Soul Strut 100: # 53 - Dorothy Ashby - Afro Harping

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2018 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 53 - Dorothy Ashby - Afro Harping

About

Afro Harping was arranged by producer Richard Evans (see also Groovin??? With The Soulful Strings ) and recorded by Ashby with unknown musicians for Cadet Records in 1968. As an example of Ashby???s talents as the undisputed master of the jazz harp (the stringed instrument, by the way, not the harmonica), it is not ideal; her earlier straight-jazz records make a better case for her instrument in improvised music. But as a groove-heavy slice of late-'60s lounge, it???s unbeatable. Actually, there are two styles on the album: a heavy funk, psychedelic groove showcased on the two side-openers, ???Soul Vibrations??? and ???Afro-Harping???; and a genial, insinuating pop-jazz feel with more extensive displays of harp prowess. Both are lightweight and certain to garner the derision of jazz purists, but those with open ears will enjoy the record as a cheesy but delightfully fun artifact of a less self-conscious time.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=12526#.UDeTMGD8_W8

Media

Comments

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Love this record.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Oh hell yes. This was definitely a seminal album that played a big part in kicking off record collecting for me. Pretty sure I discovered it for myself right after Aceyalone's Book of Human Language came out in the 10th grade. My dad had it. Top notch in my book! Eastern afro soul jazz vibes all day. 

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Richard Evans > David Axelrod?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Yes.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    all around incredible record...perfect gateway to jazz for the non-initiated
    can't play this and not get a reaction
    when you are starting out and you get this LP you get why you started record collecting

• Pulled a copy in northern California at some spot. Went up front to pay for it and dude said it was too scratched and gave it to me for free. Plays fine to me.

Great record. I got amped off of the mumbles and Pete Rock samples, but the whole thing is a great listen.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    A great record, for sure, though I personally prefer "The Rubaiyat Of" over it.

I was very pleased to find a copy in VG+/VG+ at a used bookstore for $2.99 about 7 years ago.

Kindly,
    parallax

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Who voted for this shit to be #53?

7 responses?

Shouldn't the responses get higher as we go deeper?

• The Chronic post really made things clear for me. The more boner-centric posts will get a few responses, but the bones that are across the board bangers will get the most replies. There needs to be some attachment/nostalgia going on and not everyone has a connection to some of these records. But as you pointed out, how'd they get so high on the list?

It could also be that the list is losing some steam just because of the sheer volume of it. Or that the people who voted aren't here anymore.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    The Chronic post really made things clear for me. The more boner-centric posts will get a few responses, but the bones that are across the board bangers will get the most replies. There needs to be some attachment/nostalgia going on and not everyone has a connection to some of these records. But as you pointed out, how'd they get so high on the list?

It could also be that the list is losing some steam just because of the sheer volume of it. Or that the people who voted aren't here anymore.

Soul Strut is dying a slow death. Booooooo!

• Maybe, but it doesn't have to. Unfortunately all the talk about whether it is or isn't kind of acts like a poison. Even if it's not, those thoughts are planted and the grumpy Guses will pour their Costco size Lowry's all over the place.

More ishes, more beatoffs. This place still has lots of juice. I just wish some of the big dudes of yore would pop in, but I get it that people move on. And it's been a good run, so even if it dies it was still huge.

This place ruined my life!

And back to Dorothy...

This record is a nice listen. Beats. Wacky stuff. Funky harp.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Great record. Some records dont need multiple pages of discussion. Let the list breathe.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    edpowers said:
    Great record. Some records dont need multiple pages of discussion. Let the list breathe.

I agree. My burned CD of this got plenty listens at night time in college...

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    edpowers said:

agree.

i suppose the rubaiyat will be higher on the list, then?

• We're getting to the desert island section of this list! I think 'Rubaiyat' is a more interesting listen, but this record is pure satisfaction from start to finish.

• Just picked up the re-ish of this to see what all the fuss was about. Not knowing what to expect, I was very pleasantly surprised by how good the album is throughout. My ears perked up when "Come Live With Me" began--I knew that intro from somewhere. Took me awhile to figure it out, but I think it was used pretty effectively here: