joe bataan - various favorites of mine

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
1. cycles of you (from the 2005 "Call My Name" lp)- i just really really LOVE this schitt and i hope you will too on record day no 2. unwed mother ("singing some soul" lp)- little lady hold your head up high... NO DOUBT 3.you're driving me right out of my mind ("sweet soul" lp)- i be BLASTIN' this schitt in the whip... people think i'm crazy... they're right... fuck 'em i could poast joe bataan soul records for DAYS... but i'll stop with these three.

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    my future wedding song:-My Cloud

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Joe Bataan - Ordinary Guy

• Great tracks above. I love his version of Shaft:

Also, I've been listening to RIOT! A LOT recently.

• http://www.divshare.com/download/2065846-c7e Joe Bataan-Riot 1999 Remastered, didnt have the lp copy online anymore.

• What Good is a Castle is becoming a personal favorite of mine. Cycles of You has been a favorite as well for quite some time.

• yeah his last album was great. I liked it because it was a variation in styles. Southern funk, latin, late 70's soul.

Didn't he do a version of the "bottle" as well?

• What Good is a Castle is becoming a personal favorite of mine.

hey hey hey hey

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i listen to nothing but mestizo megamix

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    not nothing as in 'no other joe bataan,' but nothing as in no other music period. i just move the needle back to the beginning every time it ends

• my future wedding song:-My Cloud

I love this tune. Definitely a regular play, and it would make a superb wedding song.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    On heavy rotation for me right now, out of the Bataan's catalog:

I Wish You Love, Parts 1 and 2 (I>Saint Latin's Day Massacre[/i])

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    anybody have his 45 only joint Call Me/Latin Square Soul Dance. This was recorded around the "salsoul" session for Fania and only came out on 45. He had a tiff w/ the label which led to "Salsoul" being released on Mericana Records.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    anybody have his 45 only joint Call Me/Latin Square Soul Dance. This was recorded around the "salsoul" session for Fania and only came out on 45. He had a tiff w/ the label which led to "Salsoul" being released on Mericana Records.

Word - I've always wanted to hear this as well (though I'm assuming it is "Latin Soul Square Dance" not "Latin Square Soul Dance"). It's from what should have been "Live From San Frantasia" which probably explains why the cover of "Salsoul" is actually a painting of San Francisco.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I got a chance to talk to him last year, he says the "Bataan at San Frantasia" sessions ended up coming out as "Salsoul". He said nobody had asked him about "Bataan at San Frantasia" in over 30 yrs.

The 45 is RAW, it is a tad expensive though.

• Latin Soul Square Dance[/b]
    warning: 64kbit!
    http://tinyurl.com/2fadxm

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Latin Soul Square Dance[/b]
    warning: 64kbit!
    http://tinyurl.com/2fadxm
    Got one!

b/w "Call Me"

• I have to fight myself regularly to keep from putting this 45 in my playbox for every gig

• "Too much lovin" never leaves my playbox. Sometimes it's the only Latin record in there...so good.

• Great to see Joe Bataan being discussed on the front page here. I kinda slept on Joe for years then picked up "Under The Streetlamp" on 45 at the flea market this summer, which led me to look into his catalogue and...WOW. So much amazing stuff, especially the "Singin' Some Soul" album which I had playing all summer long. Then at some point a friend of mine told me about "Special Girl" and mind=blown...so incredibly good.

• I think the Jazzanova Rework of Ordinary Guy is great (evenso the original version can't be touched)