How could you not like cilantro? Hated foods related

AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
My friend posted a link on her blog this week to a NY times article that spoke to a genetic predisposition to disliking cilantro.
She thinks it tastes soapy, which is what the article cited- I think it is a very flavorful and complex herb and I love it!
She also asked what foods people disliked - I am fascinated by what people don't like, food wise.

What foods do you hate?

I can't stand:

mayo
licorice
mochi
asparagus
red bull
cold cuts of meat - the texture alone is revolting
cheesecake
sweet cocktails of any kind

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    rapini
    raw/pickled ginger
    red bull
    cheesecake
    asparagus

ew.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Raw tomato, especially cherry tomatoes.
    Dark chocolate, and orange flavoured chocolate.
    Black licorice.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Brussel Sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Liver
    Sardines
    Coffee
    Anchovies
    Sweet Potatoes
    Clamato Juice

• AKallDay said:

She thinks it tastes soapy, which is what the article cited

I get this 100%. Definitely tastes soapy to me to.

There's some kind of genetic predisposition to the taste of cucumber aswell which makes it unpalatable to some

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Pony said:
    Raw tomato, especially cherry tomatoes.
    Dark chocolate, and orange flavoured chocolate.
    Black licorice.

Those are three of my favorite flavours!

• Any organ meat
    Eggplant
    Natto
    Marzipan

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Julie Child also found cilantro soapy.
    I love it.

Not much I wont eat.
    One thing I can do with out that most people love are olives.
    I will eat a few if served to me.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    AKallDay said:

mayo
    licorice
    asparagus
    red bull

all of these. Also:

Brussels sprouts
    beets
    heart/brains/kidneys/tripe/liver*
    octopus
    carob (just eat fuckin' chocolate!)

* while in Florence, I ate crostini Toscana, which contains ground chicken liver. It was delicious, and I ordered it several more times. So there's that.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Coffee
    Clamato Juice

Oh shit, I forgot these two. (And not just clamato for me--regular tomato juice gets the gasface as well.)

As for anchovies, I again defer to Italy--I always detested anchovies, but then I ate some in Cinque Terre, and holy shit, they were amazing. Fresh and delicious and completely unlike what we call anchovies here in the States.

• carob (just eat fuckin' chocolate!)

oh yes!- so chalky it's truly terrible.

i forgot to mention cream/citrus together! (key lime pie, lemon merengue pie, etc)

AND eclairs or anything where gelatinous goo is insidiously placed in a crusty shell, jelly donuts and so forth

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Risingson said:
    There's some kind of genetic predisposition to the taste of cucumber aswell which makes it unpalatable to some

I can eat anything except this.
    Smells revolting to me.
    Tastes revolting to me.
    I've had a go, a few times, to see if my palate has changed (as I've got older, I have lost my sweet tooth) but, nah.

It's on so many sandwiches by default. And I can still taste it on the food after they take it off. Gherkins and pickles are fine, but the cuke is my Kryptonite.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Fennel
    Innards
    Horse Meat
    Carp
    Swabian pockets
    Chicken fricassee
    After Eight Chocolate

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Given the right context, I'll fuck with just about anything.

If I walk into some random taqueria, for example, I'm most likely not gonna order head tacos. But if someone I know is all like "Dude, you gotta check this place out, they're famous for their head tacos and they use these special brain pieces and my boy knows the waitress and blah blah blah," then yeah, sure, why not.

I'd feel like a real rube if I had to be like "That famous head-taco place? Oh yeah, I went there...I got the chicken, though, 'cause I don't eat head tacos."

Also, it's worth noting that Not Liking Cilantro has in recent years become, as they say, "a thing," and there thus might be a decent possibility that some of these people are not so much down on cilantro as they are up on trends.

• minimini 879 Posts
    james said:
    Given the right context, I'll fuck with just about anything.
    Same here.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    cilantro

She thinks it tastes soapy, which is what the article cited- I think it is a very flavorful and complex herb and I love it!

Fascinating! I've been hearing the soapy description for years...but only from men. I thought it was one of those things like they say some men have a hard time telling the difference between purple, blue and black.

Anyway -

AKallDay said:

I can't stand:

mayo
    sweet cocktails of any kind

relish
    maraschino cherries
    bell peppers
    camomile
    turnips
    peas
    corn

• Pipian Rojo
    Black Licorice
    Okra
    Clam Juice (Clamato)

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I was once told that cucumber contains some kind of mild irritant / poison in the skin. If you slice off the top, then rub the two exposed ends together, you'll soon get what appears to be a white foam seeping out of the skin and this is how you can draw out the irritant. This may be an old wives tale doe.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I eat pretty much everything. I once had a traumatizing event eating Natto but then faced the stuff again only a few months ago and managed to enjoy it. With fermented food, the mindset is important. When I first tried Natto I had no idea what it really was or if this really was what it was supposed to taste like, plus I was severely hung-over. I recently had Vietnamese fermented shrimp paste and while everybody at the table made a huge deal (they all had lived in the country 15+ years and had tried it previously on numerous occasions) about how powerful and extremely rancid this particular batch was, I immediately associated the taste with a very strong and overly ripe blue cheese, genuinely enjoyed it and emptied the bowl not to act hard but because it was really, really good.

