Hip Hop Slang Makes No Sense...

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
...sometimes."Selling wolf tickets"???"Shooting the gift"???Anyone got any insights into the linguistic origins of these phrases???

Comments

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

"Shooting the gift"???

shooting the gift "of gab"

shooting=spitting=speaking=flowing

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    wolf tickets is an old ass expression.
    shooting gift=gift of gab maybe?

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Shooting the gift"???

Like Mitch Richmond?

Dude, I think it refers to b-ball shooting skills.

• i've always wondered about that wolf tickets shit. how did that originate?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    wolf tickets is SUPER old... funny, how people give E-40 credit for shit that's like a hundred years old... like saying "scratch" for money (i read some guy on line attribute that to E-40), when you can read Iceberg Slim say that in Pimp a long time back...

i love when i see old film noir movies and someone says "watch out, he's got a gat!"

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    i've always wondered about that wolf tickets shit. how did that originate?

from what I've read, Selling Wolf Tickets goes to a (mistaken)reanalysis of woofin. Which was an old Chicago term for talking shit or false threats. I guess slang for lying evolved to "selling woof tickets" which a lot of people mistook for WOLF tickets. But woofin was alyways someone just talking shit. kind of like a dog that's all bark and no bite. straight woofin.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    someone tell me what "shrekenberry" and "bundle bush" (i think i know what that means) mean

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

from what I've read, Selling Wolf Tickets goes to a (mistaken)reanalysis of woofin. Which was an old Chicago term for talking shit or false threats. I guess slang for lying evolved to "selling woof tickets" which a lot of people mistook for WOLF tickets. But woofin was alyways someone just talking shit. kind of like a dog that's all bark and no bite. straight woofin.

cue wuf tickets - "ya mama"

YADADADADAMEAN?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    "Kanye" I understand.

"Kanye-Tidda" I have problems.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Wolf as in "the boy who cried wolf"... talkin' shit with nothing to substantiate it.

• Selling wolf (or woof) tickets- an empty threat with no substance. Also a nice little ditty on:

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    can someone explain the origin of how "jakes" is an undercover/cop?

"gezeppoli" is a ficticious Italian dish created by The Black Italiano aka The PopMaster aka prince paul, used in the context of "i fed your girl gezeppoli"

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Wolf as in "the boy who cried wolf"... talkin' shit with nothing to substantiate it.

The phrase wolf ticket is a corruption of an African-American slang expression for the practice of verbal intimidation, "sellin' (or passin' out) woof tickets," that was misinterpreted by whites. Over time, the misnomer has become accepted terminology.

"Woofing," or "woofin'," like "signifyin'" and "talkin' trash," is part of the African-American oral tradition. The term is derived from the onomatopoeic expression of the sound of, for instance, a junkyard dog barking to ward off potential intruders.

"Sellin' woof tickets" is engaging in threatening or intimidating verbal aggression, usually without the intent of actually doing physical harm. In West African and African-American cultures, verbal sparring and physical displays traditionally were employed as proxies for physical violence to preserve life and maintain peace and order. Woofin' also can be a means of "calling someone out," of challenging an opponent to a verbal or physical match.

See the dozens.

More:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_ticket

that's the analogy I was looking for...but woofin was the old term. which probably came from wolfin...backwards from what I said. I read too much into a terminology websites definition.

someone tell me what "shrekenberry" and "bundle bush" (i think i know what that means) mean

weed...shrek is green, duh.

Jake And The Fat Man... tv show from the 80's.

And while we're at it, "herb" comes from a nerd ass character from a Burger King commercial, also from back in the 80's.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    And while we're at it, "herb" comes from a nerd ass character from a Burger King commercial, also from back in the 80's.

Really?? That's interesting... always wondered about that one.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Jake And The Fat Man... tv show from the 80's.

I moved to the US around the time that was on. Before that, growing up in the UK, it was the children's cereal and candy references that really had me I thought it was some metaphysical shit until I watched Sat. am TV