Dave Brubeck died

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
bummersaurus

Comments

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    What a downer. A musical genius and someone who seemed like a truly decent human being as well. RIP.

• RIP.... the man had a long, productive and successful career. bless him for his contributions.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    91 years old.......up and about right to the end.....WINNER!

RIP

• Rockadelic said:

RIP

No kidding, he won at life. Doesn't seem like he left anything on the table.

• just read this a few minutes ago....bummer!

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Almost the end of a whole epic generation born before the war. I can only think of Lateef, Rollins, Silver, Coleman and Konitz left.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    RIP
    tabira said:
    Almost the end of a whole epic generation born before the war. I can only think of Lateef, Rollins, Silver, Coleman and Konitz left.
    ... Shorter, Jamal ....

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    RIP

I wish he woulda told Paul Desmond to put a sock in it more often.

• damms said:
    RIP
    tabira said:
    ... Shorter, Jamal ....

Roy Haynes, Lou Donaldson, Kenny Burrell.

RIP Dave Brubeck.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I don't think I have any Brubeck... what is some required listening?

oh and an artical where Brubeck mentions he canceled 23 shows and gave up $40k because a group of southern colleges didn't want an integrated band. He had one black bassist.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Have you got s steady boyfriend?
    'Cause honey I've been watching you
    I hear you're mad about Brubeck
    I like your eyes, I like him too
    He's an artist, a pioneer
    We've got to have some talent on the new frontier

• Excellent innings.. Thanks Dave..

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    For listening, nothing wrong with picking up a copy of Time Out for under $10 or paying a few dollars more for a minty first press. It will get plenty of spins. The early stuff on Fantasy and Columbia is all nice chamber jazz. The later stuff with his sons have a few moments, sometimes with electric keys. His son Darius has an lp called Chaplin's Back with nice open keys worth listening to.

I don't have any hate for Desmond but I heard Brubeck tell Terry Gross a story on him.
    Desmond has sole writer credit on Take Five, but Brubeck said that Desmond came to practice with just the melody for the verse.
    Someone, the bassist?, came up with the bridge.
    Drummer Joe Morrello took it out of 4/4 and put it in 4/5.
    Brubeck harmonized the whole thing.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I remember junior year in high school, when I got my driver's license and would sometimes drive my mom's Toyota Corolla hatchback to school. By the time winter rolled around I'd watch the sun rise as I was making my way around suburban Maryland, and by then I had discovered WPFW on the radio. Every day I would hope they'd play "Take 5" because it was the only song that made me enjoy the drive, and they would play it at least once a week while I was in the car. That's probably the one song that made me really start listening to jazz, I'm sure I'm not the only one. I remember ordering Time Out plus 9 other cheap jazz cds from Columbia House then - I think some of the others were Headhunters, Kind of Blue, Blue Train and Porgy and Bess.

• Pulled out some records the night of his death.

RIP to one of the greats.

Cosign on Time Out as a good starting place. Relatively easy to find for a decent price.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    damms said:
    RIP
    tabira said:
    ... Shorter, Jamal ....

Pharaoh Sanders, too.
    I almost mentioned him before checking Wikipedia. He was born in 1940, WW2 started in 1939 but if tabira meant before the US involvement then it's all good
    back on topic
    I like this cover

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

RIP

Mr. Brubeck has a special place in my heart and life as, thanks to my father (RIP), "Time Out" and "Countdown: Time in Outer Space" were my earliest forms of music education. This exposure has fueled a life-long love and appreciation of jazz music as an aficionado and player. My music instructors marveled at my jazz drumming sensibilities as a pre-teen, and even that, I owe to playing along with Mr. Brubeck's great LPs. The man is undoubtedly a jazz legend, but more than that, his music had a personal impact on me that persists to this very day. Rest in peace, Mr. Brubeck, and thank you for the positive influence you've had on my life.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak