DJ Shadow booted during his set for being 'too difficult'

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Flomotion said:
    GatorToof said:
    I don't know shadow and I don't know the Miami mansion.

Seems like a case of the Dj brought the wrong music.

A gig is potential employment opportunity. Diversification is Teh key to survival, especially when your playing in new places, under a different management.

Doc got it right. He's not a wedding DJ with a bag full of Kiss100 club bangers.

Yeah, but that doesn't give him the right to spin some avant garde shit either. He can do whatever, but if shit isn't going over well, then they have the right to give him the boot.

Agreed 100%. I wouldn't blame Shadow or the person who made the call to pull his set. He's got the right to play what he's known for and the club absolutely has the right to move him on but just trying to work out who they thought they were getting.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    GatorToof said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Burns said:
    What was Josh playing at da clurb anyways in Miami? Was he playing his brain-freeze samplaplaya steez? In a sense you could blame it on Shadow, know your venue and play what the people want.

I disagree. The fault lies solely with the club. Someone at that level, you book them because they play what they play, not what Bobby Bottleservice expects to hear. I don't care whether it's the Mansion or Wills & Kate's wedding reception - you book a dude like Villalobos, you don't get all Gong Show on his ass for playing minimal shit all night. That's what he does. Know your job. If you're all about "giving the people what they want", then book DJs who are happy to do that, not dudes who are internationally-known for doing a very specific kind of thing that might not appeal to your clientele.

It's not like DJ Shadow is some unknown entity whose musical selections are a total mystery. If you need a big name who can be a chameleon and will play whatever is necessary to engage the crowd then book one of them. They're not hard to find. Shadow has always done "his thing," and if you book him, then ask him not to do that, it's your own fault for being stupid.

Either way, Shadow missed an opportunity. Additionally, he got slapped with some (eBay lingo) negative feedback.

An opportunity to do what, exactly? Say he caved and played an Afrojack set. What does that accomplish for him?

• So now promoters, are allowed to be the artistic directors for performers they don't even know?

I haven't bought a shadow record since last century, find him boring, but i cannot in anyway agree with this line of reasoning that the promoters hold all the cards in a musical performance.

• DJ_Enki said:
    GatorToof said:

Either way, Shadow missed an opportunity. Additionally, he got slapped with some (eBay lingo) negative feedback.

An opportunity to do what, exactly? Say he caved and played an Afrojack set. What does that accomplish for him?

An opportunity to have fun. Remember, it is supposed to be fun. I think we agree that it didn't look like he was having fun.

No feedback is good feedback. Negative feedback means that a partial refund is in order.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Doc, we need 18 long paragraphs explaining how our opinions don't count. Only then will we start considering that boring is okay just because the deejay playing it is (semi-)famous.

How do you know that he played boring music, have you been there?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I just listened to some of his "fun" set that Raj posted from a couple months back...BORING.

And just the little bit you can hear from the Mansion set as he's getting pulled...BORING.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    U dont hire Mario Batalli to cook hotdogs.

Weve been here before.

Most of the time im all for the artist to do what the hell they do.
    Then there is a sliver of me that keeps a stash to the side just in case i have to stoop down and just cook hotdogs.

Being a robot is fuckin bullshit.

This shit really is reflective of the ipod its all about me internet age. Folks think they can order a hotdog at Thai restaurant.

Leave The DJ alone.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I can see from both sides, I'm just pushing buttons on this subject. He is a 'name', and should play his set.
    He must had been booked on just his name. If he wasn't making the Mansion any money at the bar, they have full reign to move his ass out of the clurb on thier own behalf. It sucks, but when have you ever seen a band to stop mid set at a bar/club? I haven't. You would have to really really really suck to have that happen.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    And just the little bit you can hear from the Mansion set as he's getting pulled...BORING.

More irritating than boring, but yea, I agree.

That said, at least they told him nicely to get off...

It's clear the club promoters didn't know what they were getting into.

• batmon said:

Weve been here before.

Then there is a sliver of me that keeps a stash to the side just in case i have to stoop down and just cook hotdogs.

This shit really is reflective of the ipod its all about me internet age. Folks think they can order a hotdog at Thai restaurant.

Leave The DJ alone.

It is hard for me to tell what you like really. I mean you seem very well versed in the art of cooking.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Doc, we need 18 long paragraphs explaining how our opinions don't count.

In this case, it don't. Suck it up.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    He must had been booked on just his name. If he wasn't making the Mansion any money at the bar, they have full reign to move his ass out of the clurb on thier own behalf.

That's it right there. If the few bottle service patrons complained, I can easily see this happening. Really disgraceful shit though. And I bet there will be more than a few that will never return to the club, just based on this incident.

GatorToof said:
    batmon said:

Weve been here before.

Leave The DJ alone.

It is hard for me to tell what you like really. I mean you seem very well versed in the art of cooking.

