Soul Strut Mix Off

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Jan 2nd peeps....

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    im not going to be able to make this timeline anymore unfortunately! Sorry dudes...

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    damn i wish i had seen this earlier

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    The deadline is almost here! Good thing it's a rainy day so I'm trying to wrap it up(so far so good). How do we go about submitting?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Raj,

Happy Holidays everyone!!! Where do you want us to post our mix-off mixes? Here in this thread? Thanks!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Strutters,

Here is my mix: Soul Strut Mix Off-Big Stacks

It's multitracked (onto Logic) using only my two turntables as inputs (no sampling related). Essentially, I tried to showcase some of the dance music that I loved during my pre-pubescent and teenage years, with some of my early b-boy influences mixed in as well. I hope you enjoy it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Strutters,

It's multitracked (onto Logic) using only my two turntables as inputs (no sampling related). Essentially, I tried to showcase some of the dance music that I loved during my pre-pubescent and teenage years, with some of my early b-boy influences mixed in as well. I hope you enjoy it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Love it! Ace selection and nicely executed.

Hey Finelikewine,

I thank you for the compliment and for listening to the mix. I was concerned that since I didn't get real 'heavy' with the selections that the mix wouldn't go over well. I was going for a danceable vibe, which meant going to some of my favorite, non-raer tunes to get the groove going. Again, I'm glad you enjoyed the mix. I wish you and yours a Happy New Year, my man!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Finelikewine,

I thank you for the compliment and for listening to the mix. I was concerned that since I didn't get real 'heavy' with the selections that the mix wouldn't go over well. I was going for a danceable vibe, which meant going to some of my favorite, non-raer tunes to get the groove going. Again, I'm glad you enjoyed the mix. I wish you and yours a Happy New Year, my man!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Big Stacks,

thanks for the good wishes. I wish you and yours the same. What's the title of the classic at around 8:20?
    I know it but the title escapes me at the moment.

• nice mix big stacks. very easy going, positive vibe to it...just like its creator. happy new year to you and yours

finelikewine said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Finelikewine,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Big Stacks,

thanks for the good wishes. I wish you and yours the same. What's the title of the classic at around 8:20?
    I know it but the title escapes me at the moment.

Hey Finelikewine,

The tune is "All Night Thang" by The Invisible Man's Band (Clarence Burke-related). I've loved this song since my uncles gave me the 12" single (along with hundreds of others) when they shut down their disco in the early 80s (I was about 11 at the time).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

crabmongerfunk said:
    nice mix big stacks. very easy going, positive vibe to it...just like its creator. happy new year to you and yours

Hey Crabmongerfunk,

Ah, you're too kind, man! It's apparent that we have similar musical sensibilities, as surely, you picked up on my intent with this mix (and others that I've posted). It's funny, my brother Will and I were talking the other day about how sometimes we're not in the mood to hear anything too 'challenging.' Instead, I just want to groove to some 'fun' music, and that means playing lighter, more upbeat stuff that doesn't require too much attention to digest. Pretty much, that was how I felt when I made this mix. I wish you and your family a Happy New Year as well. Thanks again, and I truly appreciate your positive disposition and kindness. I hope to meet you in the near future.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Big Stacks, xlnt mix for the new year! Super fun, nice work. The 2nd tune in had me hooked!

NerdAlert said:
    Big Stacks, xlnt mix for the new year! Super fun, nice work. The 2nd tune in had me hooked!

Hey NerdAlert,

I thank you for the love, man!!! Are you referring to the Dr. Buzzard's joint ("Hard Times"; which is blended with Black Ivory's "Mainline") or the Lee Moore joint after that part? I'm glad you enjoyed the mix and thanks for listening.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Yo! Here's my contribution. Wanted to get this to y'all before the new year so I finally got it done this evening. It's a melting pot of psych, prog, library, jazz with a dash of magic.

Please please please enjoy and happy new year!

NerdAlert said:
    Yo! Here's my contribution. Wanted to get this to y'all before the new year so I finally got it done this evening. It's a melting pot of psych, prog, library, jazz with a dash of magic.

Hey NerdAlert,

I just finished listening to your mix, and I really enjoyed it. You played some very heavy selections that hit my musical sensibilities in a major way. There was a song at about 5:00 that was bananas! Great work, man, and I thank you for sharing such fantastic music.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts

Hey NerdAlert,

I just finished listening to your mix, and I really enjoyed it. You played some very heavy selections that hit my musical sensibilities in a major way. There was a song at about 5:00 that was bananas! Great work, man, and I thank you for sharing such fantastic music.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    Thanks man, that means a lot coming from you! The song is Fearless off of Pink Floyd's Meddle

• word i would've got down with this...i'll wait for the next one

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I thought I'd add a mix I just put together, a combination of blazing downtempo/electronic, etc. enjoy.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Deadline was today. Just 3 or 4 mixes eh?

• I present: Chow Mei Funk!

Dig in!

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Nice one Otis!! Listening now...

• NerdAlert said:

Dope mix M*x!! Nice spacey vibe throughout.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    NerdAlert said:
    Deadline was today. Just 3 or 4 mixes eh?

Sorry. I have mentally checked out from this thread / project. I still think this is a good idea!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    NerdAlert said:

Yea, so nice. Makes me miss summer.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Thank you Bassie and KindCromang for the kind words! Glad you were into it. Cheers

NerdAlert said:

Nice! Just shared it on facebook.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Hell yeah, thank you Finelikewine!!

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Strutters,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey,

The post above has an updated link to my mix. The previous one is dead since I tweaked the levels a bit on it and re-upped it. Enjoy!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I've been distracted with other things, mainly these 3 other mixes I just put up on my soundcloud. The last one to work on was this - SoulStrut mix - I'll get there soon enough and post it, but until then, sip the juice: http://soundcloud.com/stackswell-1/