Album + Single of the Year 2012

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
So I only have one LP pick for 2012. What have I missed?

Album:

Singles shortlist is difficult this year... nothing exceptional stands out, but good ones have been

Niama Makalou Et African Soul Band ?????? Kognokoura (Daphni's Part 2 edit)
Mos Def ?????? Umi Says (Falty DL remix) unreleased bootleg though
Jacques Greene ?????? Dakou digital only
Sir Own ?????? Hooked (Kon edit) :beerbang:

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

this is the strongest sophmore album i can think of
    incredible release

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Predictable choice, I realise, but right up until this dropped I'd have gone with the Ab-Soul album.

Kendrick gets single of the year, too.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Kendrick for album.

Juicy J for the single.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Still putting my Best of 2012 List together...having a hard time deciding on full length between Ab Soul, Schoolboy Q and Lloyd Banks' V6.

Single will land on a Tree track or just go with Black Hippy's Black Lip Bastard. But then there's Jai Paul, too!

Damn. This was a very good year!

magpaul said:
    Kendrick for album.

Juicy J for the single.

Juicy J would be in my top 5.

• My favorite album that I can remember so far is the Kendrick but without a doubt my favorite single is Jasmine by Jai Paul (its my favorite song all year)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Gotta at least be a contender...

• After 4/5 listens I started to rate the Lamar album as probably the best of the year. I'm not as keen on the Black Hippy output as others though and would also include Roc Marciano and Ka's albums as the best of the year. The Actress album is excellent as well.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yea, Ka's Grief Pedigree is definitely on my bigger list.

• Album.

No idea on single.

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    both my 2 fav. albums this year have already been mentioned, still struggling between The Crossing and World Music. both super solid from start to finish, though, maybe WM gets the go for being more eclectic, but then, you cant really compare those two..

as for a single, def. this:

• I didn't get round to listening that Menahan album and I thought the first one was excellent.

• So into this.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    mumbosauce said:

So into this.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Album

Jimmy Edgar - Majenta

Single
    Funkineven and Fatima - Phone Line

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Album

Single

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

Kendrick gets single of the year, too.

This has a cinematic vibe that makes me think it would be great during opening credits. Not bad, that Bands track is a bit depressing for my tastes though.

That Mystikal track I posted yesterday in the Rap thread, best thing I've heard all year as far as singles.

HarveyCanal said:
    That Mystikal track I posted yesterday in the Rap thread, best thing I've heard all year as far as singles.

Yes. Would love to see this done live with a tight band.

"That nigga sicker and slicker than earl on a pelican"...gotdamn, I love my og hometown, Nawleans.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    couple tune i rinsed this year

album i think maybe Lukid's or Kendrick Lamar.

Couple more nominations, both singles:

Lana Del Rey - Ride (Special Request remix) This is MAHOOOSIVE.

The Ha/Dance white label

• Can't believe that it's already the end of the year again.

Most listened new albums would be:

Kendra Morris - Banshee
    Action Bronson - Rare Chandeliers
    The Cactus Channel - Haptics
    Roc Marciano - Reloaded

Not really a standout favorite album this year but think that the Alchemist won the year for me on the production tip. About everything he touched was fire to me.

Not really about the singles but if I have to pick I would say Summertime Strut by Magic in Threes.

I think that some of my 'old' new finds are champion this year

Over in the UK, the Guurdnia went for Frank Ocean, which will hardly come as a shock.

• I can imagine Frank Ocean would be the darling of the left wing bible. Great album though and one of my favourites of the year.

Other non hip hop choices (and it's been a great year for NYC hip hop in particular) are Tame Impala, Thundercat, Swans, and the Goat album which hadn't heard of before this thread.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    The best pure pop single I heard this year was probably Ke$ha's "Die Young."

SP 1200 said:
    I can imagine Frank Ocean would be the darling of the left wing bible. Great album though and one of my favourites of the year.

I liked it too, but not as much as everyone else, it appears. And cynical as this is going to sound, I have serious doubts that it would have drawn such widespread, sustained acclaim if the backstory was less remarkable.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    SP 1200 said:
    I can imagine Frank Ocean would be the darling of the left wing bible. Great album though and one of my favourites of the year.

Other non hip hop choices (and it's been a great year for NYC hip hop in particular) are Tame Impala, Thundercat, Swans, and the Goat album which hadn't heard of before this thread.

I gave that Goat album a listen because of this thread. I really like some of it, what with the Dungen-meets-Rail-Band thing they got going, but can't really get into the whole screamy Karen-O style of singing.

looking through this thread makes me realize how little new music I listen to.

• DocMcCoy said:
    SP 1200 said:

I liked it too, but not as much as everyone else, it appears. And cynical as this is going to sound, I have serious doubts that it would have drawn such widespread, sustained acclaim if the backstory was less remarkable.

I agree but I was surprised by how much I liked this album, as a non lover of R&B. It's even inspired me to give D'Angelo another try.

I think it would have benefited by being shortened a bit but I say that about a lot of albums these days.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

I came out in late 2011, but i discovered it this year. The whole album is mindblowingly good.