Soul Strut Mix Off

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
I haven't done a proper mix in probably 6 years... I thought it would be fun for the non-beatmakers to have a spot where we do one 45 minute mix EXCLUSIVE to this site... Not just some play a song and fade into another... but blends, overdubs, samples, whatever, Serato, MP3s, I don't care. Self expression and creativity is key. Anybody in?

Viva La Strut.

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I'm down. No over-dubs or fancy shit from me, but it won't be dull fade-in/out either.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I've been thinking about doing something like this for my own amusement for a minute now, right up to the point where I'd even prepped a few routines and edits, only for the recordings to just end up sitting on the hard drive doing nothing. I always thought it might be cool to attempt a cross between White Lily's legendary Bottom Of The Universe mix and that Editors-In-Chief c&p joint JP and drbrowns did for the site years ago.

All my vinyl is still boxed up, which would make committing to anything time-sensitive a bit of a problem in the immediate future. But if this were to become an ongoing thing like the beat-offs, then I'd definitely be down to contribute something a little further down the line. No doubt I would be interested in hearing what some of the folks on here would come up with, given a completely blank canvas and such a broad brief.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Can we do secret Tracklists to add some interest and 'spotting' conversation?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    I've got a CD length mix I was going to submit to MIXES. But it's full of transitions and film dialogue and over-dubs... would suit this. How strict is the length criterion?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i'll do one

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    I would love to do this, especially since using movies are fair game and I haven't made any mixes or beats in a damn long time, but I only have one turntable now and my MacBook w/ Garage Band crapped on me a month ago.

• I'm down for this

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Count me in. When is the deadline?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    MusicaDelAlma said:

I was thinking we'd give it a month... I need the weekend to set up the equipment... December 10th?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Perfect!

• DEEP INTO THIS.

• i was working on a "hurricane sandy survival mix" a couple weeks ago but kinda got stumped somewhere between metallica's 'battery" and parliment's "flashlight"..... i'd love to have this as a good motivation to actually complete one start to finish.

down.

any theme or restrictions?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

any theme or restrictions?

Nah - better to turn people on to ish they wouldn't hear otherwise. I'm not going to approach it as a popularity contest, just what I'm feeling.

• my best mixes usually take about 2 months to complete so i say the deadline should be closer to the new year, say... Jan 1st? then i'd be down.

DustedDon said:
    my best mixes usually take about 2 months to complete so i say the deadline should be closer to the new year, say... Jan 1st? then i'd be down.

Good call...

• Color me interested.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Count me in.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    January 1st gives me enough time to learn my new rig and get a proper mix done.
    This sounds like a lot of fun.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Can I join too? No raers, just a mix of good music for getting down.

Noted, 10 Dec submission deadline.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Jan 1 gives me plenty of time. Been wanting to do a mix anyways...

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Count me in.

I like the no tracklist idea. It makes it more exciting the first time you listen.

People should provide a paragraph of the theme though.

• It will be branged.

Don't think I'm going to be able to make the deadline. Just moved in the new spot a month ago and things are still hectic.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Don't think I'm going to be able to make the deadline. Just moved in the new spot a month ago and things are still hectic.

same here i am moving in a month and the girls are comng home from the hospital
    however
    i think this could have fit the bill (especially the intro)
    notabene: i am not mixmaster mike by any stretch of the imagination

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/mixes/indepth/bear_breaks_vol.1/

• pcmr said:
    RAJ said:

same here i am moving in a month and the girls are comng home from the hospital
    however
    i think this could have fit the bill (especially the intro)
    notabene: i am not mixmaster mike by any stretch of the imagination

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/mixes/indepth/bear_breaks_vol.1/

This mix is :hard_as_fuck:

Thank you for this!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    RAJ said:
    MusicaDelAlma said:

I was thinking we'd give it a month... I need the weekend to set up the equipment... December 10th?
    Is it still the 10th? I've been meaning to do one for a couple of months. Do I submit the mix to you Raj?

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    so is the due date Dec 10th or Jan 1st?

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    I've not done any mixes since around the period when Raj kindly hosted my Harajuku Snap mix, which was some years ago now.
    I've been meaning to do a new mix for ages and this mix off will hopefully give me the kick up the ass I need (I do have to learn how to put it together in Ableton though, not tried to create a mix in there yet)

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Strutter DJs and listeners,

I'm down to make a mix, time permitting. This could be very fun indeed.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak