new cats (music discoveries thread)

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
use this thread to introduce the strut to a local artist that your feeling but that's still under the radar

if chosen montreal's prodigal son kaytranada
this kid started making beats at 16 and I've witnessed his growth first hand
now 19 he went from doing shows with his local crew to getting signed to HW&W records (LA) and doing Osheaga, opening for SlumV and being broadcast on gilles' show
kid is blwing up locally but i am sure cats on here would feel him

what new cats should be heard in your neck of the woods?

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    This dude used to live here. I hosted/DJed a few MC battles he was in like 8-9 years ago or so. Other dude (N8 NoFace) in the video is a friend of mine. (Brother of Zackey Force Funk, which some of you may know.) He's part of a group called CrimeKILLZ. Super dope 8-bit punk rock music.
    Anyways, I'm far removed from this lifestyle but I dig this song.

Here's another with both of 'em:

And here's N8 on his own:

This is my favorite:

Not for everybody, I know.

• pcmr said:
    use this thread to introduce the strut to a local artist that your feeling but that's still under the radar

if chosen montreal's prodigal son kaytranada
    this kid started making beats at 16 and I've witnessed his growth first hand
    now 19 he went from doing shows with his local crew to getting signed to HW&W records (LA) and doing Osheaga, opening for SlumV and being broadcast on gilles' show
    kid is blwing up locally but i am sure cats on here would feel him

as feat on day's recent auckland mix and oh yeah on gilles peterson

• Kaytranada's got some Soundcloud heat! That "If" remix was what first got my attention...

Here's a track I've been feeling by another HW&W dude, Sweater Beats -- remix/rework/whateverthefuck of MJ's "Remember the Time"

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Our local synth geek:

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Repping my home country, this is some really good Icelandic reggae.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Repping Tokyo, the place I live now, some amazing field-recording based music from Yosi Horikawa. His album is dropping soon, a must get.

YOSI HORIKAWA - AOTEAROA from Tom Gould on Vimeo.