Soul Strut 100: # 39 - Diamond D - Stunts, Blunts, & Hip Hop

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    "I wore out my shoes faster than TJ Hooker, chasing after her". One of my all time most listened-to albums. That's word to Big Bird... and I'm out like a trout.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    This seems like a fine SS mission, and the thread to lay this question to rest once and for all - how many OG SB&HH; copies were made?

Additionally - Diamond held his own as an MC on this rekkid, its full of great lines and delivery - isnt that enough to merit him a class rhymesmith in and of itself?

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    YES.

Title track is my favourite from this one along with "check one two". So good!

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    The co-production credits on this album are something else - Large Pro, 45 King, Q-Tip, Showbiz. Too bad Primo wasn't involved somehow.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Great album, I also have a 2x12" of instrumentals (must be a boot?) that might get even more play. Wonderful beats. Diamond's rap on I'm Outta Here :killin_it:

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    He is currently on tour celebrating the 20th release of this album with a crew from Prague (CZ) called Champion Sound. Watch them here rehearsing for the live shows.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Rishan said:
    but it seemed to suddenly rocket in price when euroman realised how good and rare it is.

Maybe true on the rarity of the promo realization, but thanks in part to its videos on Rap City, there was no delay in people praising the album.

There was a copy at my college radio station upon initial release. I wonder who wound up stealing it.

fixed!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yep, true.

I remember many dudes hardly all that into rap who not only had Stunts & Blunts in their cd collection, but leaned on it heavily. And this was down in Texas.

• Duderonomy said:
    Diamond's rap on I'm Outta Here :killin_it:

that's a great song.

Love the back cover to this joint too...

"Like a bag of potato chips, this album will have you diggin your hands inside for one more crunch, or in this case one more beat."

• batmon said:
    as weak Confused sounds amonst the other tracks i think that for an R&B joint he did a better job than shit like the R&Bish; attempts like the one offa Brand Nubians album.

Red Light Green Light 123 into I Went For Mine is one of my favorite song to song transitions.

Agreed. I thought that "Confused" sounded a little like Larry Lar's version from the "Wizzard of Oddz" album and a bit out of place with the rest of the lineup. "Red Light, Green Light" song was alright, but right behind it came in "Went For Mine" like a cool breeze.
    I can't seem to stand to hear saxophones on hip-hop songs but the chorus break for "Feel the Vibe" was contagious.
    Fat Joe ended all skits on this album by saying "Sick and tired of all these bullshit rappers gettin dope deals and all that.. they can suck my dick youknowwhatimsayin...."

• Rishan said:
    amazing lp, but the skits suck.
    I agree.
    But most skits on most albums sick.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    ."

funny you say that, I don't think the artwork/style matches the music, or the period at all. not that it detracts from the overall quality of the package as a whole, but I actually really dislike this cover. I put it down to a rush job by a rubbish label, who couldn't be arsed to do any proper marketing, and didn't have a clue of the record they had in their hands

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    funny you say that, I don't think the artwork/style matches the music, or the period at all. not that it detracts from the overall quality of the package as a whole, but I actually really dislike this cover. I put it down to a rush job by a rubbish label, who couldn't be arsed to do any proper marketing, and didn't have a clue of the record they had in their hands

I really like the cover (that comin at ya special effect)but to keep it real I dont think they were expecting that album to go platinum or start building D as a brand. Dude was an underground producer and I doubt they had a marketing budget or team. Cheap & to the point.

I just wish there was an official list of who the hell was in the Psychotic Neurotics.
    Were they just your boys? Did they ghost write for you? Dancers? Drivers? Blunt rollers?
    I never read/heard anybody say "yeah I used to haul crates for P.N"
    Was an imaginary crew D's idea or was it the labels?
    Were they like The Public Announcement of Hip Hop?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    as far as i know they were a imaginary crew that diamond made up. he just liked the sound of the name.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    fat joe went so far as to say he was the psychotic neurotics.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    at least they gave it a picture cover though, I suppose, unlike Wild Pitch at the time, and subsequently no one gave a fuck about those albums.

I do find it strange that Mercury was doing this, along with that Jemini the Gifted One EP, full covers, but then suddenly pulled the plug on them.

• Rishan said:

I'm talkin about what's written on the back of the sleeve jacket. From the shout out's to the corny Master of Ceremonies vibe to the intro, it's a snapshot into the heart and soul of a certain time and place that was pure magic..

• corny? that whole "you are about to be a witness" shit is one of my favorite things on planet earth!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    corny? that whole "you are about to be a witness" shit is one of my favorite things on planet earth!
    yes! always wanted him to rhyme on that beat too.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    tripledouble said:
    corny? that whole "you are about to be a witness" shit is one of my favorite things on planet earth!
    yes! always wanted him to rhyme on that beat too.

didnt mos def and somebody else jack that beat for a song? iirc it was trio. i knowvit wascsome brooklyn bourgie rap.

utd manifest destiny

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    What I remember about this in the UK is that, for a very long time, there was only ever bootleg vinyl of it, and that was pretty scarce in itself. Both this and the Trendz Of Culture album got booted by the same people. A lot of stores refused to stock it, but the ones that did had no trouble shifting it. The boot was actually done from the CD, and had the CD-only tracks on it like Red Light, Green Light and the additional skits. I still only have a counterfeit version of the original vinyl configuration. The only dudes I knew who had an o.g. of Stunts... in any format had the CD, but even in the early 90s nobody I knew was trying to buy rap albums on CD if they could get the vinyl. Ready To Die changed all that, though.

Take-that-shit-to-The-Brits.com bonus beat; Chemistry was actually Pete Waterman's US operation PWL America, rebranded so as to avoid its output being pre-judged by its European parent company's rep as purveyors of the cheesiest pop cheese.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

Chemistry was actually Pete Waterman's US operation

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    tripledouble said:

&

Don't know if this was posted on SS earlier - but this is a great interview from last September with Diamond D by Juan Epstein and Pete Rosenberg

Starts of with the question -
    'Yeah, where are the psychotic neurotics these days?'
    and proceeds to go reallyreally in depth

Diamond Epstein & Rosenberg

For your listening pleasure.

..Still trying to figure out a way to determine how many pressings were made of stunts blunts...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    staxwax said:
    ...Still trying to figure out a way to determine how many pressings were made of stunts blunts...

^^^ THE NEW "MARDI GRAS w/o THE BELLS"

• tripledouble said:

Damn, I am being misinterpolated. I am talking about the intro written on the back cover of the album, not the musical intro

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    "Diamond D got props like a cop."

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    "prostate cancer of the liver, yo cuz i deliver"

say wut?

wasn't the story that he recorded some quick rhymes over his beat tape to give to a label, and then they convinced him to make an album from it? he definitely has some suspect rhymes but still one of my favorite albums. hell i even get a kick out of fat joes facemeltingly simple verse

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    tripledouble said:

Damn, I am being misinterpolated. I am talking about the intro written on the back cover of the album, not the musical intro

I got what you were saying. still think it's the most cringeworthy liner notes I ever read in a hip hop album! and I've read a lot. and they are all shite

• I think you hate them for the same reason I like them, they suck.

• james said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    Big Muthafuckin L
    Speaking of which, if I'm remembering right, Stunts was released the exact same day as Showbiz and AG's Runaway Slave.

They aren't making Tuesdays like that anymore.

Great memory, sir! I'm pretty sure you're correct on this.