Neither Nice nor Smooth.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central

Though lay Greg Nice's acapella over a Primo beat and/or Beatnuts loop and all hope will be restored.

*Edit: Or a Cosmo Baker track.

ALL THINGS SOULSTRUT-RELATED.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I like it but they need a stylist and grooming.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    They need a better beat, a better chorus and most importantly a better backdrop than the damn Supra store.

And maybe a couple towels for Greg Nice's neck.

i would dance to it if i was tipsy at the bar.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Was thinking earlier today how I wish I had a mini Greg Nice to sit on my shoulder and yell in my ear as motivation. Been playing the Beatnuts "Turn it Out" on repeat for some reason. However this video tho is cringe worthy.

• Ha ha, his neck is real sweaty.

Pretty bad song, but I'm kind of digging Greg Nice's commitment to the choreo and his general smiley demeanor.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    YNOT said:
    Was thinking earlier today how I wish I had a mini Greg Nice to sit on my shoulder and yell in my ear as motivation.

YES! In fact I'd like Nice on one and Smooth on the other. We have people in "the business" on here - someone get that pitch together.

I like this, it's a winning mix which manages to sound throwback and modern at the same time. I'd say it's up there for the least cringe worthy return by a rap group for a long time.

• its not thaaat bad. i could listen to it
    i mean their rhymes were never of the shakesperean variety.

someone should have handled sweatneck though. but maybe they were going for that?
    and what happened to the echo on greg nice's voice? critical element missing right there.

and smoothe b needs some sleep. unless his makeup person drew those big ass bags under his eyes, dude is looking a little aged.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Herm said:
    They need a better beat, a better chorus, better rapping, more Jacksons, less Washingtons, more Greg Nice yelling and most importantly a better backdrop than the damn Supra store.

And maybe a couple towels for Greg Nice's neck.

Party Rap shouldnt be too complex.

batmon said:
    Agreed, but they just look old and desperate

The_Non said:
    batmon said:

Yeah.

Like i said before. If they had some budget money they could have edited the video a little better but still keeping it dirty.

Make-up and stylists but still keep it DYI.

It looks like dudes showed up and put on a t-shirt and and hat they had at the shop.

I wish Old Rappers would get the same pass that older Rockers, Jazz Folks, and other genre's get.

Muthfuckas will go see Sonic Youth and shit, but will critique the hell out of a 45 year old "trying to stay relevant" MC.

The days of Rap killlin' off their Old is some 90's shit. The game aint the same any more. The League is gone.
    Record sales, videos and 5 radio shows arent the only gauge these days.

• All I'm gonna say is..
    This song would have been solid fucking gold if they had only added the CLASSIC NICE AND SMOOTH VOCAL DELAY.

CMON SON, how the fuck is the engineer not gonna put that in???!!! This track was made for that. Would have been slammin.

damn.

Greg's my dude though, gonna give him shit for the sweaty neck next time i hang with him.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:

I wish Old Rappers would get the same pass that older Rockers, Jazz Folks, and other genre's get.

Muthfuckas will go see Sonic Youth and shit, but will critique the hell out of a 45 year old "trying to stay relevant" MC.

batmon said:
    The_Non said:
    batmon said:

Yeah.

Like i said before. If they had some budget money they could have edited the video a little better but still keeping it dirty.

It looks like dudes showed up and put on a t-shirt and and hat they had at the shop.

The days of Rap killlin' off their Old is some 90's shit. The game aint the same any more. The League is gone.

Have you seen the vid with that LOTUG dude talking about why is there no "Adult Contemporary Rapz?" I gotta agree with him IF (if) dudes were making good GOOD songs. The song woulda been WAYYYYYYYYY better with the repeater style like Thes said.

The_Non said:
    batmon said:
    The_Non said:
    batmon said:

Yeah.

Have you seen the vid with that LOTUG dude talking about why is there no "Adult Contemporary Rapz?" I gotta agree with him IF (if) dudes were making good GOOD songs. The song woulda been WAYYYYYYYYY better with the repeater style like Thes said.

But you dont judge Adult Contemporary ____________insert Genre like you do the new shit.
    You dont expect the newest Anita Baker release to have the same steez as the newest Alicia Keys.

But in Hip Hop folks will ask the 45 year old to sound like the 18 year old? I dont get it.
    And the 18 year old gets a pass for having a mediocre album with one You tube Classic.

