Who should play Nina Simone?

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
So apparently there's some issues regarding who should play Nina Simone in an upcoming movie:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/movies/should-zoe-saldana-play-nina-simone-some-say-no.html

The director wants Zoe Saldana but the daughter of Nina says that her mother would have wanted Whoopi Goldberg. There were talks about Mary J Blige as well.

Who can the Strut see playing Nina Simone?

Comments

• andre 3000

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

India Arie has the music vibe but i dont know if she can act.

Viola Davis isnt a musician but is an excellent actress.

• Funny, I was just saying to somebody today what a great movie could be made of Nina Simone's life.

Zoe Saldana is a terrible choice.

Whoopi Goldberg? I guess if the movie only focuses on the last ten years of her life.

Viola Davis could work.

• Horseleech said:

Viola Davis could work.

Whoever is gonna play Nina is going to need to possess serious chops.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Horseleech said:

Viola Davis could work.

Whoever is gonna play Nina is going to need to possess serious chops.

Does the actress need to be able to sing?

Ive never seen Ray. Did Jamie Foxx sing all the songs or was he over dubbed?

The thang w/ Nina is that alot of her steez is her talkin' during her sets. Can u capture her shit and still intersperse her attitude on the mic?

• Anika Nona Rose would be good, she can sing and has decent acting chops. If they wanted to go left, I'd say Jill Scott, excellent actress and her interpretations of the songs would be killer. But at this juncture in time we should be glad there's a movie being made about an artist that isn't that broadly known.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i'd rather see a excellent actress play the role than a great singer try to act. viola would murder the role. i think zoe is a good actress but is obviously miscast.

• If L -Boogie wasn't going to the Feds, this would be excellent for her.

oldnewsoul said:
    If L -Boogie wasn't going to the Feds, this would be excellent for her.

NO

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    batmon said:
    Ive never seen Ray.

Speaking about Ray. What about Aunjanue Ellis?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

She isn't a big-enough name, perhaps, but I think Tasha Smith might be a good choice:

I'm unsure if she can sing and she tends to play comedic roles, but she can bring the 'attitude' necessary to properly portray the late, great Ms. Simone. Plus, selfishly, I wouldn't mind watching the comely (grown & sexy) Ms. Smith on-screen for a couple of hours (Jill Scott too).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Please not Queen La or Beyonce. That is all.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Georgia Anne Muldrow She can sing, she can play piano, she looks more like Simone than most other picks

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    bassie said:

Georgia Anne Muldrow She can sing, she can play piano, she looks more like Simone than most other picks

And the winner is...........

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

She isn't a big-enough name, perhaps, but I think Tasha Smith might be a good choice:

I'm unsure if she can sing and she tends to play comedic roles, but she can bring the 'attitude' necessary to properly portray the late, great Ms. Simone. Plus, selfishly, I wouldn't mind watching the comely (grown & sexy) Ms. Smith on-screen for a couple of hours (Jill Scott too).

Good choice.

Tasha is actually an acting coach who just happens to get money doin the "Oh No you didnt" Thang.
    And she at an age where she can play 30 something Nina and latter age Nina w/out tons of Benjamin Buttons Makeup.

Is there a successful bio where the actor did all the singing?

Did Anyone of those folks sing in that Dylan bio?
    Did dude sing in the Jim Morrison one?
    Sissy Spacek in Coal Miner's Daughter?
    Lorez Tate as Lymon?

I think Jason Weaver had some songs in the Jackson's Bio. And there were a ton of studio remakes for the movie.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Cate Blanchett

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I honestly opened this thread to enter into a discussion into whether or not I was allowed to play Nina Simone records.

(I was going to say "probably shouldn't.")

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I was involved in a recent discussion on the subject earlier this month. The initial complaints were that Zoe Saldana wasn't "black enough" which is garbage. My issue with Zoe is she's too pretty. Nina was brash, soulful, and ugly. At least get someone "reminiscent" of Nina. I think India Arie is a good choice, although I don't think she's ugly. Someone in that same discussion suggested Aisha Hinds which would also be a good choice because she's a good actress. Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone is almost as bad casting as Michelle Williams as Marilyn Monroe.

batmon said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Good choice.

Tasha is actually an acting coach who just happens to get money doin the "Oh No you didnt" Thang.
    And she at an age where she can play 30 something Nina and latter age Nina w/out tons of Benjamin Buttons Makeup.

Lorez Tate as Lymon?

I think Jason Weaver had some songs in the Jackson's Bio. And there were a ton of studio remakes for the movie.

Gary Busey did the playing and (I think) the singing in the Buddy Holly Story. He had previously been in a band though (Carp).

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I'm a Zoe Saldana fan. I even paid to see that assembly line revenge flick "Columbiana" and, this past week, "The Words" with some friends. It's a shame that Dominican actors and actresses, for example, have to put up with that "so...what are you?" bullshit. What is it about "black" you don't comprehend? Anyhow, her as Nina Simone?!? She doesn't even have the lips and the brows.

The_Non said:
    I was involved in a recent discussion on the subject earlier this month. The initial complaints were that Zoe Saldana wasn't "black enough" which is garbage. My issue with Zoe is she's too pretty. Nina was brash, soulful, and ugly. At least get someone "reminiscent" of Nina. I think India Arie is a good choice, although I don't think she's ugly. Someone in that same discussion suggested Aisha Hinds which would also be a good choice because she's a good actress. Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone is almost as bad casting as Michelle Williams as Marilyn Monroe.

I see movie makers getting someone who is slightly glamourous/photogenic to sell the story.

Folks who arent familiar with Simone are gonna be drawn to a fam name and a pretty face.

And i understand the Zoe not Black enuff critque.
    Getting beyond the her Dark Latina looks i have yet to see her portray a character that embodies Jim Crow or Civl Rights Era Black Folk.
    She always on some Quasi Black shit opposite White boys. Even Columbiana had her with a white kid.
    She can act but there are better African American actresses out there that have street cred and match the vibe better ..IMO.

batmon said:
    The_Non said:

I see movie makers getting someone who is slightly glamourous/photogenic to sell the story.

Folks who arent familiar with Simone are gonna be drawn to a fam name and a pretty face.

Getting beyond the her Dark Latina looks i have yet to see her portray a character that embodies Jim Crow or Civl Rights Era Black Folk.
    She always on some Quasi Black shit opposite White boys. Even Columbiana had her with a white kid.
    She can act but there are better African American actresses out there that have street cred and match the vibe better ..IMO.
    I hear that too, but the conversation had undertones of "afrolatino not black enough" sorta thing, which is bullshit. As to the critique, which was raised in that same debate, about the 18-24 yo males going to the theatre, I just don't see young foos going to see this anyway.

The_Non said:
    batmon said:
    The_Non said:

I hear that too, but the conversation had undertones of "afrolatino not black enough" sorta thing, which is bullshit. As to the critique, which was raised in that same debate, about the 18-24 yo males going to the theatre, I just don't see young foos going to see this anyway.

Kids (Boys and they dates) are going to the movies regardless, but will u get the wide cross demographic that a DreamGirls have with Nina being portrayed by Black actress w/out a dedicated Black audience? Her cute doesnt translate.
    It took Thandie Newton a while to get past playing opposite white dudes (Halle Berry fetishizied Negro cutie)and get two Tyler Perry projects playing a street girl and and a cleaning lady to get with the Black game.
    I like me some Zoe but imo deosnt have the "look", the acting chops, or the cultural congruity to pull this off.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Danai Gurira

- spidey

• I thought the issue was less who's playing her and more the fact that they're butchering her life story?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    paddlissimo said:
    I thought the issue was less who's playing her and more the fact that they're butchering her life story?

No, complaints about them butchering the story usually come after they've made the movie. At least, they do if they're from people who want their complaints to be taken seriously.

But right now, the issue seems to be whether or not Zoe Saldana should be turning down work on GP because of her skintone. I understand (up to a point) why this kind of thing is a delicate issue for a lot of folks, but equally it's a little like complaining about ice-cream being cold. It's a Hollywood bio-pic, after all, and it's unlikely to be realistic in any meaningful sense no matter who's cast in the lead.

At the same time, I wonder if she's sat there thinking, "OK, where were all these motherfuckers talking about positive representation when the only gig I could get in a big-budget studio production was as a ten-foot CGI alien?"

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The_Non said:
    batmon said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Good choice.

Lorez Tate as Lymon?

Gary Busey did the playing and (I think) the singing in the Buddy Holly Story. He had previously been in a band though (Carp).

Busey did indeed sing and play guitar in The Buddy Holly Story. And Sissy Spacek, who made records before and during her acting career, sang in Coal Miner's Daughter.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    At the same time, I wonder if she's sat there thinking, "OK, where were all these motherfuckers talking about positive representation when the only gig I could get in a big-budget studio production was as a ten-foot CGI alien?"

That was a massive diss to all 10ft blue-skinned jobbing actors, too. "What am I? Too tall? Too blue?" [toothkiss]

But the answer to our conundrum lies within: Saldana getting the Simone gig and rendered Black Enough For You??? via the magic of CGI.