CLEAR THE PLACE OUT (ON PURPOSE), END OF THE NIGHT SONGS

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
Inspired by:

I can't remember what she was on about - remind me.

I mean it could be a heartfelt breakdown of why Number One Stunna should get played instead of Still Fly or a drunken ramble on why John Meyer belongs on everyone's set list.

It was the party is about to end, I'm now stupid drunk and haven't yet tried to dance all night like everyone else at the party already has, and would you please play some dance music aka one of the 3 Michael Jackson and/or New Order songs that I've ever been willing to dance to. I remember her being especially pissed that I played a pitched up Satisfaction by Devo (that I wasn't really intending as a dance song, more of a can this be my last song before I pack up and leave song) and the dude who hired me happened to be walking by right then as she was bitching about what in the world is this, to which he said C'MON, THAT'S GREAT, IT'S DEVO. Anyway...

Have we had one of these threads before?
What do you play to get people the F out of the place so you can go home / lock the door to drink and get red with the staff / go eat / go get laid / go to the next party / etc.?

It used to be that any rap would get the message across (my night is pre90s reggae and soul), now it makes them want to stay. I need to change tactics.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Friendly Version: Steam - Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye.

Not So Friendly Version: Acid House remix of 2 Live Crew's Get the Fuck Out of My House, Bitch.

• in the mid-90's there was this amazing party in montreal at the just for laughs museum. it was the best party i have ever been to hands down. anyhow, as the night wore on it was getting really humid and some of the exhibits were getting damaged so they had to shut er down. i think it was sash and digweed and guys like that doing the music.. the song they played to try and clear everyone out was the beatles' "twist and shout"...and to everyone's amazement the whole raved out, too cool for school scene got down like nothing else. the song ended and the crowd just roared in triumph. then the night ended but something was so special about that juxtapostion, it maded sense.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    a bar in SF dropped this when i was there. cleared the place with the quickness.

• maru said:
    a bar in SF dropped this when i was there. cleared the place with the quickness.

"so finish your whiskey or beer" is the worst lyric ever.

• I like to play the Thrills "I ain't got the money to pay for this drink" as everyone is trying to settle their tab for the night.

• pull the faders, look surprised & blame the staff. whatever noise you play, someone will love it.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    When I played out Ol Dirty Bastard's version of "Good Morning Heartache" was always my end of the night song. I liked the idea of having a traditional sign off, like Frankie Crocker playing "Moody's Mood For Love".

• So long, farewell,,

Sound of music SDTK

• Since the bars close around here at 3 am...Johnny Guitar Watson "3 hours past midnight" is another end of nighterfor me...

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Anything off of bob marley - legend with the lights up. no one wants to be seen dancing to that.

• If hipsters are the problem try Jackson Browne "Running on empty"

• Scorpio Brothers in VA had the best "get the f*ck out of here" last song:

"The Greatest American Hero" theme by Joey Scarbury

• yuppies hate it. hipsteurs get the message.

• talking heads = yuppie manna

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

I use this but the funny thing is people still hang around and dance to it... It's hard to get rid of drunks even when the lights are on and nothing is being played.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    DeeRock said:

I use this but the funny thing is people still hang around and dance to it... It's hard to get rid of drunks even when the lights are on and nothing is being played.

This song is fantastic. Thanks!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Said it before but the miserable chords and bleating delivery of Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" will get everyone in a quiet, lachrymose mood. Contemplating their own sour twists on life's meandering path. If you get it over quickly enough, you should be able to hear tears at the bar.

• I've been using this one for years now. Works like a charm.

• beautiful, slow song but just righteous and dark enough to scare the shit outta drunks.

• I never really liked dropping floor-killers at the end of the night but one time I did. I played Pat Metheny "Slip Away" and to my utter bewilderment the place went bonkers. Four years later and I still have people requesting it at gigs.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    "Finish up your drinks", I would guess this would work pretty well...

• used to drop Portishead's "Glory Box" (one of the 12" mixes) to wrap a early-00s hip-hop night in Harlem.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    This is mine for a much gentler approach

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    Sagittarian Movements said:
    used to drop Portishead's "Glory Box" (one of the 12" mixes) to wrap a early-00s hip-hop night in Harlem.

I've tried using Portished to close the jam just the once, folks were trying to dance to it whilst giving me what the fuck you playing this for looks.
    They clearly didn't realise it was there time to fuck off.

For the last year or so of my last regular gig I'd end every night with Mayfields/moving on up. Would drive the floor fucking crazy, we'd put the lights on towards the end to give people am idea things were closing soon, and it always worked people accepted its the end of the night, most with a smile on their face.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    Sagittarian Movements said:
    used to drop Portishead's "Glory Box" (one of the 12" mixes) to wrap a early-00s hip-hop night in Harlem.

I've tried using Portished to close the jam just the once, folks were trying to dance to it whilst giving me what the fuck you playing this for looks.
    They clearly didn't realise it was there time to fuck off.

For the last year or so of my last regular gig I'd end every night with Mayfields/moving on up. Would drive the floor fucking crazy, we'd put the lights on towards the end to give people am idea things were closing soon, and it always worked people accepted its the end of the night, most with a smile on their face.