Chicago (Weekend jaunt-r)

Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
I'll be in the Chi next weekend to hang with a ladyfriend. Would love to hear any recommendations on things to hit/do/eat/see, etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Since nobody else has I'll chime in. I'm not from the area but usually get to spend a week there every year for business. As I don't get a ton of free time there my list isn't very ambitious, but here's what I try to hit up:

1) Go to Dusty Groove, plan on spending at least an hour (and some $$$). Not cheap, but they usually have some very good stuff and it's one of the best organized & cleanest record shops I know.

2) If your timing's right, head south down N Ashland a bit and eat lunch at De Pasada. There are a bunch of taco joints around there but this one's the best IMO, a very small place with a low counter and a few tables. Some of the best tacos I've had outside of Houston.

3) Hit up the bar at the Drake hotel, which has a great old school vibe, usually live piano, and the executive cocktail. Take your cocktail of choice and ask for the executive version of it, trust me you've never seen a bartender hold a bottle upside-down for so long. It's probably 3-4 cocktails in one glass.

4) After a few of those (more than 2 is not recommended) you can stumble down a few blocks to the Hancock tower. Head up to the bar/restaurant on the 95th floor and enjoy the view. There's no admission and you're not really even obligated to get a drink, but I can think of many less interesting places that charge more for a cocktail. Best to avoid on weekends as it can get packed up there and you'll wait in line.

5) If steak is your thing go to Gene & Georgetti, a very classy, old school steakhouse. Not cheap, of course, but great vibe and VERY good food.

Depending on where you're staying I may have a few more recommendations but hopefully some of the locals will share a few insider tips.

• Neo on a Thursday for the new wave night.

But don't take your ladyfriend here

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Thanks guys. Great info. SInce I won't be in the Chi on Thursday, I won't have to make that obviously tough choice of whether to leave the lady at the hotel for the Noble Grape.

• For music check out: The Hideout, The Shrine, The Green Mill(great Jazz club that still has its original Art Deco decor), Jazz Showcase and of course Dusty.

For Food:
    Pleasant House Bakery is truly excellent, their main thing are savory pies (chicken, kale, or steak) but there have daily specials too (proper fish and chips every Friday, spectacular burgers on Tuesdays). Every thing is held to the highest standards and they grow a lot of their own food too! Can not say enough good things. Also they will deliver your food to Maria's Bar next door, (which just happens to be one of the best beer bars in all of Chicago and their music is often provided by Joe Bryl former owner of Sonotheque).

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Man ,that tip about the Shrine is money. Looks like Rich Medina is playing there the Friday I'll be in town!

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I spent the majority of my six years out there along the Blue Line so my vantage point is a little skewed.

The Signature Room on the 95th of the Hancock is definitely worth checking out if you're out of town, especially with a lady friend.

My favorite cocktails came out of The Whistler on Milwaukee Ave. in Logan Square. Imaginitive and delicious with a great speak-easy vibe. Good luck finding the front door, it's to the right of a random art display in the window. Gastropub food and Chicago brewed beer can be had just down the street at Revolution brewing. And if you're over that way, go say hi to Erik at the Boiler Room, great beer selection and Jameson on tap.

Highly recommend Dusty Groove but bring the loot. Logan Hardware is always a fun spot. The selection lacks a bit in "Strut" terms but they have an incredible selection of classic arcade games in the back room. You're given access to said back room after you make a purchase. Saki Records is another one I always liked but mainly specialized in new indie records and reissues, didn't really know what gems they were sitting on though.....

Hope this helps.

B/W: The bar that could've been my favorite bar is Scofflaw. Gin bar opened up by one of the guys that started the Whistler. Similar vibe but much more inviting. Avoid walking around in that area late night though.