Soul Strut 100: # 52 - Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I've seen recently issued 45's with PB instrumentals on them, like this one...

• It should be noted that this record broke open the '70s revival of the '90s. That shit was so uncool until this record, only band I knew that heavy into it was Redd Kross, who were in another musical universe. When Hurricane scratched into "Stayin' Alive" on the Licensed to Ill tour, well, it was some shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Plantweed said:
    It should be noted that this record broke open the '70s revival of the '90s. That shit was so uncool until this record, only band I knew that heavy into it was Redd Kross, who were in another musical universe. When Hurricane scratched into "Stayin' Alive" on the Licensed to Ill tour, well, it was some shit.

Funk samples of the '87-89 Hip Hop was already bubblin' before Paul's Boutique.
    Im Gonna Get You Sucka was a 70's homage in 1988.

So maybe it wasnt cool with your community or crowd till after PB.

latte Pas

• I'm talking about the wider culture, not necessarily just a music genre.

Plantweed said:
    I'm talking about the wider culture, not necessarily just a music genre.

The Wayans arent musicians.

• Yes, Gonna Get You Sucka set the world on fire.

Plantweed said:
    Yes, Gonna Get You Sucka set the world on fire.

Paul''s Boutique sure didnt.

• Said the guy in a thread about top 100 albums.

Which Wayan was on Inside the Actors' Studio?

• I think he's got a point. You said it set it off, but it's widely acknowledge that nobody listened to it when it came out.

Looking back its a big record, but it was crickets when it dropped.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    yeah people did it before, but to me, the people who owned the 70's/90's revival were dre and snoop

There is no ONE event that led to the revival.
    There has always been the twenty year gap with decade revivals.

Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians brought that shit to the table in 88.

To say Pauls boutique is that moment is fan-tawk.

Black folks have never let go of the 70s. And it apparent with Hip Hop, Movies,and Radio that continued playing 70s shit throughout the 80s and 90.Neo Soul (mid-90s)was built on the 70s vibe.

At the same time PB was out DJ Hurricane had the Afros group.

Plantweed said:
    Said the guy in a thread about top 100 albums.

Which Wayan was on Inside the Actors' Studio?

Dude its Top 100 Soulstrut Albums which is not an example of the "wider" audience.

When PB came out no one was rockin that shit at any of the campus parties i went to.
    Hey Ladies was the only joint that got some burn.

And i wont waste my time explaining Im Gonna Get U Suckas Popularity.

• opaque plastic tape...several colors; as with the Purple Tape, it stands out in the deck AND on the shelf.

a great album.

• skullsnaps said:
    Really just an amazing LP and will never be equaled in terms of samples (cause it would be to damn expensive).

The ultimate of the genre in my books. What I love about it too is it forced them to create Check Your Head.

As for the instro tape :zooted:

• Found it
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11963014@N06/7934207106/in/photostream
    Now I have to dig out my tape deck and burn it etc.....don't start salivating, this could take a minute( or a few weeks)
    In the meanwhile, waste some time checking out my funk & soul blog www.funksoul.tumblr.com , you might find a record or two that you like.

• kala said:
    soup said:
    skullsnaps said:
    Were there never instrumentals of Paul's Boutique released?

http://www.mediafire.com/?as3b340z0yw0z72
    :beerbang:
    thanks

Thanksfor posting this. I dug up an old thread from the DWG board where they mention this going for $1000 on ebay. A six record set? A great listen so thanks again.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    skullsnaps said:

I'm not sure how much was Dust Brothers, how much was Beasties, but the Dust Bros. had strong record knowledge and a good vinyl collection. It's my opinion (I wasn't there for the making of the record), that the Dust Brothers were responsible for the majority of the music. I think the experience with the Dust Brothers expanded the Boys musical knowledge and moving forward they took over the lions share of their sound.

