Official Olympics 2012 thread

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Indeed. While there's always the danger that introducing an additional competitive and professional edge to a sport will taint its purity, I'd like to nominate Derny racing as an official sport for the next Olympics.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    He's like Mussolini on a moped.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    YES

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    skel said:
    Sanchez blubfest

He must cry for his gran wot raised him. The pre-race news of her death harshed his mellow 4 years ago and he choked. He promised he'd win the next one for her. Ran with her photo stuffed down his vest. I hope my grandkids feel the same about me one day.

Sanchez ??? who had the word ???Abuela??? (Grandmother) stitched into his spikes ??? produced a photograph of his grandmother from his vest after crossing the line and kissed it before breaking down in tears.

The US-born hurdler later sobbed uncontrollably as he stepped up to collect his medal ??? the first time he had registered a podium finish at any major championships since 2007.

Sanchez later wept again as he recalled the dark day in Beijing four years ago when he had learned of his grandmother???s death.

???When I got the news my grandmother had died I cried all day and I wasn???t sure I would run but I did and failed to make it out of the heats,??? said Sanchez.

???I made a promise that day that I would win a medal for her ... it took me four years.

???I brought a picture of her to the Games and kept it under my bed and then brought it out for the final.

???I???ve been very emotional all week wanting to keep my promise but after 14 years at the top I had so many races under my belt since my first major championships the 1999 worlds I didn???t know whether I had it in me.

???It???s just an amazing feeling. Then when I was on the podium and it started raining it felt like my grandmother was crying tears of joy.

???The day she died in Beijing it broke my heart,??? Sanchez said. ???That???s why I ran with the picture close to my heart.???

Sanchez???s victory was as unexpected as it was dramatic.

No-one had given the veteran a chance of upsetting Javier Culson, the brilliant Puerto Rican who has been unbeaten all year.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

;-)

• Junior said:
    I'd like to nominate Derny racing as an official sport for the next Olympics.

makes more sense then having Equestrian Dressage in there. Someone please tell me how this is an Olympic sport

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Risingson said:
    Junior said:

makes more sense then having Equestrian Dressage in there. Someone please tell me how this is an Olympic sport

I wont defend any equestrian competition as an olympic sport.

But I want to say that dressage has gotten an unfair rap in the USA as an elitist sport, the same way wind surfing did 8 years ago.

mannybolone said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    and yo: SPITZ.

Dude competed in and won all the same events as Phelps (he has fewer medals cause there were fewer events in his era).

Plus dude did it with a bushy stache, full chest hair, and no swim cap.

His name alone is worth a medal.

GOAT.

THe problem with Spitz though is that he retired so (relatively) young. WIth Phelps, his domination of the sport has lasted at least eight years. If Spitz had only come back in '76...

Phelps turned pro before his first olympics.
    Spitz had to give up olympic glory to earn a living.

Risingson said:
    LaserWolf said:

Fuck Phelps.
    Phelps think he is better than Ali because there was only one medal for Ali to win in his weight? Apparently he does.

99% of swimmers can only concentrate on one stroke at one or two distances. The fact Phelps can compete at Freestyle, Butterfly & IM at multiple distances across 3 Olympic games at the highest level is truely remarkable. If you know swimming you know, otherwise I guess ignorance is bliss.
    Just going on Olympic accomplishments I really can't see how anyone can honestly argue against Phelps being the greatest Olympian ever.

I say fuck Seb Coe. When asked if Phelps was the greatest of all time he answered no & just rattled off a whole host of Brits he thought were better. I have no doubt if there were a Union Jack next to Phelps' name he'd have said yes

This is a great argument for Phelps as the greatest swimmer.
    Or greatest current male swimmer.

It is not an argument for greatest Olympian.

Bolt is the fastest man on earth. Ever. I think that gives him as much a claim for greatest Olympian.

I don't think that having the most medals makes an athlete (or a country) the greatest. But that's just me.

• Options
    Risingson said:
    Someone please tell me how this is an Olympic sport

Kinda reminds me of those flatland BMX bike routines.

]
    Risingson said:
    Someone please tell me how this is an Olympic sport

So the Olympics is a hark back to the ancient Greeks, fused with de Coubertin's enthusiasm for the new addition of sport in briddish school curriculum.

Ergo, traditionalism plus freshness was built in at the start of the modern games.

Thus you retain some truly ancient events like discus and javelin, some 1800s fads like poncing around on horses, and constantly refresh with kite boarding and bmx.

