Official Olympics 2012 thread

15678911»

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    The Olympic closing ceremonies in London were terrible.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I burned out on the Olympics after the Women's Soccer gold medal game. USA!

Glad I missed the closing ceremonies.
    Did they have a hologram of John Lennon singing Imagine?
    Is there a song that is more anti the spirit of the Olympics than Imagine?

I forget who made the argument that 99% of swimmers only swim one stroke at one distance.
    I had to ask my wife what strokes and distances she typically competed in when she was a ncaa swimmer.
    Typically 2 strokes at 2 different distances, plus IM. But was prepared to swim others if needed.
    She asked why, when I told her what the guy had said she started laughing.
    Where did that 99% number come from any way?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    http://wwwthedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/45-year-old-salesman-apologises-for-closing-ceremony-2012081337959

45-year-old salesman apologises for closing ceremony

WAYNE Hayes, a middle-aged sales executive from Carlisle, has expressed regrets about the Olympics closing ceremony beamed directly from his brain.

Hayes, who organisers deemed to be the most typical man in Britain, curated the ceremony via special electrodes attached to his head which fed details of everything he likes into a giant computer. This information was then transmitted into the Olympic Park in the form of incredibly lifelike holograms.

Hayes said: ???I thought that everyone loves a bit of Annie Lennox and Oasis to get themselves in the party mood but judging by the four hundred thousand death threats on my Twitter feed this morning, apparently not.

???All I wanted was to recreate the brilliant spectacle of an early 1990s Brit Awards show and I tried to do that by free associating acts with the first words that came into my head, hence Fatboy Slim/octopus, and Annie Lennox/Viking boat.???

Many of the performances last night were clipped versions of well known songs, mainly because Hayes could not remember all of the words, and the only modern acts were the ones he last heard blasting out of his daughter???s bedroom.

Hayes??? wife has asked him to explain why he is so obsessed with Jessie J, a constant feature of the concert who remained in the corner of the viewers??? screen like somebody signing the program for the deaf had decided to abandon waving their hands about and start shouting along instead.

Other baffling performances included Kaiser Chiefs singing The Who, because Hayes remembered liking the group but couldn???t remember how any of their songs went, and a recreation of an Only Fools & Horse scene because he had their DVD on in the background at the time.

Hayes said: ???This is just what music concerts look like in my mind, although admittedly the last one I actually went to was Travis at the Birmingham NEC in 1999.

???Oh, why didn???t I have Travis on instead of the Spice Girls? That???s a shame.???

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I burned out on the Olympics after the Women's Soccer gold medal game. USA!

damn, those t-shirts.... NAGL
    good win, though.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    gareth said:
    mannybolone said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    *SPOILER ALERT*

America wins more medals than anyone else. 'MERICA!

I think you meant "China," no?

NO, HE MEANT 'MERICA.

'MERICA, GOD DAMNIT! FUCK YEAH! 'MERICA!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I'd blap.

• DB_Cooper said:
    gareth said:
    mannybolone said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    *SPOILER ALERT*

NO, HE MEANT 'MERICA.

Times change, we all know this. But I for one am really nostalgic for the zeitgeist of my childhood. During the Cold War, Americans of all stripes had the comradery and innate sense that we were on the right side of the ideological divide and that we would prevail in the end because good triumphs evil. We didn't hate the Russian people, just the contemptible tyrannical one-party state that claims absolute control of the individual and confiscates the collective work of the community.

Nowadays some people are ostensibly afraid to show nationalistic pride in public for fear that they might offend someone or spark a confrontation over the silly political tiffs that polarize our nation. As I've said before, nationalism on its face is irrational and likely counterproductive but in small doses and at certain sporting events like the Olympics or on battlefields such as the beaches of Normandy, who here can't say that it does lift the heart and warm the soul. So with no further restraint I must echo my brothers above and state:

'MERICA. FUCK YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GET YOU SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Big_Chan said:
    The Olympic closing ceremonies in London were terrible.

http://christt.com/words/closingceremony/

This guy does a good job of saying why.

b/w

Maybe the French were right to be suspicious of GB cycling success - tour de France winner and olympic gold medalist Bradly Wiggins in doping shock:

:necessary:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

At the UP season opener Sophie Schmidt and Christine Sinclair were honored before the game and at half time, as were Stephanie Lopez (Cox) and Tiffeny Milbrett.
    There were more than 4,000 fans there.

Can't tell you Canadians how much we love Schmidt and Sinclair here in Portland.

Unranked UP won the opener against #4 UNC*.

Portland has won the national championship twice.
    The only other schools to win more than once are Notre Dame 3x and UNC 20x

*UNC was short 3 top players who were in Japan with the national U20 team.

• DB_Cooper said:
    gareth said:
    mannybolone said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    *SPOILER ALERT*

NO, HE MEANT 'MERICA.

RED. WHITE. AND BROKEN LINKS.