Word Or Turd / Unknown Disco Modern Soul 45

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
Found this promo only disco/modern soul 45 and can not find any info on the Internetz.....so you dudes that are into this sound tell me....yay or nay?

Comments

• I like it but I wouldn't say it's mindblowing.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    bobtheorange said:
    I like it but I wouldn't say it's mindblowing.

I agree. It's in the top half but it's still kind of average.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Disco. Not bad.

• Sounds ok more Modern Soul than anything else I'd say.

• Turd

• this is amazing....i can't believe anybody would call this a turd...i'll gladly trade a funk 45 for this!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Dope track, definitely.

• I wouldn't go as far as saying it's an amazing track but it's most def really cool. Go source it!

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    It's ok.
    If this was a b-side of a record is bought I'd think yeah cool track for a flip side, nice little bonus. But this would be strong enough for me to buy as a main track.

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    I really like this track!

• Rockadelic...how does it sound to you? You have no opinion on 70's soul/funk/disco?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    crazypoprock said:
    Rockadelic...how does it sound to you? You have no opinion on 70's soul/funk/disco?

6/10...... but mine is not a well tuned ear for this stuff.

• I'd say better than 6/10. Not sure if I'm as crazy about it as poprock... seems to be missing the big build and pay-off that the best of these have.

sounds too produced to be totally unknown.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    ... seems to be missing the big build and pay-off that the best of these have.

sounds too produced to be totally unknown.

I'm not crazy about the intro and completely agree about the lack of build-up/pay off.

I'm pretty sure it's unknown to most guys into this sound.

• i guess i was just expecting it to be really borderline to questionable so i was pleasantly surprised that it's a solid 70's soul tune with a hint of disco...maybe not amazing but pretty dope. and i feel you Rockadelic...i wouldn't know how to judge many genres....such as death metal or modern country.

• also, i bet it would do quite well in an auction with other similiar tunes.

let's get the guessing game going...i'm think....$80-100? modern soul roadshow

• i'd definitely play it! i like it more on disco side than modern soul stuff but this is nice. as for the price my guess would be no more than $40?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I get so confused by the modern soul, disco, boogie categories.

I don't hear anything I would call modern soul.
    Seems like a straight up disco track.
    The gospel piano intro and bass solo would keep it from being a dance floor winner, I would think.

But, like the op, I don't really have an ear for this stuff.
    I used to listen to disco in the 70s and back then disco sounded like this track.

• maybe this is a topic for a different thread...and i'm sure it's been covered already. disco and boogie are fairly well defined to my ears...boogie picks up where disco left off at the turn of the 80s and is more synth driven and heavier on the funk...i guess.
    modern soul seems like a revisionist term and is something akin to northern soul in the sense that it's an umbrella term for obscure and harder to classify soul from the disco era and thru the whole of the 80's.

crazypoprock said:
    i wouldn't know how to judge many genres....such as modern country.

I can give you a quick lesson....it all sucks...every last bit of it.

• crazypoprock said:
    maybe this is a topic for a different thread...and i'm sure it's been covered already. disco and boogie are fairly well defined to my ears...boogie picks up where disco left off at the turn of the 80s and is more synth driven and heavier on the funk...i guess.
    modern soul seems like a revisionist term and is something akin to northern soul in the sense that it's an umbrella term for obscure and harder to classify soul from the disco era and thru the whole of the 80's.

I do not think that modern soul and boogie are synonymous... same w/r/t disco

• i'm saying it's soul from the disco and boogie era...i/e late 70's thru the 80's...it's definitely different that boogie.

This is a disco song. I can't believe you guys had me listen to this turd again to see if I missed something. 5/10, I now hate it. Not even close to a modern soul/boogie song, listen to the drum beat.

• so anything with a 4/4 beat is a disco song?

Anything that reminds me of Disco Inferno is a disco song :lol:

• modern soul and boogie are not the same thing

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    modern soul and boogie are not the same thing
    I agree, those who don't need to clean their earholes

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sorry to start the genre debate.
    Some posters had called it modern soul. This confused me.

I am glad that most everyone agrees this disco.

Gospel inflected piano intro, and gospelsouldisco vocal, lead some to think it was more soul than disco.
    We will just call that different ears and dividing lines.
    I can go back to thinking that disco, boogie and modern soul are what I thought they were.

A few years ago this cut would have set some off on a tirade against popping bass.