Jamaica sounds the alarm over its music.

Comments

• i.e. After 30 years a given style of music is no longer as popular as it once was.

HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ???A new generation of artists is starting to get the confidence and desire and strength to do their thing. That???s a different kind of generation. The words are shorter, not as long, get to the point quickly. You might call it Attention Deficit Disorder.???

b/w

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Jamaica sounds the [strike]alarm[/strike] airhorn over its music.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I LOVE dancehall and reggae, but I haven't heard more than one or two tough dancehall riddims in 4 years.

I used to go to ebreggae, go to the top selling 7"s and just pick out the latest heat and order them. Now I go and all of the top selling singles are reissues of 60s, 70s, 80s, and there are only a handful of '12 tunes on there. And most of them have some sort of dubstep-influenced production, which I can't feel at all.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Where is the tough dancehall these days?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    A bit of a non-story that answers all its own questions, am I right? The biggest stars are in jail, there's a police crackdown on the capital's arguably most popular party area and there is a general overturn happening in music consumption that JA's insular industry is beginning to feel now...

Speaking from Toronto, someone is doing something right somewhere because things seem pretty tough and rammed at the parties - no need for worry there lol
    Not that they're new but Cham, Konshens and Tarrus Riley are putting out good music all the time and with Vybz away, maybe Popcaan can keep rising.

lol at "unorganized music industry"

• bassie said:
    Speaking from Toronto

That's funny I was gonna tell him go to Canada. It always wondered me why Canadians had all the reggae.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    anybody reccomend some new dancehall tunes? i am little dude with no knowledge of teh slackness

Sunfade said:
    bassie said:
    Speaking from Toronto

That's funny I was gonna tell him go to Canada. It always wondered me why Canadians had all the reggae.

It's not all of Canada - Toronto + some other southern Ontario cities have been lucky enough to have large waves of Jamaican immigration. Commonwealth-related.

These are some songs I am liking - I guess I should say they're not all SFW

Where's RossHogg at?

• Sunfade said:
    bassie said:
    Speaking from Toronto

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/89-621-x/89-621-x2007012-eng.htm

• Horseleech said:
    Sunfade said:
    bassie said:
    Speaking from Toronto

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/89-621-x/89-621-x2007012-eng.htm

• In Boston we had the Emerson College 88.9 show "Rockers". Not sure if it's still on. It must be.
    The show was all reggae styles. The inner city of Boston like Roxbury and Dorchester all BUMP reggae.
    More so then any other music.

Maxi Priest!!!

bassie said:
    Sunfade said:
    bassie said:
    Speaking from Toronto

It's not all of Canada - Toronto + some other southern Ontario cities have been lucky enough to have large waves of Jamaican immigration. Commonwealth-related.

See, I like all of these songs you posted, bassie, I guess the problem is that I've been looking for stuff coming out on 45 and 12.

Has this kind of dancehall gone the way of hip hip, in that single vinyl releases have all but disappeared? Ernie B's didn't even have any listings for Potential Kidd.

• I think my favorite one of all time is

Not as good as Maxi but still.

• Love this lately to.

Again, not as good as Maxi Priest but still.

Ziggy Marley!!!

• batmon said:
    Ziggy Marley!!!

bluesnag said:
    bassie said:
    Sunfade said:
    bassie said:
    Speaking from Toronto

See, I like all of these songs you posted, bassie, I guess the problem is that I've been looking for stuff coming out on 45 and 12.

Has this kind of dancehall gone the way of hip hip, in that single vinyl releases have all but disappeared? Ernie B's didn't even have any listings for Potential Kidd.

Basically. Current dancehall vinyl is as far and in-between as current rap vinyl.
    It's funny, in a way, the rest of the world is catching up to the Jamaican music industry (small, cottage industry indie labels with little staff, heavy heavy DIY approach that casts a wide net and runs with whatever rises to the top).

I've never been a big dancehall record buyer, just when something grabs me. It took me a minute, but I finally found this on 45.

And I've been having a hell of a time with these two:

• bluesnag said:
    I LOVE dancehall and reggae, but I haven't heard more than one or two tough dancehall riddims in 4 years.

I used to go to ebreggae, go to the top selling 7"s and just pick out the latest heat and order them. Now I go and all of the top selling singles are reissues of 60s, 70s, 80s, and there are only a handful of '12 tunes on there. And most of them have some sort of dubstep-influenced production, which I can't feel at all.

yes, you are. It's all digital.

Dre Skull has been killing it with his riddims

Also feeling National Pride riddim (which is a few years old, but new to me)

• Been playing these too

Party Vibe

Street Bullies

meistromoco said:
    bluesnag said:

yes, you are. It's all digital.

Well, shit. That is depressing, but at least now I know.

So what websites should I check to keep up with this stuff? Are there dancehall mixtapes recent stuff streaming various places? Where?

Help me out. I've been checking Ernie B's for the last several years wondering where all of the dancehall went. I feel like a clueless old man.

• Well I shouldn't say it is ALL digital, but I think 97% or more of new releases out of Jamaica are. Dancehall outta Europe is more likely to see a vinyl release although I am not sure how it divides up. Mungos Hi Fi / Scotch Bonnet records I think always have vinyl releases, for example.

I don't really keep up with it at all anymore, but I usually buy joints off junodownload.com when I am looking for dancehall. No idea if they get everything though. Probably not.

meistromoco said:
    Well I shouldn't say it is ALL digital, but I think 97% or more of new releases out of Jamaica are. Dancehall outta Europe is more likely to see a vinyl release although I am not sure how it divides up. Mungos Hi Fi / Scotch Bonnet records I think always have vinyl releases, for example.

I don't really keep up with it at all anymore, but I usually buy joints off junodownload.com when I am looking for dancehall. No idea if they get everything though. Probably not.

Thanks for the tip.

Anybody else? Dancehall blogs, streaming mixtapes, or whatever? How do I stay on top of this shit?

• Carnival is always a pretty good barometer of what's popular, and again this year Bashment and the new Electro Bashy sound (Orange Hill Productions; sound systems like Hot Wuk and The HeatWave) were huge. As Bassie said Popcaan is going strong too.

Dancehall has fully digitised and fragmented like a lot of genres in this day and age

Ricky Forcefield said:
    Carnival is always a pretty good barometer of what's popular, and again this year Bashment and the new Electro Bashy sound (Orange Hill Productions; sound systems like Hot Wuk and The HeatWave) were huge. As Bassie said Popcaan is going strong too.

Dancehall has fully digitised and fragmented like a lot of genres in this day and age

Thanks, but what is Carnival? Link?

• bluesnag said:
    Ricky Forcefield said:
    Carnival is always a pretty good barometer of what's popular, and again this year Bashment and the new Electro Bashy sound (Orange Hill Productions; sound systems like Hot Wuk and The HeatWave) were huge. As Bassie said Popcaan is going strong too.

sorry, Notting Hill Carnival.

it's in 'Europe'

bluesnag said:
    Ricky Forcefield said:

• batmon said:
    bluesnag said:
    Ricky Forcefield said:

it's more like this