Who Rides for Neil Young?

KidProcrassKidProcrass 107 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
Being from Canada i grew up on this man's music and sometimes believe maybe i am biased when it comes to the the origins of grunge or just doing what ever the fuck you love and sounds good to you but i truly believe this his music has not only stood the test of time but is undeniable in its originality. Post your love.. hate what ever it be but speak your mind on the man who rocks harder in his 70's then more band keeping it "real" in these days and times.

Comments

• Huge Neil Young fan. Never been about his acoustic stuff but ride for pretty much all the Crazy Horse stuff and also the criminally underrated electronica stuff like Trans. Ooh wee! My band did a cover of his song awhile back too

• I like the Tonight's The Night LP

• I ride for Neil Young.

Harvest Moon Lp, Buffalo Springfield, and there is a double disk motion picture score with dark horse men carrying crosses on the cover that I listened to recently.

I had a wooden nickel NY bootleg but traded it last Sunday to a friend because i thought it had too much flutter or something. He listened to it a said it was cool..

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Classic.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    I ride - dig his attitude and music through the different era's.

• also being a canadian i ride for Neil Young, not about to parlay like i know his catalog inside out though...but i can appreciate some Neil anytime..

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    StoneHands said:
    Trans.

Anyone else catch that David Geffen documentary on "American Masters"? First time I learnt that Geffen sued Neil Young after putting out that album because it wasn't Neil Young enough. I wish the music business still had the hubris that accompanies massive piles of cash -- both in artists recording an album like that, and in the labels releasing them to failure, and then taking it to the streets courts (lawsuit was later dropped).

• I can get with a lot of Neil, both acoustic and electric, but "Keep on Rocking in the Free World" and "My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)" are two of the most insufferable songs in the known universe (imo).

• I can listen to Neil Young for days. Right now my favorite Neil Young Lp is Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.

• white_tea said:

Anyone else catch that David Geffen documentary on "American Masters"? ).

i caught a bit of this the other night....really great documentary and better then i had expected, i saw most of it but i believe i missed some...

• He's put out some horrendous stuff over the course of his career, but who else has had a career like him?

Anybody else from the 60's even remotely as relevant as he still is today? Maybe Dylan, but he was AWOL for a lot of those years.

• FUCK YES.

I ride hard. (pasue)

Although I am Canadian, I dont think it is particularly influencial on my Neil Young love. I'll post more later when I'm not on my phone!

• BREAXXXX

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I got into Neil Young as a teenager when I first saw the movie Out Of The Blue and then got a bunch of his records. Rust Never Sleeps probably being my favorite but I also had Harvest and After The Gold Rush on heavy rotation for several years. Then abut 10 years later, by chance, I saw him on the tv playing with Pearl Jam. I was so disgusted I proceeded to raid my records for every single Neil Young and threw them all in the trash.

I still can't revisit. It's like an old ex girlfriend that you really loved and who you have lots of great memories with but then you caught her in bed with the most repulsive out of all the guys you really hate. A nauseating feeling of contempt and revulsion that just won't ever wash away.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    Jeezus, Frank, it's not like he was playing with the Beach Boys.

I would have been fine with that.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    He's put out some horrendous stuff over the course of his career, but who else has had a career like him?

Anybody else from the 60's even remotely as relevant as he still is today? Maybe Dylan, but he was AWOL for a lot of those years.

I like how he's stayed being an ornery old bastard for most of that time, too.

• Horseleech said:
    He's put out some horrendous stuff over the course of his career, but who else has had a career like him?

that's an improtant point to make. i just checked his recent album where he does covers and standards and it's pretty decent. by his own admission, he's had plenty of misses (the one with pearl jam being up there) over the course of his zig-zagging and productive career.

• I'll come out and say it: I don't know Neil Young at all. I've only ever seen his MtV unplugged, which wasn't great.

So, my question: name 1 album that I should start on.

Plaese to halp.....

• OptimusLime said:
    I'll come out and say it: I don't know Neil Young at all. I've only ever seen his MtV unplugged, which wasn't great.

So, my question: name 1 album that I should start on.

Plaese to halp.....

Were you not into the selections or his live acoustic sound?

