Wyclef Jean bears his corny ass soul and blabs like a true blowhard

Comments

• Controller_7 said:
    True or false:

You emailed Tom Colicchio about being on Top Chef as a guest judge and used the words "refined Clef palate."

False. Man shit are you trying to insult me? You are reachin there fa sure. Clef palate, man come on, that shit is some Haiti Hatin' fa sure. Even 3rd world doctors can fix that shit, man, come on it's 2012. Fa reallz

• True or false:

Your set at the Tibetan Freedom Festival in San Francisco went off without a hitch and the fugees killed it.

• Controller_7 said:
    True or false:

Your set at the Tibetan Freedom Festival in San Francisco went off without a hitch and the fugees killed it.

Of course True. We killed that shit. The Fugees (or any act that i partake) always kill. Uh, Duh, Bro?! Kanye can I get a shout here bro? Dude these questions are gettin tenuous. It's like most people will pay me to answer this shit, but like, for some reason, shit I don't no I jus am answering this shit, man, my agent is gonna pull the plug I'm sure, any sec now. Betta give me the good questions...

• Wyclef Jean said:
    Controller_7 said:
    True or false:

Of course True. We killed that shit. The Fugees (or any act that i partake) always kill. Uh, Duh, Bro?! Kanye can I get a shout here bro? Dude these questions are gettin tenuous. It's like most people will pay me to answer this shit, but like, for some reason, shit I don't no I jus am answering this shit, man, my agent is gonna pull the plug I'm sure, any sec now. Betta give me the good questions...

Alias revealed. The fugees had major sound issues through the whole set.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    ^^^^^
    Sleuther Vandross revealed

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• skel said:
    ^^^^^
    Sleuther Vandross revealed

Ha ha. I was really hoping this was the real Clef.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    True or false:

You emailed Tom Colicchio about being on Top Chef as a guest judge and used the words "refined Clef palate."

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    If you rode for the score lauryn hill or any of that shit at any point - smh

and what was that fools name with that other wack song? Pras? both him and wyclef are some ugly and dumb ass b*tches

oh and lmfao at ziggy marley blowing peoples minds wtf dude

staxwax said:
    If you rode for the score lauryn hill or any of that shit at any point - smh

and what was that fools name with that other wack song? Pras? both him and wyclef are some ugly and dumb ass b*tches

oh and lmfao at ziggy marley blowing peoples minds wtf dude

After a day full of rather hollow rap performances at a big outdoor arena venue, the Meldoy Makers headlined and as a band finally for the first time that day really filled the space with rich vibrant sound.

I don't know about any of you self-styled reggae purists, but I'll always ride for Ziggy's One Bright Day and Joy & Blues albums.

Also, if you liked getting laid in '96 at all, you liked The Score at least to a certain degree.

HarveyCanal said:

After a day full of rather hollow rap performances at a big outdoor arena venue, the Meldoy Makers headlined and as a band finally for the first time that day really filled the space with rich vibrant sound.

I don't know about any of you self-styled reggae purists, but I'll always ride for Ziggy's One Bright Day and Joy & Blues albums.

Also, if you liked getting laid in '96 at all, you liked The Score at least to a certain degree.

"HarveyCanal bears his corny ass soul and blabs like a true blowhard"

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    if you liked getting laid in '96 at all, you liked The Score at least to a certain degree.
    ^this

The Score, Miseducation and The Carnival ran shit for a few of my formative summers, and while I agree that Carnival hasn't aged so well, I'm kind of shocked people can hate on The Score so hard.

I remember hearing Fu-Gee-La on the radio when I was 16, and calling Hot 97 to find out what it was. I actually sung it to the person answering the phones, and when she hooked me up with the info, I spent the next couple weeks searching HMV and Tower for "The Fugi's".

When I finally figured out the correct spelling, I copped the only Fugees album they had in the store, only to get home and unwrap the hugely disappointing Blunted On Reality. The Score wouldn't drop for another couple weeks, but by the time Ready Or Not hit, no one was misspelling their name anymore.

Sure the covers are little corny and Pras was horrible, but as a producer, Clef was on fire for a minute there, and Lauryn seemed poised to really take over. I guess people were already settling into their "fuck the mainstream, real hip-hop" stance by '96, and I was hitting Fat Beats then too, but Puff and the shiny suits were still a year away. Maybe I was just too young to hate on such a huge record. I still ride.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i really don't understand how anyone rode for the carnival then and especially now.

Pulled from youtube comments...