Hotdog fan^^^

• HarveyCanal said:

Plus, he wasn't even dressed properly for such a club.

Since when does the talent have to follow dress code rules?!

Someone's working hard to keep the club's FB page clean. There'll be a link with like 39 comments and when you click to expand there's only 3 comments there, all positive.

It'd be awesome if Carl Cox dropped a few of Shadow's songs during his set. Just to f*ck with them.

• batmon said:
    GatorToof said:
    batmon said:

Weve been here before.

Leave The DJ alone.

Hotdog fan^^^

Lol, like you've never been hungry.

GatorToof said:
    batmon said:
    GatorToof said:
    batmon said:

Weve been here before.

Leave The DJ alone.

Hotdog fan^^^

Id expect an Italian sausage from Batali............. :freeway:

Herm said:
    HarveyCanal said:

When talent looks like a doofus.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Herm said:
    HarveyCanal said:

When talent looks like a doofus.

WTF? Dudes dress is more than decent. What is he suppoesed to look like in this posh rat-shop?

Abercrombie & Glitch Hop.

• batmon said:
    GatorToof said:
    batmon said:
    GatorToof said:
    batmon said:

Weve been here before.

Leave The DJ alone.

Hotdog fan^^^

Id expect an Italian sausage from Batali............. :freeway:

Ahaha!
    Better be a small group of people them.

HarveyCanal said:

Hahaa

Cmon dude is dowdy as a mutha. "Cool" T-shirt and wack ass baseball cap.

Get a stylist.

batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Hahaa

Get a stylist.

:f-u:

Please post a picture of you in your fancy dress.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Why is this so difficult for people to grasp? Don't hire a Range Rover and then complain that you didn't get a Ferrari. How many of you have actually DJ'ed for money on a regular basis? By which I mean, at least once or twice a week at the same venue/venues for months/years at a time? If you haven't, then your opinion - valid though it may be on one level - is not an informed one. If you've never argued with venue-owners or promoters about music policy, or ever been in a situation where you are expected to tailor the music you play to suit different crowds on different nights - and I have - then I'm sorry but you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

Laugh at Shadow's pomposity all you like, but he did nothing wrong here. High-end clubs want to book internationally-known DJs so they can say they get the biggest names spinning at their club. But they don't stop to think about whether or not every DJ they book - many of whom will have built their rep by playing a very specific kind of thing - will be a good fit for the aesthetic of their club. It's like this - the club fucked up. They know Shadow has a name, but either they didn't consider if he was the right kind of name for a club like this, or they decided they could wear the cost of cutting his set short in terms of bad PR against the night's take and just said, fuck it.

a lot of truth here...

no matter how boring Shadow is (and i have always found him boring, i don't own a single thing he's produced), i guarantee that even if he was playing what most of this board would call "bangers", he'd still have been booted there...

at places like that, all you are hearing is Rihanna and cheesy fake electro dubstep and autotuned europop... there is simply a very narrow margin in the type of music that people want to hear in these types of clubs nowadays...

so, places like that should simply stop booking name DJ's who don't play that type of music and just let their resident play that stuff for all the bro's and bottle service cornballs...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Is Shadow's booking agent at fault then?

finelikewine said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Hahaa

Get a stylist.

:f-u:

Please post a picture of you in your fancy dress.

No homo

RAJ said:
    Is Shadow's booking agent at fault then?

yes, to a certain degree. His music is more suitable for a smaller underground club than for a large-scale disco.
    But how much underground clubs can procure that kind of money he asks for? He or his booking agency priced him out of this market, so
    he is reliant on these super clubs.

• I think the problem is they meant to book that dude

DJ White Shadow who does the Lady GaGa stuff and accidentally booked the DJ Shadow.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    "Excuse me Mr. Hendrix....can you tone it down a bit, maybe play some acoustic stuff...a Samba or two...a Simon & Garfunkel cover....and those clothes...did you bring anything "decent" to wear?"

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    "Excuse me Mr. Hendrix....can you tone it down a bit, maybe play some acoustic stuff...a Samba or two...a Simon & Garfunkel cover....and those clothes...did you bring anything "decent" to wear?"

Hendrix covered lots of hit songs in his career...

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

hahaha, a bit of an extreme example, but yeah.

About the boring argument:
    i take it fun means whatever run of the mill djs play at run of the mill miami clubs? like top 40 hits and shit? that's the definition of fun we're using here?
    and boring is, exactly, what? i get bored when i go to places were that kind of thing is played, is my definition of boring wrong? am i doing it all wrong and should i have fun, because that's fun music? and i guess jazz is like, so boring?

i'm actually hearing shadow's set right now and i don't find it 'boring' at all. it's challenging, and definitely unconventional, but not boring. i thought people on soulstrut thought it was fun to discover new things music-wise?