TRAP + EDM = ? (CERTIFIED TRAP-R)

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
I'm too old to have a legitimate opinion on this subject. I leave it to you to DISCUSS.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    soulmarcosa said:
    I'm too old to have a legitimate opinion on this subject. I leave it to you to DISCUSS.

i was under the impression the "trap" referred to abandoned motels in atlanta and college park, where dudes moved product. they often had only on way in and out, so they called them traps.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    TARP

Paging Morse Code...

b/w

UZI's schitt is dope.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    bees in the tarp

• jesus i must be out of touch, because after 6 minutes i still have no clue what they are talking about.....

• I can't bring myself to sit through this. Sorry, but this video is corny and so are people who are suddenly all TRAP THIS TRAP THAT. Same types who would punctuate everything with the word SWAG.

I'm old.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    empanadamn said:
    people who are suddenly all TRAP THIS TRAP THAT

Hey, bro. check out my new trap mix

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/74508/

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    looks exciting & fresh, it's poppin up in many a peaktime / high bpm playlist

how did juke go down the us clubs ?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I don't get why there is a video on this. This isn't the first time rap, dance, 'hood' and club music have come together. Only a couple of years ago we had Baltimore house (USA) and Grime (UK) doing the exact same thing. Prior to that there was Hip-house, Jungle and Miami bass just to name a few.

The term EDM is what annoys me the most though! Why do we need to group all electronic music into one big ugly lump??!

• I kinda miss the days when I couldn't play more than 2-3 trap songs in a row without increasing the risk of a fight breaking out.

TRAP MUSIC = FIGHT MUSIC.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    phatmoneysack said:

The term EDM is what annoys me the most though! Why do we need to group all electronic music into one big ugly lump??!

Because there are about three million sub-genres.
    At some point you have package them up to make it manageable.
    Doomcore was a good one.

Actually, let's rechristen the whole thing as 'big ugly lump' music.
    BULM.
    Yes.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    phatmoneysack said:
    I don't get why there is a video on this. This isn't the first time rap, dance, 'hood' and club music have come together. Only a couple of years ago we had Baltimore house (USA) and Grime (UK) doing the exact same thing. Prior to that there was Hip-house, Jungle and Miami bass just to name a few.
    Trap isn't a coming together. It's hood. I just hope the EDM dudes don't go and make hood music uncool. I guess there's still hope as long as Black people continue to make the music for themselves.

• Herm said:
    I kinda miss the days when I couldn't play more than 2-3 trap songs in a row without increasing the risk of a fight breaking out.

You sound like a club manager.

I blame packing a bunch of drunk people into a room.

Reynaldo said:
    I guess there's still hope as long as Black people continue to make the music for themselves.

Too late!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    On one hand, it's always good to see young people enjoying themselves, and I'm all for anything that reminds people of hip-hop's origins as party music.

On the other, the only real issue I have is the same one I had with "trip-hop" - above and beyond the usual dilettantes and cultural tourists that always tend to congregate around this sort of thing, there's a certain section of the audience that feels much more comfortable with it when the more idiomatically "black" elements (i.e., the rappers) are either de-emphasised or shunted out of the picture altogether.

• empanadamn said:
    Herm said:
    I kinda miss the days when I couldn't play more than 2-3 trap songs in a row without increasing the risk of a fight breaking out.

You sound like a club manager.

What I meant by that is:

TRAP MUSIC should always = FIGHT MUSIC.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Even WARP are putting out this kinda stuff. I'm kinda shocked this is news to some. (but not really)

I imagine if I was a teenager I would happily 'go mental' to this in a club, or what ever the yout say these days. Although I find a lot of the MadDecent stuff a little too fullretard for my liking. And that video was some pretty cornball promotional shit tbh. bitch even used the phrase "moving forward".

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Okem said:
    Even WARP are putting out this kinda stuff. I'm kinda shocked this is news to some. (but not really)

I imagine if I was a teenager I would happily 'go mental' to this in a club, or what ever the yout say these days. Although I find a lot of the MadDecent stuff a little too fullretard for my liking. And that video was some pretty cornball promotional shit tbh. bitch even used the phrase "moving forward".

You shouldn't be. TNGHT are great and Hudson Mohawke has been on the label for long enough to be given license to do this, and I think it has been done well. Mind you I didn't realize TNGHT were classified as "TRAP" until a couple of weeks ago, i just though it was good bass music.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    So Lex Luger re-popularised what Shawty Redd was doing in the mid 00s and now it's huge with white people?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    magpaul said:
    So Lex Luger re-popularised what Shawty Redd was doing in the mid 00s and now it's huge with white people?

Pretty much, yes.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Admiral Ackbar.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    3 years tops then Milk Carton

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Let me know when they top this...

Isolationism
    Lowercase
    Darkstep
    Folktronica
    Laptronica
    Skweee
    Doomcore
    Hardbag
    Cybergrind
    Aggrotech
    Japanoise
    Witch House
    Symphonic Techno
    Grindie
    Nintendocore
    Bleep

Ah yes indeed.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    skel said:

Witch House

+

Yea!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    magpaul said:
    So Lex Luger re-popularised what Shawty Redd was doing in the mid 00s and now it's huge with white people who don't like rapp?

bassie said:
    skel said:

Witch House

+

Yea!

Paging Mr Beatnick!

• I don't know why or how "EDM"(bullshit term imo) and trap were just lumped together in the same thread.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Mannie Fresh, among others, had been doing EDM-styled "trap" music since like '98.

But of course, ignore the actual black guy pioneer so that white dudes can pretend that they are doing something never done before.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Mannie Fresh, among others, had been doing EDM-styled "trap" music since like '98.

But of course, ignore the actual black guy pioneer so that white dudes can pretend that they are doing something never done before.
    half of tnght is black tho?!??!