Black T.V. Thread

Comments

• According to TV.Com, the episode I'm thinking of would have originally run on January 8, 1974. So yeah, Isaac would have still been popular. Besides, it should be mentioned that the character of Maude actually bought the poster specifically for the girl, whose name is Francie. IIRC, when she shows the picture to someone else in the house, it gets a laugh from the studio audience. So, even though Maude didn't know what "Motown" was (according to a later episode where Francie reappeared), she was aware enough of Hayes.

• Lucious_Fox said:
    I love Martin, I need Martin reruns in my life right nah.

Martin is top 10 easily, maybe even top 5.
    Martin is Brilliant.

The one season Richard Pryor show was leaps and bounds The cast is killer

Sandra Bernhard
    Marsha Warfield
    John Witherspoon
    Robin Williams
    Paul Mooney
    Tim Reid

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    According to TV.Com, the episode I'm thinking of would have originally run on January 8, 1974. So yeah, Isaac would have still been popular. Besides, it should be mentioned that the character of Maude actually bought the poster specifically for the girl, whose name is Francie. IIRC, when she shows the picture to someone else in the house, it gets a laugh from the studio audience. So, even though Maude didn't know what "Motown" was (according to a later episode where Francie reappeared), she was aware enough of Hayes.

How in the Hell is Maude oblivious to Motown? She's not from the sticks.
    I just cant image if she is in her 40's in the 70's she didnt hear any popular Black music anywhere in the 60's while she was in her 30's.
    He daughter is supposed to be the "hip" one but i never got from the First Season that she was that damn L7.

outspoken, middle-aged, politically liberal woman living in suburban Tuckahoe, Westchester County,

I would think she is the Generation right before the Big Chill Yuppies who were in their late 30's in the 80's right?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    oldnewsoul said:
    Lucious_Fox said:
    I love Martin, I need Martin reruns in my life right nah.

Martin is top 10 easily, maybe even top 5.
    Martin is Brilliant.

The one season Richard Pryor show was leaps and bounds The cast is killer

Sandra Bernhard
    Marsha Warfield
    John Witherspoon
    Robin Williams
    Paul Mooney
    Tim Reid

i'm being serious -- will popular culture ever acknowledge pryor's bisexuality? it seems to get whitewashed out the mainstream/ pop histories of him.

and yes, that cast/writers was redonk.

SIRUS said:
    i'm being serious -- will popular culture ever acknowledge pryor's bisexuality? it seems to get whitewashed out the mainstream/ pop histories of him.

Black-washing as well. Black Folk/Audiences wont support that shit then.
    He'll slip in a dick suckin' joke here or there but made it seem like it was out desperation.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Black TV related; the champs podcast has interviews with rusty cundiff (fear of black hat, director of chapelle show) and larry wilmore ( co-creator of bernie mac show)

• also Black TV related: The new network ASPIRE TV pretty much only plays The Bill Cosby Show (form late 6o's Chet Kincaide Afro -Bill Cosby), The Flip Wilson Show and Soul Train reruns. :feelin_it:

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i like that wilmore interview; he explains that fox never liked/understood the bernie mac show. despite the accolades and the ratings. and kellita smith. :bizzo:

• How in the Hell is Maude oblivious to Motown? She's not from the sticks.

According to the writers, she was.

On one 1974 episode, Francie and her boyfriend are trying to con Maude out of some money. They make up some story about forming a singing duo and making a long-distance trip to Motown.

Maude: "What's Motown?"

That's what the script had her say.

Now, I'm not saying that she had a complete stash of Temptations LPs filed in the parlor (although she probably would have dug [i]In A Mellow [/i]Mood, their album of MOR standards). But as up on racial issues as she was, you'd think she'd have a passing knowledge of what Motown Records is, even if was just from reading an article in Newsweek or some such.

I think it's incredulous myself. Motown remains the only record label that is just as well-known as its' artists. Even Columbia doesn't have that kind of power. Archie and Edith Bunker may not have known what a Motown was, and probably didn't think Detroit produced anything other than automobiles. But Maude Findlay should have been aware.

I just cant image if she is in her 40's in the 70's she didnt hear any popular Black music anywhere in the 60's while she was in her 30's.

That's television for you. Hell, Meathead on All In The Family seems like the baby-boomer longhair type who would have been checking out folk and soft-rock acts at the Bitter End. But the writers had him watching classical music on PBS.

I would think she is the Generation right before the Big Chill Yuppies who were in their late 30's in the 80's right?

Possibly. Wasn't her husband celebrating his fiftieth birthday during the first season? For some reason I was thinking she was closer to that.

• batmon said:
    SIRUS said:

He'll slip in a dick suckin' joke here or there but made it seem like it was out desperation.

That's something I missed. Never suspected any bisexual tendencies. I remember him talking about the neighborhood gay when he was a kid, and how supposedly straight guys would be coming around dude's house at night to get a piece. But that was just something he observed; I don't think he was ever in the story.

pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:
    SIRUS said:

That's something I missed. Never suspected any bisexual tendencies. I remember him talking about the neighborhood gay when he was a kid, and how supposedly straight guys would be coming around dude's house at night to get a piece. But that was just something he observed; I don't think he was ever in the story.

I really only heard one or two dick suckin' jokes from him in my lifetime. Suckin dick as a poor kid to get money.

Maybe Sirus has more info.

pickwick33 said:

Possibly. Wasn't her husband celebrating his fiftieth birthday during the first season? For some reason I was thinking she was closer to that.

In Season One she makes fun of him like she is much younger like Early/Mid 40's IIRC.

Her Wiki says she was described as a Limosine Liberal. About the "Cause" but never ate at Black Family's Home before type shit.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    on "live and smokin" pryor talked about sucking dick -- "if your not CAREFUL, you can get addicted to sucking dick" -- and remember, this was when pryor was taking off the bill cosby drag and talking about being himself. even at that roast he made some jokes about it, trying to play it off, calling mooney 'miss thang' etc. in the early to semi-early days he was not shy about the fact he got down with dudes.

SIRUS said:
    on "live and smokin" pryor talked about sucking dick -- "if your not CAREFUL, you can get addicted to sucking dick" -- and remember, this was when pryor was taking off the bill cosby drag and talking about being himself. even at that roast he made some jokes about it, trying to play it off, calling mooney 'miss thang' etc. in the early to semi-early days he was not shy about the fact he got down with dudes.

Mooney seems gay to me. He and Pryor have a long lasting writing partnership. Its kinda whatevs to me at this point.

I have to say that Whats Happening is some really good shit. Its beginning to eclipse Good Times for me.

GT had the social commentary advantage but WH is just as funny and has a nice lite feel to it.

GT goes in on the emotional shit hard.

Im now curious to check the wack WHNow w early career Martin Lawrence. I dont think its ever coming out on DVD.

I have to say that Whats Happening is some really good shit. Its beginning to eclipse Good Times for me.

GT had the social commentary advantage but WH is just as funny and has a nice lite feel to it.

Im now curious to check the wack WHNow w early career Martin Lawrence. I dont think its ever coming out on DVD.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    batmon said:
    SIRUS said:

Mooney seems gay to me. He and Pryor have a long lasting writing partnership. Its kinda whatevs to me at this point.

Is Mooney not out, then? I thought he was. I'm sure I've seen or read interviews with him where he refers to his gayness. Not at length or in a flag-waving kinda way, but in a "I'm gay, so what? Next question" kinda way.

Pryor shopping on both sides of the street? Never would have thought.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Don't know whether Mooney is gay. He has/had a wife and several kids. His daughter helps manage him I believe. Of course having family doesn't mean your not gay, but something to consider.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Don't know whether Mooney is gay. He has/had a wife and several kids. His daughter helps manage him I believe. Of course having family doesn't mean your not gay, but something to consider.

OK, well, I guess I must have imagined that interview. He's always seem kind of fierce, in a manner of speaking.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i figured at this point it wouldn't be that big of a deal and that it would be acknowledged about pryor but i guess not.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I definitely got the vibe from both Pryor and Mooney that they had some sexual experiences with men. They both made lots of wink-wink jokes and allusions to it back in the 70's (watch that roast of Richard Pryor again closely and it's blatant) and if you want to play amateur shrink they both cultivated kind of hyper-masculine images and personas that one could easily imagine were there to compensate for feelings they may have been hiding. Pryor in particular had such a fucked up upbringing it's easy to picture that he had some homosexual experiences, whether consensual or not.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    motown67 said:

OK, well, I guess I must have imagined that interview. He's always seem kind of fierce, in a manner of speaking.

