Post random shit thread.

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Herm said:

Okay, I Googled this and I'm curious, intrigued and to be honest, maybe a little scared to try it myself. Care to share more?

Edit: It's no secret, but I've never been drunk nor high. I've always been 100% aware of my surroundings at all times, which is why the thought of this scares me a little.

this is an amusing read:
    http://www.theawl.com/2012/10/new-yorks-last-sensory-deprivation-tank

just imagine all the orgone you could accumulate in that thing

• ppadilha said:
    Herm said:

Okay, I Googled this and I'm curious, intrigued and to be honest, maybe a little scared to try it myself. Care to share more?

Edit: It's no secret, but I've never been drunk nor high. I've always been 100% aware of my surroundings at all times, which is why the thought of this scares me a little.

this is an amusing read:

That was a fun read. Thanks!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Herm said:

Mmm. There's a lot of fun to be had losing control.

Or,

Drugs, mang! Do eeet!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    Herm said:

this is an amusing read:

I had a summer job on reception at a floatation tank place years ago and I'm convinced about 95% of floaters had a little secret shuffle while they were in the tank. That probably accounts for the post-float glow and definitely accounts for the reason I will never go in one again. Orgone indeed.

I read that piece - a city the size of New York only has one floatation tank? That can't be true, can it?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Dude has to have hidden infrared cameras in there and be gurning one out into a jar the whole time.

Who here wouldn't?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    And you can guess what he does when the jar is full...

Flakes from the Saltwater. Suuuuuuuuuuure it is...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Herm said:
    dukeofdelridge said:
    twoply said:
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Hi.
    I got in a float tank last weekend and have been super calm ever since.

Every time I float I'm like this for a few days

gorgeous!
    gonna make an appointment for tomorrow right now. I've been told you really get it after three visits, and I'm stoked to try. I "got there" a little bit, twice, during my first float.

I can't speak for anyone else (I've been told by several people that they see hallucinations or have some kind of weird trip, but that's never happened to me), but it's for me it's just a fast food version of meditation. I float in the water for about 15-20 minutes while my mind relaxes and then I drift off. My mind floats in that space between being awake and falling asleep, that period where thoughts become muffled and make little sense, until there's just nothing. My brain feels like it's been put into sleep mode but I'm not asleep. I'll usually come back to consciousness about 10 minutes or so before the wake-up music turns on and I feel calm, refreshed, and stress-free for the rest of the day. Over the next few days I won't feel that same feeling constantly, but it comes and goes in waves.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Herm said:

Edit: It's no secret, but I've never been drunk nor high. I've always been 100% aware of my surroundings at all times

maybe you should try being hyper-aware of yr surroundings

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    cove said:
    Herm said:

Edit: It's no secret, but I've never been drunk nor high. I've always been 100% aware of my surroundings at all times

maybe you should try being hyper-aware of yr surroundings

• ppadilha said:
    Herm said:

this is an amusing read:

I have been to Sam's place (Blue light floatation) off and on for the last year or so. 4 times in the last year. With each visit longer than the next. The longest Ive gone is 2 hours. Now He does it from his own private residency in mahattan so you have to be comfortable with the fact that your in the guys house, you have to shower in his spot before you enter the tank so wash whatever gunk you have on your body and in your hair (gel, etc). The cleaning process of the tank is a pain in the ass from what ive heard/read. With that said the guy is pretty cool for the most part. Kind of a stickler if you get the floor wet or what have you.

Now as far as the experience. There is really nothing like it you can compare it to. I can see why people would be weirded out. Your in a dark tank (this one is actually a float room). Completely alien experience. I would say the tank for me is absolutely essential. As an adult who suffers from a bit of adhd (motiviation, mind wandering, lack of focus, etc) the tank is a god send. As well as working with computers all day, writing code, starting at green and black screens, glued to a blackberry, ipad, etc. This is really rebooting yourself.

There is a Joe Rogan video out there on youtube that describes it almost perfectly. Your in about 800 pounds of epsom salt. Your completely buoyant. The water is set to the same temperature as your body's core. When you begin to let go you truly can not tell where the water and body meet. As if there is no bottom. Like free floating in space or as some people call it in the womb. No light, no sound. . Its sound proof but not quiet. You can hear your bones falling into place, your heart beating, the blood moving in your veins. Also for myself I dont want to call it hallucination but I see light patters, in waves. The more I let go the more I see it. Just when i completely let go I become aware that I let go and snaps me right back. Then I start all over again. You can think about things that are bothering you, that you need to work out with yourself. I do recommend it. Minimum one hour in the tank. I would do two or three hours easy. I would love to have a tank in my apartment. I would use it every day.

• here is the video

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    that piece about the float tank is great!

here's where I did it. Seattle seems to have some in-home ones, so I was stoked to find a storefront.

here's, um, a rambling report of Round One

Keep in mind I've only had one professional massage, back in my late teens or early twenties. Never done yoga. Pretty square.

The post-float buzz lasted definitely until Tuesday. It was exactly that "fast food approach to meditation." Fast-tracked to some dissociation from my body, and it was rad. Today was Round Two. Re-upped on some mellow. Baseline level of calm is great.

If anything, it's worth it for a nice chunk of time away from screens. Noise. I spent an hour super relaxed and stretched out--sustained for an hour. More relaxed than I'll be even for a moment. It's worth it for that.

I recommend it. I'm going to keep at it.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    damn, i want to do thisss

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Reminds me of the pilot movie for the original Hawaii Five-O

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    cove said:
    damn, i want to do thisss

yes i found a place in town (MTL) to do it! near my place, too.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• DOR said:

mein gott.
    killing it in this thread.

Like in a dream from Jeremie Brunet on Vimeo.

Nice Basic Channle-esque soundtrack too. This would've made rave musicians/flyer designers from the early '90s sick with envy.

Literal LOLs in the office over that iphone advert :killin_it:

• Duderonomy said:

Like in a dream from Jeremie Brunet on Vimeo.

Nice Basic Channle-esque soundtrack too. This would've made rave musicians/flyer designers from the early '90s sick with envy.

Awesome video. This would be even more awesome on 3 grams of mexicana shrooms. Bookmarked!

• Duderonomy said:

when i was in scotland this past summer, they kept remarking at how incredibly polite i was. i mentioned that i was just as rude and obnoxious as them, i just chose not to communicate strictly via shouting.

vintageinfants said:
    Duderonomy said:

when i was in scotland this past summer, they kept remarking at how incredibly polite i was. i mentioned that i was just as rude and obnoxious as them, i just chose not to communicate strictly via shouting.

[strike]It's a Scottish tradition that babies are delivered to the sound of live bagpipes, bathed in a tub of Barrs Irn Bru, and then force-fed deep fried Mars Bars for the first 29 years of life. The bagpipes probably does for their hearing, the Irn Bru accounts for the high proportion of ginge, and the Mars Bar diet leaves them a wee bit irritable.[/strike]

Maybe they were just excited that you're not a Sassanach?

Anyone watched this?

• Duderonomy said:
    Anyone watched this?

it's highly interesting, but not really showing TOO much stuff we didn't already know. like.... when you start a fight with 5 corrections officers, your chances of getting beat up increase.

the premise itself sets the tone for the whole movie. omar believes that by bringing contraband into the prison system he will have his sentence shortened...........

:liljohn:

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

pretty soon they'll be wearing human skin bikinis, wielding swords while riding giant gerbils across the plains.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    fuckin stupid I know, its all I got right now.
    ET related.