How could you not like cilantro? Hated foods related

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    corriander and cilantro are the same thing.

You don't say.

And you are 100% correct on Miracle Whip.

• I'm the only Chicano I know who can't stand avocados and thus guacamole. Bleccchhh.

I'd been super excited to try Vegemite after hearing Men At Work sing about it way back when, then our very own SelinaKyle sent me some recently and I was not feeling it one bit.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    If I am not wrong, cilantro is the leaf, almost always served fresh. Coriander is the seed, almost always served dried. Both from the same plant.
    The taste is very different. So is the way they are used.

• Motherfuck Lima Beans

Fuck Beets also...shit tastes like a mouthful of dirt

Chitlins/Intestines can go to hell as well

• The_Hook_Up said:
    Fuck Beets alo...shit tastes like a mouthful of dirt

not if you prepare them properly. you never had a top notch bowl of borscht?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Herm said:
    I'm the only Chicano I know who can't stand avocados and thus guacamole. Bleccchhh.

I'd been super excited to try Vegemite after hearing Men At Work sing about it way back when, then our very own SelinaKyle sent me some recently and I was not feeling it one bit.
    Herm, it's definitely one of those foods people either love or hate. It's also one of those things where a little goes a long way. A friend said he always hated marmite (a similar spread) on toast, but he used to spread it on thick like Nutella. bleh.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Avocado is nature's butter.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Beets? They're delicious! Even our dogs love them. I always give them the top and the bottom part together with the peel and they go nuts like you'd feed them raw meat.

I love them roasted in the oven, pan friend or in a stew but they're best as a salad... just made one last night with tiny meat balls and a sour cream and balsamico dressing, a bit of mint and yes, cilantro... so good!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    mushrooms and eggs

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I don't like seafood (Not including fish).

But that's about it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DOR said:
    I don't like seafood (Not including fish).

Oh, that reminds me: Bivalves. All of them.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Br*an reminded me that I despise mushrooms.

• Black liquorice
    Any nut
    Coffee
    Gin
    Olives

Worst drink I ever tasted was a Dirty Martini.
    Seawater in a glass.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Motherfuck Lima Beans

I was right there with you until I tasted some Cuban Lima Bean Soup @ El Siboney in Key West.

• First off; I LOVE CILANTRO!! My mother also believes that it tastes like "dishwater" and since then, I can taste it... a little. Nevertheless, I love the way cilantro smells, it is very therapeutic. Here's my list of food-hate:

- Beef stew (no one makes this to my liking, except for the Mrs. and she forced me to eat it!)
    - Fried foods (too much grease and not enough food)
    - Beets
    - Squash
    - Oysters
    - Jagermeister (ode to black licorice)
    - CORN (undigestible)
    - White bread (give me any other bread
    - American cheese (too much oil, not enough cheese)
    - Sunny Delight (tastes like liquid plastic)
    - Nutella (I can't do it... I've tried and I just can't)
    - Kool-Aid
    - Sugar wafers
    - Marshmallows (in any form)
    - Souse meat (why...?)
    - Budweiser (Bud Light and any affiliates related to this dreaded beer. King of Beers? No, King of Crap)
    - Balogna
    - Miracle Whip
    - Macaroni salad (I hate macaroni salad...)
    - Cabbage
    - Chitterlings, pig feet, hog-head cheese, etc. etc.
    - Any food from the following resturants; the Waffle House, Skyline chili, Shoneys, and Denny's

• Oh man...I eat at Waffle House once, sometimes twice a week! (only thing open at 3a after I've packed up all my equipment at the club-related)

Scattered, covered and diced is the way to go!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Black Canned Olives ARE THE ABSOLUTE WORST

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yall buggin

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    batmon said:
    yall buggin

Some of these are definitely wtf. Corn? Potatoes? Nutella? BACON? To each his own but damn....

I've come around to liking a lot of foods I used to hate as a kid (latchkey/only child/picky eater moves), but I can get with most of these, minus the tripe and guts related stuff.

I definitely get down with cilantro. Like James said, it's become en vogue to hate it the last few years. More for me.

