation of them not previlant on Mr.Hood.

Black Bastard was basically them going solo on a lot of joints on there.

Sub-Sounded Like A Roc, Gimme...

Doom-Get you now, Contact Blitt, Suspended Animation...

• batmon said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

It's a funny thing about family is that they do things for them because it's they are family. He was in a band with his brothers...

Off The Wall and Got Be There are solo joints that he did while he was still with his band/group.

The Jacksons Victory Tour is billed as The Jacksons. Not The Jacksons featuring MJ or vice-versa.

If that's the case, when did he go solo? So what you're saying is that he was still doing music with the Jacksons or Jackson Five before he passed? So every album he released from Off The Wall up until his death was just "solo-joints"?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Wilson Pickett In the Midnight Hour (there is an earlier WP LP but I have never seen it)
    Eddie Floyd Knock On Wood

Both from the Falcons, which I guess fell apart, so they don't even count. Mack Rice was also a Falcon but he never put out an lp best I know.

The earlier LP is "it's too late"...on Double L and a cheapo label. It was reissued after his Atlantic success as "the best of". You can see the cheapo label version in my post on the "on deck" thread and there is a double l pressing on eBay right now. Amazing LP.

Thanks. I have had the budget one and concur, amazing lp.

Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    batmon said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

If that's the case, when did he go solo? So what you're saying is that he was still doing music with the Jacksons or Jackson Five before he passed? So every album he released from Off The Wall up until his death was just "solo-joints"?

Departed from the group means what to you?

• batmon said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    batmon said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

You are saying that Michael Jackson didn't really go solo... he did. This is one of my "favorite debut SOLO albums" from Michael Jackson...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    batmon said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    batmon said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

You are saying that Michael Jackson didn't really go solo... he did. This is one of my "favorite debut SOLO albums" from Michael Jackson...

He made many solo albums but he never DEPARTED from The Jacksons.

Teddy Pendergrass LEFT The Bluenotes.

HarveyCanal said:
    Some of these being listed are just first solo records that don't represent the artist actually LEAVING their group.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Wilson Pickett In the Midnight Hour (there is an earlier WP LP but I have never seen it)
    Eddie Floyd Knock On Wood

Both from the Falcons, which I guess fell apart, so they don't even count. Mack Rice was also a Falcon but he never put out an lp best I know.

The earlier LP is "it's too late"...on Double L and a cheapo label. It was reissued after his Atlantic success as "the best of". You can see the cheapo label version in my post on the "on deck" thread and there is a double l pressing on eBay right now. Amazing LP.

The Double L album was actually reissued several times:
    It's Too Late (Up Front)
    Wickedness (Trip - the version I have)
    Great Wilson Pickett Hits (Wand)
    The Best Of Wilson Pickett (Scepter)
    Great Oldies (Ala)

...and God knows what else. Basically if you see any Pickett LP with "It's Too Late," "If You Need Me," "Down To My Last Heartbreak," "I Can't Stop," etc., then it's a reissue of the Double L album. Worth getting.

• Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    batmon said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    batmon said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

de??part (d-p??rt)
    v. de??part??ed, de??part??ing, de??parts
    v.intr.
    1. To go away; leave.
    2. To die.
    3. To vary, as from a regular course; deviate: depart from custom. See Synonyms at swerve.
    v.tr.
    To go away from; leave

Perhaps Michael Jackson "deviated" or departed from the Jacksons to persue a solo career, but you can never really depart from your family. Either way, it was a solo album from a solo artist.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Give MJ a fucking rest already. Thanks.

Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    batmon said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    batmon said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

de??part (d-p??rt)
    v. de??part??ed, de??part??ing, de??parts
    v.intr.
    1. To go away; leave.
    2. To die.
    3. To vary, as from a regular course; deviate: depart from custom. See Synonyms at swerve.
    v.tr.
    To go away from; leave

Perhaps Michael Jackson "deviated" or departed from the Jacksons to persue a solo career, but you can never really depart from your family. Either way, it was a solo album from a solo artist.

Off The Wall 79 - Triumph - 80.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Sucks cause I'm itching to name a number of solo projects but a solo project doesn't necessarily mean it's a departure because the artist might still be a part of the group. haha

NerdAlert said:
    Sucks cause I'm itching to name a number of solo projects but a solo project doesn't necessarily mean it's a departure because the artist might still be a part of the group. haha

Like Michael, Jermaine began a solo career while still a member of The Jackson 5, and had a hit with the 1972 Shep and the Limelites cover "Daddy's Home". It sold over one million copies by March 1973, and was awarded a gold disc.[3] When The Jackson 5 left Motown, Jermaine left the group and stayed at Motown, as he had married Hazel Gordy, and Motown head Berry Gordy was his father-in-law

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    After leaving the short lived Fear Itself

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    There are some nice choices here.
    But no matter what parameters you use I don't think we can beat Curtis.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Enjoyed the responses! Yeah it's a bit of a tricky question, if I was Axl Rose, I'd select Chinese Democracy.

• love that Doomsday album!

• sweet linda divine.

peace, stein. . .

• Definitely second Curtis Mayfield's "Curtis" and Kevin Ayers "Joy of a Toy". Would also like to add Chris Bell "I am the Cosmos". After The Zombies brilliant "Odessey and Oracle" album, singer Colin Blunstone went solo released a gem of an album in "One Year".
    Attached files

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts
    I'm surprised no one mentioned this...