Your favorite debut solo album(s) from someone that departed from a band/group

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

Deal with it.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    batmon said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

I try so hard to get into this album. Girlfriend is MY SHIT(the sister in that video is right up there w/ Tracy Reed), but after that its a wrap.
    Its funny cause the Larry Blackmon shoulda kinda worked. He was still relevant in 85/86. But no hit singles

The next New Jack Swing album is where the jump off was. You never hear any of the singles from the first album after that.

Man I was like you for years about this album and one day it clicked. Keep listening.

Oh Don't Be Cruel is the masterpiece, I agree.

• mrmatthew said:

Deal with it.

I rideth.

• Has to be the Curtis Mayfield solo debut.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts

• Ice Cube-Amerikkkas Most Wanted

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    batmon said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

I try so hard to get into this album. Girlfriend is MY SHIT(the sister in that video is right up there w/ Tracy Reed), but after that its a wrap.
    Its funny cause the Larry Blackmon shoulda kinda worked. He was still relevant in 85/86. But no hit singles

The next New Jack Swing album is where the jump off was. You never hear any of the singles from the first album after that.

Man I was like you for years about this album and one day it clicked. Keep listening.

Ta me, its not really even Underrated Modern Soul. The game was changing and he didn't have the production to push him over the top.

He cant really sing-sing, so it was until he came to Harlem where he found that right soundscape for his skill to flourish.

He needed that Hip Hop-esque feel. Ralph took cues and built on his formula.

Imma listen to it again.....for the tenth time.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

this is a pretty strong contender with me.

SIRUS said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

Imma Nit Pick since we all do that here.

Did he go solo, or did the group dissolve way before then and then he just went for self?

Were they working(discussing) a third album and his brother passed?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    yeah, i guess he didn't leave the group since the group ceased to exist after subroc died. they were dropped right before that happened so who knows what would have happened?

in that case i gotta go with ice cube too.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    supposedly the bulk of the beats on doomsday were beats that subroc was working on for the third but i don't know how true that is.

• Woooowww, how could I forget this one??

"Can You Help Me?" was the joint.

Juan Cocktolstoy said:

Woooowww, how could I forget this one??.

He did Triumph and The Jackson Live afterwards.

He never really went solo.

Dude popped up on the wack-ass 2300 Jackson Street after Victory.

Like i said before, dude has Music & Me, Ben, and Got To Be There during his run with the J5.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Wilson Pickett In the Midnight Hour (there is an earlier WP LP but I have never seen it)
    Eddie Floyd Knock On Wood

Both from the Falcons, which I guess fell apart, so they don't even count. Mack Rice was also a Falcon but he never put out an lp best I know.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    I used to work with a seven-fingered car mechanic who's into Ozzy and put me up on 'Blizzard'.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    batmon said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

When Bobby was riding high with album #2, already this first LP was a bargain-bin special. He basically OWNED that winter of 1998-99, yet King Of Stage was on the wall at Peaches with a $2.99 sticker.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    if some people are going this route:

b/w

first solo after he left Os Originais do Samba and before he went on to do comedy on tv for the rest of his life...

• Tricky's debut was Maxinquaye but I'm sure you know that already.

• Don't know if this counts - was it before or after "Hey, Love"?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    SP 1200 said:
    Tricky's debut was Maxinquaye but I'm sure you know that already.

that's what I meant. In my head it's always PMT just because that's the one I heard first...

• Maybe Jay Dee "Welcome 2 Detroit" also.

• LaserWolf said:
    Wilson Pickett In the Midnight Hour (there is an earlier WP LP but I have never seen it)
    Eddie Floyd Knock On Wood

Both from the Falcons, which I guess fell apart, so they don't even count. Mack Rice was also a Falcon but he never put out an lp best I know.

The earlier LP is "it's too late"...on Double L and a cheapo label. It was reissued after his Atlantic success as "the best of". You can see the cheapo label version in my post on the "on deck" thread and there is a double l pressing on eBay right now. Amazing LP.

• He never really went solo.

That'll be your little secret...
    It's a funny thing about family is that they do things for them because it's they are family. He was in a band with his brothers...

batmon said:
    SIRUS said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

Imma Nit Pick since we all do that here.

Did he go solo, or did the group dissolve way before then and then he just went for self?

Were they working(discussing) a third album and his brother passed?

Nah, before Sub passed they were already working on solo shit.

Sub wanted to do a project called "Illegal Aliens".

Doom was married having his first son. Not sure where he was at musically at the time. I know after Sub died and Elektra fucked him he consider quitting music all together.