Rap You're Liking

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts

endless amusement!

• JroamJroam 257 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Jroam said:

caught this before I left for work - it's quite nice. how's the whole tape?

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    Solid overall. Always keeping an ear open for Ampichino.

Cool, thanks. No youtube access at work, will DL the tape this weekend.

I never was able to get into the Kevin Gates, either.....

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    These two tapes still get heavy rotation:

Yea, the Sean Price is good. Some just-OK beats, but he comes correct.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    cai said:

reloaded is off the fucking chain -

aged single malt rap

new bronson is ridiculous. new york shitting on everybody right now

• As above, ageing b boys worldwide can take heart from the current crop of releases from NYC.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Yeah, there's nothing especially new about that Roc Marciano record, but it does that whole NY thug introspection c. '93 vibe better than I've heard it done for a very long time. The 10cc flip on 76 works really well.

• Joey Bada$$ is probably in a similar vein, I'm enjoying 1999 right now.

Possum Slim said:
    Joey Bada$$ is probably in a similar vein, I'm enjoying 1999 right now.

I had big hopes for it off Hardknock, but the whole tape is kinda snoozey.

But, his new track with Ab Soul, Enter the Void, is hot. That is some Rap I Am Liking!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    bassie said:

But, his new track with Ab Soul, Enter the Void, is hot. That is some Rap I Am Liking!

Love the beat, creates a great vibe, but think I'd need to be really drunk and/or high to engage with the lyrics. Is this the intended effect? Sort of live, of-the-cuff unplanned tomfoolery in the studio?
    Maybe I need to squeegy that 3rd I.

It has had some rewinds though, so thanks.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Yeah, there's nothing especially new about that Roc Marciano record, but it does that whole NY thug introspection c. '93 vibe better than I've heard it done for a very long time. The 10cc flip on 76 works really well.

Hmmm - I think the way the lyrics are emphasized by lack of HARD HITTING drums and kicks is kind of his angle / sound. Its more than throwback to me. Qtip exec produced the record I believe.

And check this out:

DJ Sheep production - pretty dope. In a recent interview with some fucking dweeb over on the-breaks Roc mentioned he received every library record ever produced from Sheep (digitally). A bold claim to be sure.

staxwax said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Hmmm - I think the way the lyrics are emphasized by lack of HARD HITTING drums and kicks is kind of his angle / sound. Its more than throwback to me. Qtip exec produced the record I believe.

Yeah, that attempt at finding a fresh approach is what I like about it. He doesn't just do a revival kind of thing like so many others, although it reminds me, loosely speaking, of records like Cuban Links or The Infamous in terms of its atmosphere rather than anything more specific. I think it definitely belongs in that tradition, but not for the usual, obvious reasons. I tend to like it when a rap record goes for some kind of clear unifying thread, whether sonically or thematically, and it took a few listens to figure out where his beats ended and the ones from other producers began. It's a really strong, coherent album.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    staxwax said:
    . In a recent interview with some fucking dweeb over on the-breaks Roc mentioned he received every library record ever produced from Sheep (digitally). A bold claim to be sure.

Can u link us to the interview please?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I guess even most germans won't like because of their bavarian dialect. Anyway, I think it's brilliant.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I guess even most germans won't like because of their bavarian dialect. Anyway, I think it's brilliant.

Hell to the yeah...