This shouldn't require explanation.

For personal taste, and it has been said before, if the Olympics is not a sport's pinnacle, it shouldn't be in Teh Games.

So get rid of soccer, tennis, cycling road race etc etc.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    So did Raisman buy her way to a bronze? ;)

judges thought they could put one past BELLA? please. dude saw that whole thing; and he's not even on the team anymore.

it's weird tho; I didn't see any cash change hands, which is, inexplicably, the protocol for a challenge I thought.

skel said:

For personal taste, and it has been said before, if the Olympics is not a sport's pinnacle, it shouldn't be in Teh Games.

This is a good test, but leaves rhythmic gymnastics and syncoswimming in.

Risingson said:
    Junior said:

When the modern games were resurrected a lot of events were designed with army and gentleman cavalry types in mind, so shooting, pentathlon and horsey shenanigans were in there from the start...

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    after only sending six boxers to london four are coming home with at least bronze after another two wins today!

16.45 GMT tomorrow this woman katie taylor(from my neck of the woods) fights for gold with the ruski ochigya, check her in action she is an amazing boxer, 4 times world champ, 5 time euro champ and instrumental in getting womans boxing into the games

:hard_as_fuck:

• ^^^ oh shit, another Irish man on here!! I thought I was the only one!

Katie = legend. First gold medal sometime around 16.55-17.00 tomorrow afternoon

LaserWolf said:
    skel said:

This is a good test, but leaves rhythmic gymnastics and syncoswimming in.

And IMHO there's nothing to exclude them.
    Take away the cosmetics, and synchro swim requires a whole lot more than pistol shooting and archery for example, certainly in terms of athleticism.
    No doubt at some point synchro and beach volleyball gets replaced. And maybes dressage, and multiple swim events, et al.,
    But....leave space for tradition.

Not everything needs to be driven by market forces.

• :oh_my:

• vintageinfants said:

:oh_my:

Ha ha. I saw that too. Do they need people to watch them undress to make sure they don't cheat or something? Poor girl, probably had no idea anyone was even noticing.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    They stand there to pick up the boxes of the racers' possessions for safekeeping while they run.

David Icke is at it again, claiming the opening ceremony was a vast satanic ritual, with the ringing of that big bell signifying the start of human sacrifice for the Babylon Brotherhood. The stadium is apparently sited to take advantage of some special energy grid thing.

Also named as lizard people are the Queen, Dubya and Boxcar Willie.

Rad.

skel said:
    David Icke is at it again, claiming the opening ceremony was a vast satanic ritual, with the ringing of that big bell signifying the start of human sacrifice for the Babylon Brotherhood. The stadium is apparently sited to take advantage of some special energy grid thing.

Also named as lizard people are the Queen, Dubya and Boxcar Willie.

Rad.

Icke has a big date at Wembley Arena that he's trying sell tickets for so he's revealing new conspiracies left right and centre at the moment. Good for business.

You doing the son et lumiere?

Maybe offer up dj services.
    That would be a radical gig.

I don't with him directly but, yep, he's a client!

Risingson said:
    LaserWolf said:

Fuck Phelps.
    Phelps think he is better than Ali because there was only one medal for Ali to win in his weight? Apparently he does.

99% of swimmers can only concentrate on one stroke at one or two distances. The fact Phelps can compete at Freestyle, Butterfly & IM at multiple distances across 3 Olympic games at the highest level is truely remarkable. If you know swimming you know, otherwise I guess ignorance is bliss.

I'm not sure where you got the 99% percent figure.
    But if it is true the 1% is very large and well represented at the top.
    Many swimmers compete in different events at different distances.
    Every swimmer in the IM swims 4 different strokes.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Man, I missed the second half of the women's basketball US vs Australia game. In the first half I thought US was going to lose. Australia just had too much size and were getting shots right in front of the basket. I guess in the second half they switched defenses and shut down Australia's center for the win. Wish I'd seen it.

• LaserWolf said:

Every swimmer in the IM swims 4 different strokes.

IM is a separate event to the strokes. No one who swims IM is a master of all four strokes, generally they'll have one stroke they excel at & get by with the other three. Get by, as in relative to the Olympic level

Congrats to Katie Taylor

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Duke Kahanamoku > Michael Phelps.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Holy sh*t: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/09/london-2012-usa-relay-broken-leg

Also the 800 WR by Rudisha was good. It looked like if the guy had a real competitor to push him he could've gone even faster. Effortless round the track.