Wyclef was a major force in Miami when Haitians were ashamed to represent their nationality. I remember being in Miami and people used to lie about being Haitian and when Wyclef came out and represented hard and made it cool to be Haitian then everybody represented. Wyclef deserves a lot of credit for that.

• SIRUS said:
    i really don't understand how anyone rode for the carnival then and especially now.

I completely dismissed The Carnival until I went to visit Haitian relatives that year and the teenagers especially made me love it by showing me how much they loved it. Never went out and picked up my own copy, but whenever I hear it to this day...well let me just say, I don't know what y'all's beef is.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Pulled from youtube comments...

Wyclef was a major force in Miami when Haitians were ashamed to represent their nationality. I remember being in Miami and people used to lie about being Haitian and when Wyclef came out and represented hard and made it cool to be Haitian then everybody represented. Wyclef deserves a lot of credit for that.

Being from one of the most demonized regions and countries of the last 30+ years, I can totally appreciate that this is no small thing....but it doesn't necessarily make for good music (art, etc.).
    Two different things, yea?

I'd say it's definitely an issue of differing preferences in aesthetics, opposed to whether it's good art or not. Again, to me it's indisputable that it's good art. It attained its desired effect amongst its desired audience. In Haitian circles, the song Yele instantly became not just loved, but a standard that is very much still in rotation today. But oh yeah, some random folks on Soul Strut say otherwise...

Unherd said:

I remember hearing Fu-Gee-La on the radio when I was 16, and calling Hot 97 to find out what it was. I actually sung it to the person answering the phones, and when she hooked me up with the info, I spent the next couple weeks searching HMV and Tower for "The Fugi's".

Sure the covers are little corny and Pras was horrible, but as a producer, Clef was on fire for a minute there, and Lauryn seemed poised to really take over. I guess people were already settling into their "fuck the mainstream, real hip-hop" stance by '96, and I was hitting Fat Beats then too, but Puff and the shiny suits were still a year away. Maybe I was just too young to hate on such a huge record. I still ride.

Cool story bro.

First of all - you and HC getting laid in 96 - motherfucking pics or it didn't happen

Second of all - 1996.

lets talk about '96...

bw

1996: "Are the Fu-Gees The Future Of Rock And Roll"

:hated_it:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    lol - no doubt! Had Nu-Mark incorporated Googoosh into Quality Control, it would be at every Iranian wedding to this day.

What Staxwax likes is the only thing anyone is allowed to like ever! World at large, I'm talking to you!!!

and let me follow that up with a big big Wyclef aint done shit for Haiti - and neither did motherfucking scientology or sean penn.

Weve been down this road before but here we go again:

Wyclef Jean's charity, Yele Haiti, is coming under scrutiny again for squandering millions of dollars in charitable donations.

The New York Post reported that the charity took in $16 million from donors in 2010, but only about a third went to fund emergency efforts. The paper also reported that $1 million went to a Florida company called Amisphere Farm Labor, Inc., that doesn't appear to actually exist. The paper said the address listed for Amisphere is an auto body shop in Miami. The paper also said that Amsterly Pierre, the man who is purportedly Amisphere's owner, bought three properties in Florida, including a waterfront condo in an upscale area.

???The Post conveniently fails to acknowledge that the decisions that Yele made were a response to one of the world???s most catastrophic natural disasters in modern history and required an immediate humanitarian response,??? Jean said in a statement. ???We made decisions that enabled us to provide emergency assistance in the midst of chaos and we stand by those decisions.???

Jean also noted that he was no longer part of Yele's active leadership. ???I have acknowledged that Yele has made mistakes in the past, including being late in IRS filings, but that is old news. When I entered politics last summer, I transitioned from being a board member and chairman of Yele Haiti to a supporter. The new and good news is that Yele under new leadership, despite efforts to undermine its credibility and effectiveness, continues its mission to serve people in need.???

Last year, the ex-Fugees rapper mounted an unsuccessful campaign for Haiti's presidency. That electoral bid was dogged by allegations that Jean took money from Yele for his personal use, which he flatly denied. "Have we made mistakes before? Yes," Jean said in a press conference last year. "Did I ever use Yele money for personal benefits? Absolutely not. Yele's books are open and transparent."