Mooney definitely makes no reference to being gay in his autobiography. When he was just starting out, he was friends with Joe & Eddie, a black folk duo from L.A. who were popular for a minute in the sixties.

He used to love traveling with those guys because it gave him the opportunity to meet and get laid by white women.

DocMcCoy said:
    motown67 said:

Mooney definitely makes no reference to being gay in his autobiography. When he was just starting out, he was friends with Joe & Eddie, a black folk duo from L.A. who were popular for a minute in the sixties.

He used to love traveling with those guys because it gave him the opportunity to meet and get laid by white women.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Bisexual?

I have never got a hyper masculine vibe from either man**, but would say they are both very much men (said in an Earth Kitt growl).
    I get the feeling that whether gay, straight or bi, Mooney is most definitely queer and would probably carve and follow his own path no matter who he finds attractive.
    A gay man who wanted children didn't have too many options when he and Pryor were coming up. His marriage and family are even less so markers of heterosexuality then than they are today.

my two cents.

**Edit - I should mention, I have not delved into either man's life too deeply. I am going on acts, interviews, appearances, etc. over the years.

batmon said:

Good Times was just coming in on the tail end of the Nixon administration. There was still a bit of leftover 1960s bitterness in the air when it premiered. By the time What's Happening!!! showed up in summer '76, the mood of the country wasn't as intense.

As far as Good Times and the "social commentary"...there was something extremely forced and awkward about the way they handled it. All of a sudden, characters who previously only spoke "jive" now started sounding like they were reading verbatim from a pamphlet. And then there was that lady in the audience during the early seasons who always shouted "RAT ON" whenever something meaningful was said. The intentions were good, but the execution was off.

I remember watching Season One and thinking it was handled well. By the time Martin Lawrence entered the picture, it was a few years down the line. They were phasing out Raj, Dwayne & Rerun and building a whole new stable of characters, IIRC. I was only watching sporadically by then.

Anyone remember an 80s series called Bustin' Loose? It starred Jimmie Walker as a live-in helper to a social worker and her four foster kids, one of whom was blind...DVD? We'll be lucky if this turns up on Youtube.

pickwick33 said:
    Anyone remember an 80s series called Bustin' Loose? It starred Jimmie Walker as a live-in helper to a social worker and her four foster kids, one of whom was blind...DVD? We'll be lucky if this turns up on Youtube.

I dont recall this show

b/w

Roger of WH does happen to have a Jimi poster over his dresser in 76.
    As well as Sly Stone and some other 8 x11s i cant make out yet.

Mooney has twin sons who did a quick run in the 80s on the comedy circuit.

Both Pryor and Mooney dont really have the Shaft-esque "hyper masculinity", but do have that loud mouth i dont give a fuck Black thang, that dudes like Ali, Jim Brown, and Dick Gregory have. Ali and Brown can back it up physically. A dude like Kareem comes from the same cloth but is smooth with his shit.

I never saw the Pryor Bio movie. Is there any allusion to what were talmbout?
    And do i need to see it?

batmon said:

And do i need to see it?

You mean Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling?

It's okay. Just okay.

If you see the videotape in a dollar bin, buy it. If it comes on cable and you're channel-hopping, watch it. It's no wall-to-wall classic that you should move heaven & earth to see But it is entertaining.

And really - if they had to fictionalize the man's life, couldn't they have given him a better name than "Jo Jo Dancer?"

pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:

And do i need to see it?

You mean Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling?

It's okay. Just okay.

If you see the video for a $1, buy it. If it comes on cable and you're channel-hopping, watch it. It's no wall-to-wall classic, but it is entertaining.

And really - if they had to fictionalize the man's life, couldn't they have given him a better name than "Jo Jo Dancer?"

Wasnt there a book and then the movie? I never got why they used an alias. I figured it might have been an early stage name or somethin.

I have seen a decent Pryor bio, but I don't know if there was a direct tie-in with the flick.