the other side of reason.

vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
i've been seeing this everywhere lately. an old man said that a pretty girl was in fact a pretty girl on television and lots of people think it's inappropriate.

i have watched this video numerous times at this point and still fail to see that part where he's saying something bad.

with soulstrut's stirred cocktails of liberals, conservatives, reactionists, bleeding hearts and contrarians, i was curious as to what the call was here.

"Musburger Criticized for Remarks About Star???s Girlfriend During Title Game
By MARY PILON
Published: January 8, 2013

On Tuesday morning, commentary on the broadcast of the Bowl Championship Series national title game between Alabama and Notre Dame included words like ???creepy,??? ???awkward,??? ???uncomfortable??? and ???heteronormative.???.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/09/sports/ncaafootball/brent-musburger-criticized-for-remarks-about-miss-alabama.html?_r=0

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Can't see her elbows.

• from the same article:

"???It???s extraordinarily inappropriate to focus on an individual???s looks,??? said Sue Carter, a professor of journalism at Michigan State. ???In this instance, the appearance of the quarterback???s girlfriend had no bearing on the outcome of the game. It???s a major personal violation, and it???s so retrograde that it???s embarrassing. I think there???s a generational issue, but it???s incumbent on people practicing in these eras to keep up and this is not a norm.???"

division rivalry/sour grapes?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    At first glance, I judge elbows, but only because I can't judge lungs...you know, what's on the inside.

• so we're not allowed to openly appreciate beauty anymore? this is the naomi wolf-ization of culture.

that said, i understand why it is innpropriate to say these kinds of things in a professional setting.

• ESPN apologized for Brent Musburger's commentary on Katherine Webb, Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron's girlfriend and 2012 Miss Alabama.

???We always try to capture interesting storylines and the relationship between an Auburn grad who is Miss Alabama and the current Alabama quarterback certainly met that test,??? ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys tweeted. ???However, we apologize that the commentary in this instance went too far and Brent understands that.???

• strikes me as a case of "burying the lead"

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    This dude is being called out for focusing on and obsessing over the beauty of a young girl...the same girl who was crowned "Ms. Alabama" in a contest that focuses on and obsesses over the beauty of young girls!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    he did say something about "throwing a football around her backyard." Is that some kind of old white man slang?

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    in all fairness there's a bit too much 'whooooooo-haaaaaaaaaa what a smokin' lady' going on there. not saying the reaction is not exagerated...

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    from the same article:

"???It???s extraordinarily inappropriate to focus on an individual???s looks,??? said Sue Carter, a professor of journalism at Michigan State. ???In this instance, the appearance of the quarterback???s girlfriend had no bearing on the outcome of the game. It???s a major personal violation, and it???s so retrograde that it???s embarrassing. I think there???s a generational issue, but it???s incumbent on people practicing in these eras to keep up and this is not a norm.???"

division rivalry/sour grapes?

What does Sue Carter look like?

Why does Sue Carter not want anyone to publically state that someone is attractive? Major personal violation? In this instance? The QB's girlfriend has stated she was flattered. Where does Sue Carter get off being offended for someone else?

SInce when are commentator's required to only talk about things that have a bearing on the outcome of the game?

Sue Carter gets the gas face.

TheKindCromang said:
    strikes me as a case of "burying the lead"

Is that Willie Nelson on his chest?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Ah yes, Sue Carter must be unattractive herself and that is why she doesn't want other women's good looks to be highlighted.
    It is a good idea to take women seriously depending on how cute they may or may or not be.

I didn't find it creepy or out of line, just tacky, lacking professionalism and good judgement as pointed out by ESPN's producers.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    SPROTS SPROTS SPROTS

Remember when AJ Hawk was dating Brady Quinn's sister and they had the camera on her all the time?

I do....and I want to kill myself for remembering that.

bassie said:
    Ah yes, Sue Carter must be unattractive herself and that is why she doesn't want other women's good looks to be highlighted.
    It is a good idea to take women seriously depending on how cute they may or may or not be.

I didn't find it creepy or out of line, just tacky, lacking professionalism and good judgement as pointed out by ESPN's producers.

Actually, it's a good idea to take people seriously based on what they think and say.

The fact that Sue Carter is being offended by something that has nothing at all to do with her, when the person at issue has publically said that she is flattered by the attention, shows that Sue Carter is not someone to be taken seriously on this matter.

What Sue Carter looks like is, of course, irrelevant. However, her being unattractive is no surprise, either.

vintageinfants said:

Cosby collection?

double.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    bassie said:
    The soulstrut masculine mystique in full effect.

My mom is married to this jerk who says stuff like he's able to take Gloria Steinem more seriously as a feminist than Betty Friedan because Gloria Steinem is obviously choosing to be a feminist, where Betty Friedan--as a "not very attractive lady"--just kinda defaulted into feminism. You know--like, where else is an ugly broad like that gonna go?

SUCK MY LEFT ONE

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Mildly inappropriate.

Not deserving of more than passing mention.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    When a women tells you something is inappropriate, the best thing to do is ask a bunch of guys if she is right.

I think we all can agree that sports announcers should kill time by talking about control.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    When a women tells you something is inappropriate, the best thing to do is ask a bunch of guys if she is right.

I think we all can agree that sports announcers should kill time by talking about control.

I'll make you a deal.

If only women can comment on subjects that involve a woman, then only men can comment on a subject that involves a man.

That will really improve societal discourse as a whole.

• Katherine tells us, ???I laughed hysterically. I was flattered ??? and slightly embarrassed ??? but I thought it was the funniest thing ever. I never expected that.???
    She adds, ???I???ve been reading on Twitter that Musburger had backlash that he???s ???Creepy??? ??? if I were to see him I would say, ???I don???t think you???re creepy at all!??????

vintageinfants said:
    Katherine tells us, ???I laughed hysterically. I was flattered ??? and slightly embarrassed ??? but I thought it was the funniest thing ever. I never expected that.???
    She adds, ???I???ve been reading on Twitter that Musburger had backlash that he???s ???Creepy??? ??? if I were to see him I would say, ???I don???t think you???re creepy at all!??????

Stop right there. Sue Carter knows better whether or not Katherine Webb should be offended. Don't listen to Katherine.

:admiralakbar: