TRAP + EDM = ? (CERTIFIED TRAP-R)

2»

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Mannie Fresh, among others, had been doing EDM-styled "trap" music since like '98.

But of course, ignore the actual black guy pioneer so that white dudes can pretend that they are doing something never done before.
    half of tnght is black tho?!??!

So what? If he's calling his shit "EDM", he's coming from a white perspective, pulling a typically white antic of false ownership.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Mannie Fresh, among others, had been doing EDM-styled "trap" music since like '98.

But of course, ignore the actual black guy pioneer so that white dudes can pretend that they are doing something never done before.

So what? If he's calling his shit "EDM", he's coming from a white perspective, pulling a typically white antic of false ownership.
    i dont think he calls his stuff edm

Whatever, nothing new is being done with this, and whether the person doing so is black, white, or purple, putting it out there like it is new is the stuff of idiocy.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    More pressingly, what the hell is wrong with using vowels in your name?

I don't know jack about TNGHT, but Lunice is decent. His remix of the XV song turned around an otherwise boring dud of song nicely imo

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    HarveyCanal said:

So what? If he's calling his shit "EDM", he's coming from a North American perspective

Fixed.

Still none the wiser about what makes something 'Trap'.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Whatever, nothing new is being done with this, and whether the person doing so is black, white, or purple, putting it out there like it is new is the stuff of idiocy.

BOOM!

Also, have we had a Mannie Fresh Appreciation Thread yet? If not, why the fuck not?

Trap music came out of Atlanta mostly and is basically dudes like TI or Jeezy rapping about street-level drug dealing over minimalist, mostly electronic-oriented beats.

This came out in 2003...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    bassie said:
    More pressingly, what the hell is wrong with using vowels in your name?

I don't know jack about TNGHT, but Lunice is decent. His remix of the XV song turned around an otherwise boring dud of song nicely imo

Kid has some moves.

TNGHT is Lunice & Hudson Mohawk (who those keen on racial information will be keen to know is a nerdy white dude from Scotland) he's a producer and talented dj, he made it to the UK DMC finals at age 15. He has produced for rappers in the past but he's definitely more on the EDM side of things. S dfntly nt trp, bt hvly nflncd by t. Don't know what the vowel thing is about. I blame flickr.

At teh risk of sounding like a disconnected caucasian, the trap is in reference to the lifestyle? Trapped in the dirty world of drug dealing, pimp-strutting, multiple weekly haircuts and the like?

Mind = blown.

• Duderonomy said:
    Admiral Ackbar.

this right here just straight up set it off.

i have half a mind to release 4 mixtapes under that nom de plume, with full credits being given to the one duderonomy

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    At teh risk of sounding like a disconnected caucasian, the trap is in reference to the lifestyle?

The place.
    Not sure if it's a regional difference, but both/either a dwelling/house where it gets cooked, stored and dealt or the wider block/complex/area where it gets sold.

Correct as required.

Duderonomy said:
    At teh risk of sounding like a disconnected caucasian, the trap is in reference to the lifestyle? Trapped in the dirty world of drug dealing, pimp-strutting, multiple weekly haircuts and the like?

Mind = blown.

Yes, it has become a lifestyle, I suppose. But the trap is literally the place where you sell your drugs, like Tom mentioned in the first reply to this thread.

vintageinfants said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Admiral Ackbar.

this right here just straight up set it off.

i have half a mind to release 4 mixtapes under that nom de plume, with full credits being given to the one duderonomy

Go with Admirable Ackbar.

EDIT: trap = place. Ahhhh. Cool, makes sense. Now I'm on some New Jack City vibes with that entire block they took over for producing crack. Was it that film with the conversation in the open-top jeep about "...the bitches, the bitches will do ANYTHING for this sh*t!". As a kid, I thought that was hilarious for some reason.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Okem said:

S dfntly nt trp, bt hvly nflncd by t. Don't know what the vowel thing is about. I blame flickr.

Come on dudes. The essence of electronically stored media is to store only enough bits of info to foll the consumer into hearing or seeing a de facto analogue experience.
    Take the word 'tonight'.
    Eradicate that which is not required to sufficiently rep the word in yo brain. In this case, the consonants.
    Voila.

Sampling and ersatz electronic data compression as the perfect cipher for HULM.

Carry on.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

Mind = blown.
    If you wanted to know what a trap house is but don't fancy the hassle of drug dealing or the long haul of a troublesome crack addiction, you could watch this doc -

• the white guy in flosstradamus looks like Jerry Horne from twin peaks.

From 2005...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    THE OG:

SIRUS said:
    THE OG:

Shoot, if Jim Brown could clean up Richard Pryor, he could clean up anyone.