Also fuck all of these:

badder_than_evil said:
    Black liquorice
    Gin
    Olives

• Juan Cocktolstoy said:

- American cheese (too much oil, not enough cheese)
    - Budweiser (Bud Light and any affiliates related to this dreaded beer. King of Beers? No, King of Crap)

Sayin'

I find these two to be a major fail, how can anyone hate, even though I don't regularly partake in them. Reasons:

Large companies
    Fine products (Beer and cheese I know)
    Happiness factor
    Cheap

Cosign to each their own.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    on a hot summer day ill dink me some muthafuckin budwieser if its the only thang in the cooler at some party or beach.

shit is wack but ill drink that shit.

ill use velveeta with some other cheeses to make mac n cheese. its plastic consitancy binds better than the fufu shit.

ill fuck a hot dog up.

ill fry some bologna like a muthafucka.....i dont buy it but i can rock it if needed.

cilantro w some parsley and fenugreek in some ghormeh sabzi is the shit.

put hot sauce on it and ill ear that shit.

Long Island Ice Ts are some bullshit.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    batmon said:
    put hot sauce on it and ill eat that shit.

Sayin'. Mitchell's Garlic & Chilli sauce cures all evils. I had a salad last night, chopped bistro leaves with beetroot shavings, throw in a generous blob of Humous, mix the Mitchells in with the humous, Olives, bit of cheese... Nom Nom Nom...

Can't believe how picky some of the Strut eateurs are.

We must both have been hungry because we constantly led the conversation round to food.

"What is your favorite dish, grandad?"
    "All of them, my son. It's a great sin to say this is good and that is bad."
    "Why? Can't we make a choice?"
    "No, of course we can't."
    "Why not?"
    "Because there are people who are hungry."

I was silent, ashamed. My heart had never been able to reach that height of nobility and compassion.
    - Zorba Da Greak

Except cucumber.

• bassie said:

maraschino cherries

yes, so vile- they taste like Campari and Band-aids!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Aside from raw celery and fennel I'll eat pretty much everything. There are few things I've tried that I wouldn't seek out in a hurry (Vietnamese hard boiled chicken foetus I'm looking at you), but anything goes. I've never even heard of cilantro.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    AKallDay said:

I can't stand:

licorice
    asparagus

???I read somewhere that asparagus and liquorice have a compound in common - asparagine. What had first caught my imagination about the combination was its sheer unlikeliness, but the more I thought about it, the more it seemed to me that it could work. Liquorice is sweet ??? up to fifty times sweeter than table sugar ??? while asparagus has a bitterness. Maybe the two would make for a bittersweet experience??? It tasted great. It was one of those odd couples in which the differences in personality seemed to mesh like teeth in a cog. Lemmon & Matthau. Eric & Ernie. Liquorice & Asparagus.???
    Heston Blumethal, The Fat Duck Cookbook

Apparently he does some great dishes with the two. I love both, haven't yet tried them together.

My shit-list includes Heinz Baked Beans. School-dinners put me off for life.
    There's probably a few other things, but generally I'll try anything once - all of the bugs, chicklets & crap they can serve you in Thailand for example.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    I've never even heard of cilantro.

Hard to imagine, it's served with many Vietnamese dishes and (knowing you've lived in Abidjan) is even popular all over West Africa. Maybe you know it as Coriandre?

Frank said:
    Flomotion said:
    I've never even heard of cilantro.

Hard to imagine, it's served with many Vietnamese dishes and (knowing you've lived in Abidjan) is even popular all over West Africa. Maybe you know it as Coriandre?

Coriander! :necessary: Yes, very common, and very popular.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    CORIANDER!!! Ha, thanks for the translation!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Flomotion said:

I knew you'd know it and most probably love it. Mexican cuisine would be unthinkable without it. Here in Costa Rica people seem to eat it in quantities like others eat lettuce... I buy a big bag two or three times a week.

Frank said:
    Flomotion said:

I knew you'd know it and most probably love it. Mexican cuisine would be unthinkable without it. Here in Costa Rica people seem to eat it in quantities like others eat lettuce... I buy a big bag two or three times a week.

Indian & Thai wouldn't be the same without it.