Post Up A Good Hollywood Bio Pic

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
I dare you.

Personally I love the bio pic, from the Benny Goodman Story to that Etta James one, or at least Ray.
But I know, deep down, they all really suck.

There is one I will ride for. I think this one works because it deals with just a brief period of time, instead of trying to condense an entire life into 110 minutes.

Comments

• I don't know if it's objectively *good* or whatever, but whenever I come across the Temptations movie on VH1 I invariably watch till the end.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Raging Bull

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Raging Bull

yeah. this and malcom x. in my private mindgarden i always wanted to see a epic parliament/funkadelic movie made by oliver stone in the 90's. complete with crazy animated sections by bashki,chuck jones and brothers quay.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I don't know if it's objectively *good* or whatever, but whenever I come across the Temptations movie on VH1 I invariably watch till the end.

i agree.

I still enjoy the Jacksons Family joint.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I was thinking of music bio pics, but expanding it doesn't make it easy.

There is a Lincoln pic coming out. By Spielberg maybe, I forget. Looked terrible to me.

I suppose there have been some good bio pics of Western heroes and villains. In most cases they were not worried about historical accuracy.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The Buddy Holly Story.

Holly's relentless ambition and Busey's cocky enthusiasm were a good match.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    The Buddy Holly Story.

Saw it when it came out.
    The controversy I recall is that Busey hits a record executive and Holly fans say he would never hit anyone.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Mesrine (this is French though, gangster biopic in two parts starring Vince Cassel)

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Lamont said:
    Mesrine (this is French though, gangster biopic in two parts starring Vince Cassel)

Great film, loved it. might still be on Netflix

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    yes, just watched The Temptations again the other night, a lot of those dudes do their own singing in that & do a great job.

• ed wood

• Bird

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Reiterating the view of others in this and the Nina Simone thread, I feel that the biopic is an inherently flawed genre, but there are a few that I think go beyond the straight ONE (WO)MAN...BATTLING THE INTERNAL DEMONS formula. As a recent example, I thought the Serge Gainsbourg biopic "Gainsbourg (vie h??ro??que)" had slightly different approach with the puppets etc.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    If I put my biases aside, I can enjoy La Bamba for what it is.

Never mind that Lou Diamond Phillips doesn't look shit like Ritchie Valens (he would have had to gain a few more pounds, for one thing).

• pickwick33 said:
    The Buddy Holly Story.

This is what I was going to say. Really great movie. Gary Busey does a good job singing the songs too. I remember he was in that late 60s/early 70s band 'Carp' before his acting career.

• Round' Midnight (I think thats the name)

Sid & Nancy