I'd personally start with Live At Massey Hall 1971, but if it's the latter then it's probably not for you

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The Southern Man doth not ride

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    took me a very long time to get into Neil Young, the same with Dylan - I grew up in Brazil, meaning I was raised on a steady diet of classic rock and heavy metal, but the folkier stuff I was never really exposed to. I think I hadn't really listened to his music, and the fact that it took me so long to start enjoying Dylan made me reluctant to listen to Neil Young. However, after a few friends of mine got me into it I can say I'm a much bigger fan of Neil Young than I am of someone like Dylan (not trying to compare the two, maybe just put it into perspective).

It may have been the Into the Blue film that first got me into it, but On The Beach and Everybody Knows This is Nowhere are maybe my favorites. Was really into Comes a Time at one point as well, not sure why.

I can dig Trans as well, the one to me that has no redeeming quality whatsoever is Everybody's Rockin'. That one seems like a bigger fuck you to both his label and his fans than anything else he has put out.

And I can say he's one of the few musicians of his generation who I'd still pay to see in concert. I went a few years back when he played at that old movie palace that has been converted into a concert hall up in Harlem (I'm blanking on the name of that place right now), and he did a whole acoustic set, followed by another with his band - it wasn't Crazy Horse at the time, but it was still a pretty awesome concert.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Horseleech said:

that's an improtant point to make. i just checked his recent album where he does covers and standards and it's pretty decent.

Dude actually came out with another record after that one -- a burnouts-only affair with Crazyhorse, in which he opens the record with a 30-minute freakout called "Driftin' Back." It's not that terrible but I'll be honest I haven't made it much beyond that tune yet.

• his cover of "whip my hair" is pretty good.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Never got past his work after 1972, which includes Buffalo S and CSNY. Is there anything after that that outshines his output till then?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Frank said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    Jeezus, Frank, it's not like he was playing with the Beach Boys.

I would have been fine with that.

Catching your ex fucking Brian Wilson would bring more pity than hatred!

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    his streak from Everybody Knows... to Zuma is classic. dont really ride for much past 1978, with a few exceptions. kind of hard for me to revisit those albums even though they are some of my favorites of all time, because they are just so damn sad. very melancholic music a lot of the time, and if i'm not in that mindframe i can't do it.

• Jesus, Neil is one of the best to ever do it. He can write and preform the most gentle of ballads and in the next turn just fucking jam out one chord for 8 or 9 minutes without even sounding remotely monotonous. His guitar tone alone belongs on the top of any rock list and that leaves out his song writing. If you don't ride for Neil you don't like rock music.

Throwing out an artists catalog because you don't like their later career moves is just plain fucking silly. I once threw out some tapes because I thought a group sold out, but I was 13, so you know, I was an idiot.

• Have listened to Goldrush and Harvest for a while and On The Beach as well which I don't like as much as other people do. I don't quite get the reverence he inspires personally but he inspires some fanatical following.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    Jesus, Neil is one of the best to ever do it. He can write and preform the most gentle of ballads and in the next turn just fucking jam out one chord for 8 or 9 minutes without even sounding remotely monotonous. His guitar tone alone belongs on the top of any rock list and that leaves out his song writing. If you don't ride for Neil you don't like rock music.

Throwing out an artists catalog because you don't like their later career moves is just plain fucking silly. I once threw out some tapes because I thought a group sold out, but I was 13, so you know, I was an idiot.

The Pearl Jam incident was years after I had last listened to any Neil Young records. Seeing this just made it clear to me that I'm never going to get back to them. Throwing out my Neil Young records because he allowed himself to be crowned the godfather of grunge to me was just as legitimate as it was for some of my punk rock friends to throw out their early Skrewdriver records when the band went fascist after '79.

Even if this wouldn't have happened, the Neil Yong tunes I remember now seem kind of corny to me. Must have been trying to get in touch with my sensitive side back then. I've never really been into Classic Rock so you can keep those commandments of what you need to ride for in order to like Rock music for yourself to abide by. When it comes to late 60s early 70s Rock I'm much more into stuff like the Stooges, MC5 and Blue Cheer but my main focus of interest has always been on other times or places.

Would I have ever owned any Dylan albums, I would have thrown them all to the curb when I saw it on the news how that moron played a private show for the pope sometime in the 90s.

Maintaining a minimum of integrity has always been a requirement for me to ride for anybody.