Bill Bixby Fridays.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    batmon said:

But you dont judge Adult Contemporary ____________insert Genre like you do the new shit.
    You dont expect the newest Anita Baker release to have the same steez as the newest Alicia Keys.

But in Hip Hop folks will ask the 45 year old to sound like the 18 year old? I dont get it.
    And the 18 year old gets a pass for having a mediocre album with one You tube Classic.

This deserves its own thread.

day said:
    batmon said:

This deserves its own thread.

I agree
    LET'S GO

I copped the latest Kool Keith. Its got some shit its got some doo-doo.

He does his thang. Lets some youngins get on. It is what it is.

The NIce & Smooth isnt straight garbage. I dont know if they have a full album in them unless the have some good help.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I am so glad I met Greg Nice.

Lives up to his name.

I think what bugs me most about this song is the lack of their winning formula on it. It lacks energy. I know they old, but I need some hollerin.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Are these guys older than Ghostface, Raekwon, Kool G Rap and Bun B? Because I got no problems with the stuff their decrepit asses are putting out.

batmon said:

Ummm...this song IS some 45 year olds trying to sound like an 18 year old. That's why it fails, in my opinion. Quit trying to compete with or chase after some teenage sh*t. That's like those 30/40 something ladies gettin' their titties done and Botoxing trying to look sexy for their daughters friends. It's not sexy. Age gracefully.

That said, the beat and chorus is what really kills this for me. (The delay too.) Over another type of beat, this would be classic Nice & Smooth.

And plenty of GOOD Adult Contemporary Rap being made right now. Problem is, most grown heads consider it corny and would rather get amped off Gunplay or some sh*t. Speaking of which, is Busta still rhyming about how many drugs he's sold? Yaaaawn...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Herm said:
    Problem is, most grown heads consider it corny and would rather get amped off Gunplay or some sh*t.

It's a problem for who?
    Would rather get amped or just do?

I'm not winning any popularity contests or gift baskets with the rap I like. If I like it, I like it. Believe it or not, lots of people don't have anything to prove, they just like music they do.

Herm said:
    batmon said:

Ummm...this song IS some 45 year olds trying to sound like an 18 year old. That's why it fails, in my opinion. Quit trying to compete with or chase after some teenage sh*t. That's like those 30/40 something ladies gettin' their titties done and Botoxing trying to look sexy for their daughters friends. It's not sexy. Age gracefully.

That said, the beat and chorus is what really kills this for me. (The delay too.) Over another type of beat, this would be classic Nice & Smooth.

And plenty of GOOD Adult Contemporary Rap being made right now. Problem is, most grown heads consider it corny and would rather get amped off Gunplay or some sh*t. Speaking of which, is Busta still rhyming about how many drugs he's sold? Yaaaawn...

Arent u the same dude that said its ok to be 40 something up in club....who cares type shit?

Nice &Smooth; sound like themselves over a comtemporty-ish beat. I dont see the violation?

batmon said:
    Herm said:
    batmon said:

Arent u the same dude that said its ok to be 40 something up in club....who cares type shit?

Nice &Smooth; sound like themselves over a comtemporty-ish beat. I dont see the violation?

I don't remember saying that, but I do see LOTS of 40-somethings up in the club these days. (I'm 38 but my excuse is I'm working/DJing. Outside of that, I'm never in the club.)

Anyways, it's not really a violation of any "sacred" Hip Hop rule. It's just not that good. I mean, you'd only dance to it if you were tipsy, no? This just seems to me like they're trying too hard. I've heard plenty older rappers sound damn good over a contemporary-ish beat, like the aforementioned Ghostface, Raekwon and Bun B (who I'm pretty sure has been spitting the same exact verse for the past 4-5 years now, but that's a whole 'nother story).

Herm said:
    This just seems to me like they're trying too hard.

To me they sound quite lazy compared to their earlier days, but the the beat is "new".

Trying too hard? Just say its wack.

batmon said:
    Herm said:

To me they sound quite lazy compared to their earlier days, but the the beat is "new".

That's a powerful word to me. I don't use it loosely, 'specially when it comes to legends.

Herm said:
    batmon said:
    Herm said:

That's a powerful word to me. I don't use it loosely, 'specially when it comes to legends.

I hear ya.

Lets take it over to the AC Rap thread.

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    I'm feeling it for what it is: a club jam with a limited lifespan, nothing more nothing less

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    They shouldn't have bothered.