Soul Strut 100: # 39 - Diamond D - Stunts, Blunts, & Hip Hop

13»

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

"Stunts, Blunts, & HIp Hop" is a certified hip-hop classic from the golden 90s era. The production was off-the-chain, and Diamond established himself as one of the better producers on the mic. My joints from this LP was "Sally Had a One Track Mind", "Freestyle, Yo Pass that S***", and "I Went for Mine" (I love that SSO sample). I'm glad to see "Stunts, Blunts, & Hip Hop" recognized for the Soul Strut 100.

This is my joint right hurr!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I remember being totally gutted when this came out and it was CD only. I bought it and loved it but there was a part of me where hip hop had died due to the switch over to CD. Just didn't seem right for this form of music. I obviously wasn't aware of the promo vinyl back then.

Still don't own an OG promo but plenty do on DWG so no way is this 300 only. Mythical rare for us Euromen back in the 90/00's but the internet changed that.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Diamond D owes me $12 for the Ghetto Gyrlz album I bought after reading the liner notes.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    This thread made me play this album for the first time in a while, so many memorable lines.

"I'm gonna live to be a senior citizen
    Why?
    Because my shit is in."

:goat: :off_the_wall:

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    leave you dead and stinkin' just like abe lincoln...

even your girl say ya gotta small WEE-WEE.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    "I Went for Mine" (I love that SSO sample)

The way the SSO sample locks with the Detroit Emeralds drums is absolute perfection.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    yowhenthemoviesoverwegonnagetthisn*gga

• punch me in the grill but i felt no pain...

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    "735 fuel-injected transmission"

"Day One" is still the shit, though.

• SIRUS said:

*background*

him: "-FUCK YOU TALKIN BOUT?!"

her: "YO CHILL, CHILLLLLLLLLLLLL!"

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Ricky Forcefield said:
    SIRUS said:

*background*

him: "-FUCK YOU TALKIN BOUT?!"

her: "YO CHILL, CHILLLLLLLLLLLLL!"

yeah, that's what makes it.

• "Diamond D got props like a cop"/

• Yeah the album is definitely up there in the top five Hip Hop classics along with Nation of a Milllions, Breaking Atoms, Illmatic and 36 Chambers.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    Yeah the album is definitely up there in the top five Hip Hop classics along with Nation of a Milllions, Breaking Atoms, Illmatic and 36 Chambers.

BAN

• batmon said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    Yeah the album is definitely up there in the top five Hip Hop classics along with Nation of a Milllions, Breaking Atoms, Illmatic and 36 Chambers.

BAN

Say whaat?

What do YOU consider good hip hop?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    batmon said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:

BAN

C'mon now, Breaking Atoms is easily, far and away, overwhelmingly the greatest rap album ever made. Everybody knows that.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Steller album, deserves a spot on the list. On a semi related note decided I'd share my story of my once brief interaction with the legendary crate digger:

A few years back some how Diamond got on my shitty dj newsletter mailing list and was one of the only people to ever respond to them. So one day I'm at my shitty call center job and I get a email from Diamond on some I'll be in Orlando this weekend if there's any nights popping he could DJ. I told him was to short a notice but if he needed anything hit me up. So a day later I'm on the way to the hotel to pick up Diamond to take "digging". Of course had to bring him a bag of that herbal essence. I call to let him know I'm out front and he has me on speaker phone, could hear his lady friend in the background and what not. Diamond rolls up a blunt and we're off in my busted 98 Honda Civic on the way to the record store. At this point I go into fan boy mode and start asking 20 questions about Stunts, drum machines, Jazzy Jay, Fat Joe etc etc.. I ask why he's in town; "oh just a little vacay with shorty". Dude's being cool about it but I'm also hella nervous as we were in heavy traffic and Diamond's riding shotgun no seat belt smoking a blunt. Finally get the store and we both kinda go in separate directions. He's elbows deep in 45s and chatting up some big beautiful woman who happened to be in the store. Diamond hands me a 45 Billy Stewart's "Cross my Heart". He's like you need that Tone. Diamond cops one record too and is like, "Had to prove I was here. I'm gonna ride out with this chick, I'll get up with you later". I go to dip and he's like hold up, grabs the rest of the blunt he capped out the ash tray in my Honda and dips off in the sunset with homegirl. The end.

• hahaha i love it!!!

Da Vinylmentalist said:
    batmon said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:

BAN

Say whaat?

H.E.R.M.

• batmon said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    batmon said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:

BAN

Say whaat?

H.E.R.M.

And that means what?

Da Youngsters

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Sorry Da Vinylmentalist, Gramps Batmon can be a bit delusional when he's not taking his meds....

yuichi said:
    Sorry Da Vinylmentalist, Gramps Batmon can be a bit delusional when he's not taking his meds....

U dont even own the album.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

U dont even own the album.

Naw gramps, but I got the burned CD that skips blood.