Anyone else here in advertising?

Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
Namely, the creative department?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I work in Marketing in a Creative Services department. Why, what's up?

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    No reason. Just curious if there was anyone else here I could gripe about the biz with...

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Was at DDB. Now freelancing at Leo Burnett.

Oh, right on. I'd launch into a litany of complaints, but bad-mouthing one's employer around here has already gotten one Strutter fired.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Agreed.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Anto99 said:
    Was at DDB. Now freelancing at Leo Burnett.

I'm a Art Director. In Miami. The market here is terrible. Be thankful you work for an established company with a great rep.
    I recommend this book - a great read, even if you're not a graphic designer.

http://www.amazon.com/Graphic-Designer-without-Expanded-Edition/dp/1568989830/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345647687&sr=8-1&keywords=how+graphic+design+without+soul

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Cool. Thanks. Yeah, been at this for a decade now. As with anything, it's good and bad. Freelance is a whole different ball game though. Kinda liking it after 6 months.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Had a feeling you might be after seeing the Tony Scott post.

RAJ said:

Of course, I work in non-profit marketing. Getting people to watch PBS and visit cultural institutions and the like. Maybe if someone had done a better job marketing cancer research institutions, Bill Hicks would still be alive.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    RAJ said:

Of course, I work in non-profit marketing. Getting people to watch PBS and visit cultural institutions and the like. Maybe if someone had done a better job marketing cancer research institutions, Bill Hicks would still be alive .

I see what you're doing here....going after the post-death self loathing dollar....that's very smart.....everyone dies so you have a built in customer base...that's a very good market to go after.....and with most white folks being self loathing you hit 'em with a double whammy of guilt and advertising.......now please go kill yourself.....seriously.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i work in media... graphic design / web design.

Bomjak that suks about miami ..i've been really dremain of movin there someday (typical candian quest for warmth)!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Dubious said:
    i work in media... graphic design / web design.

Bomjak that suks about miami ..i've been really dremain of movin there someday (typical candian quest for warmth)!

Oh Miami is great. I wouldn't live anywhere else.
    But the market is terrible because you've got too many applicants for the positions available right now. Only NYC and LA can handle these conditions. And a side-effect of this is because the competition is so high, applicants are willing to work for less just to secure a position - to the point where salaries are 20-30% lower than the national average LOW. I've actually seen ads on CL where the hourly rate offered has been $11. For a position that should be paying upwards of $25/hour.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    If the work's there, freelance. Way better money. Almost none of the bullshit.

Anto99 said:

Are you factoring in health/dental/life/401K/paid vacation?

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Anto99 said:

Yep. Depends on your hourly/day rate of course. Different for everyone.

DB_Cooper said:
    Anto99 said:

Dude WANTS to be clowned and this is all you got?

b/w

Putney Swope

Rockadelic said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Anto99 said:

b/w

Putney Swope

It's too easy! If he wants to be clowned, I insist on treating him with dignity.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Rockadelic said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Anto99 said:

b/w

Putney Swope

It's too easy! If he wants to be clowned, I insist on treating him with dignity.

I'm lost on this one.

Anto99 said:

I'm lost on this one.

b/w

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    RAJ said:

This very rant informed my view of advertising for years and years.
    Had a deep visceral hatred of the business and always thought advertising was the bottom of the barrell type stuff.

And of course now, I work in advertising/marketing/promotions.
    I manage 5 "creatives" and it is pretty miserable.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    I was an art director at BBDO SF for 3 years. Recently left to be home with our son for a little bit, and don't regret it.

It can be a pretty fun industry to be in, and although I do miss the creative process, the advertising industry is really just one big circle jerk.

I'll probably get back into it next year sometime, but for now trying to enjoy my time off.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    How about all you advertising creatives get on the Mardi Gras tip and create slogans for SoulStrut?

Mardi gratis, natch.

Send em to Anton, he can run yet another thread to put em up without names, and we vote on them.

No?
    Ok then.

::walk::

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    DJBombjack said:

Oh Miami is great. I wouldn't live anywhere else.
    But the market is terrible because you've got too many applicants for the positions available right now. Only NYC and LA can handle these conditions. And a side-effect of this is because the competition is so high, applicants are willing to work for less just to secure a position - to the point where salaries are 20-30% lower than the national average LOW. I've actually seen ads on CL where the hourly rate offered has been $11. For a position that should be paying upwards of $25/hour.

sounds alot like my experinece living in Toronto. Always people tryign to undercut you, work for "experience" type BS. Jobs that wanted you to do everythign from print to web, java, php, c+, pearl etc - starting salary 19k.

moved back home to the middle of nowhere east coast and get paid way more than i ever did in THE BIG CITY.

• :hi:

I do video editing and AV stuff for an NY agency.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    I guess after coming up with ads for so long, I've actually gotten less cynical about the whole thing. Getting paid to do something creative is ok. The whole corporate part kinda sucks but it is what it is. Not my dream job, but who really has that aside from Hugh Hefner? Or perhaps Peanut butter Wolf. Now that's a sweet gig.

It's all relative I guess.

• the only thing worth advertising is yourself. and the only way to do this is through what you do and what you say.

in this setting: what you post.

adjust accordingly.

Anto99 said:
    I guess after coming up with ads for so long, I've actually gotten less cynical about the whole thing. Getting paid to do something creative is ok. The whole corporate part kinda sucks but it is what it is. Not my dream job, but who really has that aside from Hugh Hefner? Or perhaps Peanut butter Wolf. Now that's a sweet gig.

It's all relative I guess.

Please to post the ad campaign that you came up with that you think is your best work.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Google Subaru Forester Sumo Car wash

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    And please, to be fair, I've shown u mine, you show me yours. Let's have a look at something you've done...