Huffington Post: Wyclef Jean's charity squandered money

Wyclef Jean's Yele Haiti Foundation under fiscal scrutiny

Undoubtedly, Jean's celebrity helped draw in donors: He's an internationally known musician from Haiti who won a Grammy with the Fugees and went on to a hugely successful solo career. But an analysis of the charity's tax returns raises questions about how it has spent money in the past, with administrative expenses that appear to be higher than comparable charities and payments to businesses owned by the musician and a board member, including $100,000 for a performance by Jean at a 2006 benefit concert.

"It seems clear that a significant amount of the monies that this charity raises go for costs other than providing benefits to Haitians in need," said Dean Zerbe, national managing director of Alliant Group, a tax services company, and the former tax counsel to the Senate Finance Committee, which oversees charities.

Jean responded to the criticisms Saturday evening via YouTube. In the six-and-a-half-minute clip he says that he has "always been committed to the people of Haiti, I live in that country, I'm Haitian. This is where I come from."
    ad_icon

The concerns were first reported on The Smoking Gun Web site.

"It brings real caution for donors that want to help in Haiti that they might want to take a harder look at this organization but also consider the significant number of charities that have been doing good work in Haiti that don't have these question marks," Zerbe said.

Hugh Locke, president of Yele Haiti, said the charity does what others can't, because Jean gives it unusual access to the country's slums. He said the group hopes to spend a higher percentage of its budget on services as it gains experience. "I think people should be very comfortable that any money given to Yele Haiti is going 100 percent to emergency relief."

The earthquake prompted so much donor interest in Yele Haiti that its Web site crashed Thursday. Yele Haiti also is getting much publicity at events, including a fundraiser Monday at the 9:30 Club and a telethon next Friday hosted by actor George Clooney. It is collecting supplies Sunday in Miami and airlifting them to Port-au-Prince next week, Locke said.

The charity provides scholarships, funds a soccer team, takes students on environmental-education camping trips and employs women to cook for schools, according to Yele Haiti. After a 2008 storm, it helped a food program distribute emergency rations to 6,000 families without violence, Locke said, organizing the community to distribute the food rather than sending in aid workers with armed guards.

But its financial records raise questions, experts say. In 2006, Yele Haiti had about $1 million in revenue, according to tax documents. More than a third of the money went to payments to related parties, said lawyer James Joseph, who specializes in nonprofit issues.

"It might be completely legitimate. But it's certainly something I would want to look into more carefully," Joseph said.

For instance, the charity recorded a payment of $250,000 to Telemax, a TV station and production company in Haiti in which Jean and Jerry Duplessis, both members of Yele Haiti's board of directors, had a controlling interest. The charity paid about $31,000 in rent to Platinum Sound, a Manhattan recording studio owned by Jean and Duplessis. And it spent an additional $100,000 for Jean's performance at a benefit concert in Monaco. Locke said that Jean and Duplessis were unavailable for comment Friday.

The Telemax money was used for "everything from public-service announcements to educational programming," said Jesse Derris of the public relations firm Sunshine, Sachs and Associates, which is representing Yele Haiti. They used their own company "because it was a way to buy time at a significant discount."

The rent included office space and shared receptionist services for the charity and is "severely reduced" below market rate, Derris said. All the proceeds of the benefit concert went directly to Yele Haiti, he said. Locke said the $100,000 included expenses, such as payments to backup musicians and production costs.

Yele Haiti reported nearly $1.9 million in income on its 2008 tax return.

Washington Post: Wyclef Jean's Yele Haiti Foundation under fiscal scrutiny

bw

more laughable assertions of HC's hood pass or his inside pov into ''how Haitians really feel' - take his word for it.

Cite Haitian sources then.

Ill let you speak for haiti Harv - you've got the inside track there. Wyclef took money donated for relief and paid himself $100.000 for a gig in monaco, ran for president in haiti and used donations meant for earthquake victims to invest in a haitian tv station during his bid, go figure.

And you only "care" in order to be "right" on a message board, just because his boom-bap was never boom-bap enough for you. Shit is mad tired.

ill take the liberty to assert my preferences here, just like you harv. Tell me more about how dope Wyclef is, how great ziggy marley is, how much you know about what clef did for haiti and all the pussy you got in 96. fall back dude.

• i never thought id say this, but i miss the part where wyclef was talking.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    The school I'm interning at is like 30% Haitian and those kids have the coolest names.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Do yall party?

The Score as uneven and overrated as it was, had joints. And Carnival did as well.
    Dont front like you muthafuckas were on some strictly hardcore shit, then be talmbout DJ Shadow, Soundbombing, one tracker digger albums and the rest of the skully shit up in here.

And probably be reppin College Dropout. Its the same Bourgie Rap.