Last Days Here - Pentagram Rockumentary

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
Anybody catch this yet? It's on Netflix Streaming.

Like Button.

Comments

• i love Pentagram. i thought the doc was cool. Liebling is a character for sure. some parts were incredibly sad and the ending was good.

i wish they would have talked more about the band and their history, they didnt go into at all about how influential they were to the doom metal genre and the only Pentagram songs they played in the film were from the old demo reel stuff.

3.5/5

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    we watched it the other night and got thai food delivered which was rad. i loved it and of course anything in which philly makes an appearance is cool with me. that dude Sean who made it works at Relapse, nice guy. it's pretty cool that he facilitated so much positive change in another mans life, i hope he gets an avalanche of good karma. totally recommend this doc!

spoiler alert do not read further if you haven't seen it!.....

- i can't quite believe Bobbie still had viable sperm after everything he put his body through for 40 years, that was sort of mindblowing at the end.

:hard_as_fuck:

• :goat:

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Saw this last summer at the Boone Dawdle, the summer excursion of the True False film festival. Enjoyed it tremendously!

This summer's Boone Dawdle film was "The Source." Father Yod Heads know the deal.

EDIT: More info on The Source here: http://www.ragtagfilm.com/films.php?id=521

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    This was a great Doc. Started out pretty hard to watch at first with his skin picking but totally worth it to see him clean up.

Not sure about the "didn't talk about the band" comment. They totally gave credit to them as the godfathers of doom metal (they used that term exactly) and interviewed multiple members of the band with endless band related stories as well as the drummer going through all his memorabilia.

Admittedly the focus was on how the singer held them back so that's really the whole reason for the movie. The great band that never made it because of the singers mental/drug problems. If they had made it we would just be watching a bland VH1 Roc Doc. Quite frankly I would prefer that instead of the life crushing struggles these guys had.

I would assume the music being the old demo stuff was a licensing issue. I'm sure the budget wasn't huge for this. Just a guess.

Highly recommended weather you like doom metal or not. Great personal stories and an example of what I'm sure are many unheard stories from the music world.

• volumen said:
    They totally gave credit to them as the godfathers of doom metal (they used that term exactly)

hmmm, i guess i missed that quote...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    great doc.

Although his parents were huge enablers, their support of their son and his art was delightful. Wish all parents could be that supportive of their children's endeavors.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    A friend of mine told me about this a day or 2 before the thread was started and said it was great.

Watching it now and this Is :hard_as_fuck:

Edit: Fuck that got heavy.

The guy who put this together & stuck it through deserves a medal. That was a great ending. Hope dude can see it through.

• ^^^thats the demo reel version, all that early stuff pops up on subsequent albums in complete doom form.... check it.

heavy stuff....