DJ Shadow booted during his set for being 'too difficult'

Comments

• leonleon 883 Posts
    staxwax said:

And I love Endtroducing btw. You diss endtroducing you diss yourself. shit is classic as classic comes.

:puto:
    I'm sure it will hit the SoulStrut top 20.
    B/w
    "It's either an inflatable, tux or a sphere! Now get lost!"

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'm sure he got paid his fee, and he walked after only working 20 minutes in a lame club.... sounds like a win to me.

• Delay said:
    I'm sure he got paid his fee, and he walked after only working 20 minutes in a lame club.... sounds like a win to me.

Strapped for cash^^^

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    GatorToof said:
    Delay said:

Strapped for cash^^^

You sound strapped for sense.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Shadow plays Atmospheres Hop, Promoter Gives Him the Hook.
    I feel anyone should be allowed to yank the talent if they're not getting what they want, as long as that person still gets paid. I've often thought that many talk show hosts should be like "Get the fuck off my show" to a few of the guests that come on. Having said that though, the club should have known/done the research to know that DJ Shadow wasn't going to meet their "target demographic's" core tastes and not booked him to start.

• knewjak said:
    GatorToof said:
    Delay said:

Strapped for cash^^^

You sound strapped for sense.

Lol, yeah I need help learning how to add. If I need help with any subtraction I will send you PM.
    Kthnxbai

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I wonder if Shadow is thinking - If only these people could hear what I do they would love it.
    Perhaps he has done other party clubs and won audiences over.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    The_Non said:
    I feel anyone should be allowed to yank the talent if they're not getting what they want, as long as that person still gets paid. I've often thought that many talk show hosts should be like "Get the fuck off my show" to a few of the guests that come on. Having said that though, the club should have known/done the research to know that DJ Shadow wasn't going to meet their "target demographic's" core tastes and not booked him to start.

You're so american. ;-)
    If he would be in the game just for the money you are right. But if you allege some kind of artistic persuasion, then it's quite unsatisfying to get sacked after 20 minutes. To treat an artist like that is very disrespectful.

BTW:

• Why did shadow study in college?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Allow me to shed a little light on this...

I work directly across the street from Mansion. I run the door at a smaller venue. I literally see Mansion's door (and guests etc) all night long.
    They have a marquee outside the space (it was previously a movie theater). Shadow's name went up on Thursday (the gig was on the Friday). My first reaction was "Cool!", swiftly followed by "Er... wait. What?"
    Mansion is a 'commercial' nightclub. Crowd pleasing DJs. Emphasis on bottle service (which they are incredibly successful with). Recently Steve Aoki played there and the line was around the block. Everybody had a good time as I understand.
    Recently a huge music festival was cancelled here in Miami - the UR1 Festival. When the cancellation was made public, the organizers 'sold off' a lot of the acts they had contractually booked (at a discount) in order to recover whatever money they could. This is why we had Richie Hawtin and Pete Tong playing over the previous weekend at multiple venues. I'm pretty certain Shadow was another of the 'UR1 Festival' DJs - hence the booking.

However.

To book him at Mansion was a HUGE mistake. It's simply not his crowd. And even the kids who do know Shadow and turned up to hear him DJ were turned away at the door as the majority of them did not meet the dress code.
    Shadow would have gone down well at a different venue (downtown for instance, like Grand Central, The Vagabond or Bardot). Mansion are totally at fault here and I'm sure whoever booked him was fired not long after.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    The_Non said:

You're so american. ;-)
    If he would be in the game just for the money you are right. But if you allege some kind of artistic persuasion, then it's quite unsatisfying to get sacked after 20 minutes. To treat an artist like that is very disrespectful.

Oh, I mean, I get that it sucks for Shadow, it's not "nice," and fairly disrespectful, but I get WHY this foo did it and he is running a business. I think both parties are at fault tho.

• Shadow tours probably 5 months out of the year. Once in a while your gonna have a shit night, and maybe not move the crowd. Not a big fucking deal. I bet if you browsed through his playlist for the night he probably had planned a immaculately well thought out Bass set for the night that most Florida heads would know, and appreciate. (maybe not these poodles)? Davis actually wrote a well informed piece on Miami Bass in Grand Royal Magazine in the 90's, so his respect for Miami runs long and deep. I'm pretty sure he was prepared for this shit, just didn't get the chance to kill it. I say fuck that place times 10!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    do u think some 20 yr old meathead knows shit about maggotron records and shit? all they want is that euroclub trance bullschitt

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    GatorToof said:
    Delay said:

Strapped for cash^^^
    Huh? ... I DJ for a living, dude. Work is work. I mean, I'm sure you want your clients to climax quick so you can get that ass back on the track and maximize your time...same concept.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DJBombjack said:
    Allow me to shed a little light on this...

I work directly across the street from Mansion. I run the door at a smaller venue. I literally see Mansion's door (and guests etc) all night long.
    They have a marquee outside the space (it was previously a movie theater). Shadow's name went up on Thursday (the gig was on the Friday). My first reaction was "Cool!", swiftly followed by "Er... wait. What?"
    Mansion is a 'commercial' nightclub. Crowd pleasing DJs. Emphasis on bottle service (which they are incredibly successful with). Recently Steve Aoki played there and the line was around the block. Everybody had a good time as I understand.
    Recently a huge music festival was cancelled here in Miami - the UR1 Festival. When the cancellation was made public, the organizers 'sold off' a lot of the acts they had contractually booked (at a discount) in order to recover whatever money they could. This is why we had Richie Hawtin and Pete Tong playing over the previous weekend at multiple venues. I'm pretty certain Shadow was another of the 'UR1 Festival' DJs - hence the booking.

However.

To book him at Mansion was a HUGE mistake. It's simply not his crowd. And even the kids who do know Shadow and turned up to hear him DJ were turned away at the door as the majority of them did not meet the dress code.
    Shadow would have gone down well at a different venue (downtown for instance, like Grand Central, The Vagabond or Bardot). Mansion are totally at fault here and I'm sure whoever booked him was fired not long after.

This makes all the pieces fall into place. Thanks for the

• Yes, thank you Bombjack!

• SIRUS said:
    do u think some 20 yr old meathead knows shit about maggotron records and shit? all they want is that euroclub trance bullschitt

Oh for sure, and without question. But this is what he' does, is known for, and has been doing for 20 years. Simple and plain.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    coolchris said:
    SIRUS said:

Oh for sure, and without question. But this is what he' does, is known for, and has been doing for 20 years. Simple and plain.

right, so in this case, it doesn't matter if he is good at what he does or not, as the crowd at that venue don't want to hear that type of music... it's certainly not Shadow's fault, he does what he does...

somehow the fact that you can now hear literally any song in history on the internet has actually made people more entrenched and narrow minded in their tastes... i find that people are less willing to outside of their comfort zone than they were 10-15 years ago...

i don't know if it's been mentioned, but mansion has done this to quite a few DJ's... anyone is not playing a narrow selection of euro electro autotuned whatever is not going to go over well there...

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/crossfade/2012/02/mansion_kicks_dj_dennis_ferrer_off_decks_not_commercial_enough.php

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    DJBombjack said:
    I work directly across the street from Mansion. I run the door at a smaller venue.

You work at Naked Pizza? Decent lunch spot. I like the omnivore pizza.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Scott said:
    DJBombjack said:
    I work directly across the street from Mansion. I run the door at a smaller venue.

You work at Naked Pizza? Decent lunch spot. I like the omnivore pizza.

^^^

The pizza there is awesome - or was... it's been closed for over 2 weeks now...

• staxwax said:

but dude your fantasy scene of screw being protected by his armed homies at all times is suspect b/w mad funny

hahahahaha im sayin! screw even said in an interview that one of the spots he had a night at, people would come up to the booth (who were miraculously not boxcutter'd by his entourage) and say shit like "play something different/faster, etc" and he would say "come on a different night"

• lionel richie hawtin said:
    staxwax said:

but dude your fantasy scene of screw being protected by his armed homies at all times is suspect b/w mad funny

hahahahaha im sayin! screw even said in an interview that one of the spots he had a night at, people would come up to the booth (who were miraculously not boxcutter'd by his entourage) and say shit like "play something different/faster, etc" and he would say "come on a different night"

"regulating mans"

• Wrong Dj for wrong crowd simple. Can't begrudge Shadow for being true to himself would love to have seen Keb Darge's reaction if he was in a similar situation might have headbutted a few people and got on the mike and abused the crowd.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    lionel richie hawtin said:
    staxwax said:

Right, Southside people with friendly requests...not Bruno Bourdeau in his Miami Vice duds trying to shut shit down. That would not fly.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    staxwax said:

True story -- at a rave in the 1990s at Route 66 roller rink in Chicago, someone in a house DJ's entourage (maybe Boo Williams?) flashed a piece at some happy hardcore DJ to get him off the decks, but I think the crowd was in agreement that it was a good move.

• HarveyCanal said:
    staxwax said:

Right, Southside people with friendly requests...not Bruno Bourdeau in his Miami Vice duds trying to shut shit down. That would not fly.

clearly you are a hood expert in all things southside

Try me.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    The stories of people lining up for blocks and blocks to buy Screw tapes from his home in Houston are legendary down here. He made a lot of money, and as far as I know he was never robbed. Maybe folks approached him before he was famous, but after he was established I would have a hard time believing anyone having the balls to ask him to play anything. You pretty much knew what you were getting with him. It's not hyperbole when I say that just about anyone under forty in Texas knows who Screw is, regardless of their taste in music.

If any Strutters are wondering where to start in the Screw catalog, 3 N The Morning is his magnum opus.

See the size of that dude right behind Screw? Typically, there'd be like 8-12 dudes all that size surrounding Screw at all times.

Nothing fantasy about it.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

See the size of that dude right behind Screw? Typically, there'd be like 8-12 dudes all that size surrounding Screw at all times.

Nothing fantasy about it.

PAUSE