I love most organ meat, especially tripe (pan fried in a taco -delicious! or in a hearty menudo... yummi! I do not go out of my way to eat kidney though, in order to make it palatable you need to painstakingly clean it up from all the veins (they're not really veins since they don;t carry blood but urine to be filtered by the organ and having cleaned up many pounds of them when I used to work in a restaurant kitchen I can tell you that they stink like pee. Then you need to soak them in milk or butter milk t get the last remains of bathroom flavor out of them... I'm a strong believer that if you kill something you should be willing and able to eat the whole body but the kidneys I'd just throw the dogs. other than that I had various kinds of brain, boiled pig brain on ice -not so special, kind of bland, veal brain with scrambled eggs -nice! I love barbacoa which is goat or cow head, basically everything but the fur, horns and bone, there's lips, eyes and all those tender facial muscles in there and it's one of my favorites. I had bull's penis (not so special, nice sauce but the thing itself bland and of questionable texture), grilled turkey testicles (fucking delicious, seriously, and you'd be surprised how large they are!), sweetbread of course and all sorts of other stuff... never as a dare food as I respect food too much to make a silly game out of it but always out of curiosity and I can't recommend it enough to keep on expanding your culinary horizons. Some of the most delicious eats I ever had was from the side of the road while traveling through West Africa by bush taxi, what better way to experience a foreign culture by just participating in daily life and eat what everybody else is eating.

I'd never eat dog or cat though. Same goes for monkey. I tried horse once but couldn't do it again, I'm soft like that.

A friend of mine once was invited (by a special group of people in Brazil) to a dinner with a human thigh as the center piece. He didn't go.

Are you guys serious about listing Red Bull as a food? I wouldn't use it to loosen a rusty screw and would rather kiss a dead body than a girl who's just downed a can of that nastyness.

• Frank said:

Are you guys serious about listing Red Bull as a food?

quite the opposite, i listed it as if to question its edibility !! its popularity eludes and saddens me.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Not much I wont eat.

Hair
    Tendon
    Stomach
    Intestines (I like it as sausage casing but I don't like to eat the poop-chute by itself)
    Octopus

Rubbery/chewy animal byproducts gross me out. Texture related.

• Depending on how hungry I am, I have no preferences.

However, because I have a bad heart and am boarder-line diabetic I can't eat starchy foods.

• james said:

Also, it's worth noting that Not Liking Cilantro has in recent years become, as they say, "a thing," and there thus might be a decent possibility that some of these people are not so much down on cilantro as they are up on trends.

I can honestly say I'd never realised until I read this thread & then googled it. Of course I always knew it was soapy but I just thought thats how it tasted Always wondered what the hype was about

The cucumber thing is some kind of aldehyde that a few people can taste but most can't

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I dislike many foods. I once took one of those tests to see if you are a 'super taster'. They give you a little wafer, to most it just tastes like wafer, to others it's revolting. It tasted revolting. Then they put some kind of dye on your tung to show how many taste buds you have. I have a lot apparently.

So apparently I can taste all sorts of things that other people generally can't. Mostly it's a pain, but sometimes it's a help. As a kid I'd be able to taste that the milk had gone sour a couple of days before the rest of my family. It can be handy to be able to pick out various flavours or individual ingredients in meals, so you can understand how to make them, or figure out what combinations make a dish interesting.

• Coconut tastes like soap.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    bassie said:
    Fascinating! I've been hearing the soapy description for years...but only from men. I thought it was one of those things like they say some men have a hard time telling the difference between purple, blue and black.
    Definitely not just a man thing, my wife has this issue with cilantro as well.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Okem said:
    I dislike many foods. I once took one of those tests to see if you are a 'super taster'. They give you a little wafer, to most it just tastes like wafer, to others it's revolting. It tasted revolting. Then they put some kind of dye on your tung to show how many taste buds you have. I have a lot apparently.

So apparently I can taste all sorts of things that other people generally can't. Mostly it's a pain, but sometimes it's a help. As a kid I'd be able to taste that the milk had gone sour a couple of days before the rest of my family. It can be handy to be able to pick out various flavours or individual ingredients in meals, so you can understand how to make them, or figure out what combinations make a dish interesting.

Wow, I knew that due to them having more active taste buds, kids would taste everything way more intense and how this was the reason about their many dislikes and also why they eventually grow to like them as their sense of taste becomes more "adult".

Even to me, many waters taste disgusting. Right now I'm drinking what supposedly is spring water as we get it delivered to the house in 5 Gallon bottles and it doesn't taste good to me at all but I drink about a gallon to a gallon and a half each day and just don't want to buy that much Evian... I don't even enjoy most brands of "better" water, Volvic for example I cant stand.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    There's a lot of foods I hate, which sometimes makes life difficult. I have a really strong sense of taste and smell, (particularly dislike bitter) so certain foods and drinks are just a no go:
    Coffee (coffee ice cream ok)
    Mole
    Cauliflower
    Beef (all)
    Pork (all)
    Organ Meats (all)
    Beets
    Shellfish (all)
    Macadamia Nuts (tool of the devil)
    Walnuts
    Cashews
    Mountain Dew
    Mr Pibb
    Dr Pepper
    Moxie (vile)
    Sour Cream
    Avocado
    Potatoes (baked, mashed, any prep that doesn't involve frying basically)
    Squash (all kinds)
    Asparagus
    Cole Slaw
    Rutabaga
    Swiss cheese
    There's plenty more
    I hate that I hate so much stuff, but I do. Why eat foods you don't like? If I was starving, I'd eat whatever, but I'm not so I won't.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I'm cool with cilantro, but coriander gets the gas face.

Brussels sprouts are the worst, fyi.

• corriander and cilantro are the same thing.

i can't stand:

herring
    carab
    chocolate mousse/anything mousse
    vegemite
    miracle whip
    spam/any tinned meat whatsoever
    tarmosalata
    flake tuna

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Try shaking the water up to add oxygen and see if that improves the flavor.