Bones Brigade: An Autobiography (Sk8 doc)

empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central

I anticipate watching this on the edge of my seat, hair raised!

List your favorites from Powell Peralta.

For me they were Ray Barbee and Tommy Guerrero in street and Steve Cabellero on vert. Of course Tony Hawk is up there, but as they say he's the Michael Jordan of skating, so you can't deny his skills.

Video wise, first watching any of their videos blew my mind as a kid! I was especially a fan of Public Domain and Ban This. I really liked Ray Barbee's slow-motion captures, and also the part with the ams (at the time) Paolo Diaz, Rudy Johnson, Gabriel Rodriguez, and Guy Mariano sessioning through the streets of LA.

Comments

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Nice one, thanks for sharing

• when is this out?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Can't wait to see this.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Saw them in London in '89. There isn't a BB member not to like. Awesome.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Can't wait to see this.

• I used to skate with Jesse Martinez. e was a short lived BB member. He got a little too crazy for their sterile, corporate image.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Haha
    I vote Jesse too
    He threatened to stab peralta back on the day
    Total venice vato loco

• Looks great. I was all about the BB as a kid. That Tony Hawk graphic was the coolest thing ever. Only thing cooler was the Powell peralta skeleton ripping out of the hawk eye socket. There used to be a book cover (purchase and wrap your textbook in it) that had a picture of a hawk board with that sticker coming out of the eye.

I used to rent Animal Chin all the time from the video store.

When I finished college, ON Video Magazine used one of my songs for a Rodney Mullen retrospective, which was a total trip for me. I never would have imagined that as a kid.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    my homeboy in oklahoma had a jesse martinez board, so he was pretty much the first dude (aside from hawk) that i really dug. but mullen was amazing to me. some hate on his style, but that schitt just blew my mind....manuals for days.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    All OG Bones Brigade members are tied for first place. Bones Brigade Video Show, Future Primitive, Animal Chin--same thing. Ban this Frankie Hill! Barbee, Vallely, Mullen, even goddamn Welinder on the walk of fame stars part. Kevin Harris started Richmond Skate Ranch. Great.
    I saw Jess The Mess getting pulled around Venice by a scary dog last time I was in LA. I was stoked.
    Skateboarding!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    McGill wore his own shirts. But this movie makes me happy so he can stay.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    There used to be a book cover (purchase and wrap your textbook in it)

i had ALL my textbooks in junior high wrapepd with the bones book wraps!!! had the Cab one, the hawk one, lance mountain yadda yadda.

my first board was a Mcgill.. that skull / snake shit was THAT SHIT.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I had the cabelero mini. I like the bat pattern. I think, in retrospect, Mullen had a much greater effect on modern skateboarding than all the very dudes. Can't wait to see that movie.

I found a bunch of old Powell shirts, jimmy z, hobie, body glove and vision clothes at a salvation army in Atlantic city, but it's all to small for me. I've been meanin to put it up on egay.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    I think, in retrospect, Mullen had a much greater effect on modern skateboarding

Yeah, for real. I quit skating a long time ago, but I do remember catching up on it years later and thinking, "Wow, everybody's into that Rodney Mullen/Per Wellinder shit now."

Also: I still have my Animal Chin VHS. And I thought Steve Caballero was that dude, his shitty punk band notwithstanding.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    i can't wait to see it, i have watched dogtown and z boys 20 times. no joke. i have been psyched about this since it first made news last winter. as a kid my brother was obsessed with bones brigade and powell peralta and so was my husband so this is going to be fun to watch!!!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I'll join the list of folks eagerly awaiting this. I always liked Caballero's style. I remember watching animal chin at my best friends house in second grade, my mind was blown.

• I'll be bold enough to say that McGill, Mctwist and all, was never as cool as the rest of them. I was never getting amped off of McGill. I'm not discounting that he was a great vert skater, but I never really liked him as much as the rest of the guys.

Anybody put McGill in the number one spot?

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    There is a special place in my heart for McGill because its the first powell I ever got. But yeah, Mike always seemed like the jock that happened to stumble upon the biggest trick ever and then wore "skater" clothes to play the part.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I have not been into boarding (Except enjoying videos from time to time) since this was my last deck.

But Bones Brigade was great. My Animal Chin tape was worn out quick.

Look forward to checking this out. Thx for the heads up.

Edit: Damn, it played here quite a while ago. Wish I caught it.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    can't wait to see this, second the vibe that McGill wasn't quite as cool as the others.

also, Enki, that's crazy, The Faction were an incredible band!!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    holmes said:
    also, Enki, that's crazy, The Faction were an incredible band!!

I think he's referring to Odd Man Out