The Dust Brothers seem to have had a similar effect on Beck when you listen to his music pre and post Odelay. Super talented guys.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    skullsnaps said:
    Found it
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11963014@N06/7934207106/in/photostream
    Now I have to dig out my tape deck and burn it etc.....don't start salivating, this could take a minute( or a few weeks)
    In the meanwhile, waste some time checking out my funk & soul blog www.funksoul.tumblr.com , you might find a record or two that you like.

your title should be changed from smooth jazz to strut master. thanks for sharing all of this!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Oh man, "Paul's Boutique"!!! This one of my all-time favorite hip-hop LPs, and in a word, a game-changing work. These White dudes, and let's be honest, the brothas used to front on our 'lighter-hued' brethren all the time, came with the REAL SCHITT (where ya at, Phill?). Ad Rock, MCA, and Mike D did their thing over the ridiculous productions on this joint. The Dust Brothers had us 'brothas' scratchin' our heads as far as what they were sampling. Personally, this LP had a big influence on my production (the multi-tracking was insane!) and collecting as well. My joints are "Shake Your Rump", "Hey Ladies", and "Stop that Train." I'm so glad this LP was included as part of the Soul Strut 100. It's well deserved.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Mr. Attention said:
    skullsnaps said:

They must have sampled dozens records from me, and to be honest, I don't even remember what most of them were any more. For sure they sampled a Bo Diddley beat, I think it was "Go For Broke", from me, and Los Angeles Negros, "El Rey Y Yo", which they ended up using some of the singing from on Hello Nasty. I used to just show up when they were recording in NY and bring a gang of records from my collection with breaks and let them sample whatever they wanted. My reward was being name checked by Yauch in the song "Flute Loop", something that is bittersweet now that he passed away.

What an honor! That's amazing. The "Go for Broke" break is classic, and that Los Angeles Negros interlude from 'Hello Nasty' is one of my favorite moments from the entire record. Thanks for sharing with us and, especially, with them. (I guess you're Perlman??)

That is awesome! Los Angeles Negros is my favorite part on HL, lol.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Soul Strut 100 Vindicated.

A One tracker Braek joint w/ 12 replies cant be next.

• I remember when the Love American Style EP came out. And was not sleeping at time on Paul's Boutique like the vast majority of the White suburban kids that have moved to West Coast Gangsta artist around that time. Alot of kids rocking all Raiders gear in school and shit.

But those instrumentals on there man BLEW ME AWAY when I finally hear at my dude Nick's house up in Cambridge.

Then I heard the Shadrach Instros on that rare shadrach 12" that was out. I knew one dude who had it back then.
    And I realized I needed a Dust Brothers instrumental album.

Because I also remember wanting to jack beats off it at the time. Because no one in my town knew it. Only my older cousin and his frieds were playing it in Cambridge. i grew up like 30 minutes south in the burbs.

Sunfade said:
    Then I heard the Shadrach Instros on that rare shadrach 12" that was out. I knew one dude who had it back then.

Shadrach 12" is RAER?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• batmon said:
    Sunfade said:

Shadrach 12" is RAER?

When it was released it was. Still pretty reer deez dayz doe.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    love this album, was pretty massive with skateboarders when it dropped which is how i encountered it.

• Here's how I feel about the Beasties

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    someone re-up that instrumentals mediafire link??

• Mr. Attention said:
    skullsnaps said:

They must have sampled dozens records from me, and to be honest, I don't even remember what most of them were any more. For sure they sampled a Bo Diddley beat, I think it was "Go For Broke", from me, and Los Angeles Negros, "El Rey Y Yo", which they ended up using some of the singing from on Hello Nasty. I used to just show up when they were recording in NY and bring a gang of records from my collection with breaks and let them sample whatever they wanted. My reward was being name checked by Yauch in the song "Flute Loop", something that is bittersweet now that he passed away.

What an honor! That's amazing. The "Go for Broke" break is classic, and that Los Angeles Negros interlude from 'Hello Nasty' is one of my favorite moments from the entire record. Thanks for sharing with us and, especially, with them. (I guess you're Perlman??)

Yup, Perlman's got beats and it ain't no secret. Well, I guess it's not a secret anymore