Storage wars

2»

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    mannybolone said:
    mrmatthew said:
    I ride for this show...Even though its satged and contrived.

I liked when Darrel pulled the Thorens Turnatable, reciever and speakers and a few crates of records a few seasons back.

Yeah: I'm not sure about his record pricing skills, but when he pulled out that Thorens, MIB, I just thought, "fuuuuuuck, nice haul."

whabout when Hot Rod Barry tried to get money for those 78s? I knew they weren't worth shit, but I was kind of hurt when recordman almost laughed at him.

Barry is so good.

As for the authenticity of the show, I don't want to know. I want to believe that these are the only four people into this.

You think they're playing with house money maybe? Like they get ten grand at the start of the season from producers or something? The fact that they bring up IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA makes me think they'd be afraid to rig it. I'm quite naive though.

barry is really funny... the one where he was kinda trying to mack it to the girl @ the neon sign museum was priceless... also cannot front on Darrell's san diego oakie steez...

• I love these shows! Why the hate for Auction Hunters? It's cool because they actually end up selling everything in the show. I also love American Pickers...and Pawn Stars...these shows tap into the same vein we diggers have while looking for records. Tubeplus has links to watch all these shows btw...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    http://goo.gl/Cq3uH

Much comedy gold here.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    It was so nice seeing Dave get his ass handed to him tonight.

Go on Barry!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I got cable again so I watched like 5 of these back to back last night. Grueling comedy.

Sometimes Dave Hester sets up his "Yuuup!" gear at a booth at Kobey's in SD.

I haven't seen Darrell in years now, he and Brandon are living well off the SW money I'm sure.

All the storage guys I know HATE this show, and for good reason.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Mark: they hate it b/c it's brought all these ignorant newbies into the game?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    If the big kahunas of the Chicago storage locker scene would agree to make a show, it would be 10x more entertaining than the California one. Shit gets super hood while waiting in the lobbies and parking lots before the auctions. So much quality trash talking and bravado. They shot a couple pilots here, and one of the best dudes, this greedy and hilarious son of a bitch Charles, didn't agree to being on the show because he didn't want people knowing how much money he makes. He told me they offered everyone $20 to sign the waiver to be in the pilot. I can't imagine that these guys get paid much at all to be on these shows, at least during the first season.

These shows have seriously fucked up the game for the old timers. The biggest issue is that where there used to be 30-40 people tops that would show up to bid, now there are sometimes 100s of people. That means every stupid little locker, you gotta wait for all those people to walk past the locker and inspect it, and you're in these little hallways with all these people, trying to hear the auctioneer and get in and bid. Most of these people that show up have no money to begin with and are coming sheerly for entertainment. Aside from that, the lockers are going sky high and its gotten alot harder to turn a profit.

The biggest secret though, is that most of the guys who have been doing this for a long time have relationships with the auctioneers, who know exactly what is in these lockers before they auction them off, and will tip them off before the auctions as to whats inside. Most of the locker companies usually go in the lockers before they auction them to take an inventory and post it on their advertisements. . Thus, the dude above talking about this locker going up to $10,000. No one is going to take a leap of faith like that unless they know what they're spending that kind of money on.

• I have to say I always preferred Auction Hunters as it shows them actually selling the stuff, as well as having a bit of a go on it if it's something cool, like bucking off the vintage guns or flying model planes, etc.

Storage Wars is good for the comedy value and the way they interact with each other (and that Brandy's fit), though I never got into the Texan one. Isn't there a third one now, a much newer one doing the same thing but a completely different franchise?

I know a couple of lads who're into this game, no idea if they started before or after these shows but they do it on the side. They said most of the rooms have junk in, which I guess is more likely here than up North or on the West Coast as the storage rooms on the South side of Disney in Central FL probably aren't exactly going to have Rembrandts in... They did however give me a crate of wax they'd acquired which also had 2 Stanton cartridges and styli in for giving them a lift home from the pub! Nothing in the wax though, all 2002-2004 era radio-rap.

I can imagine it's pushing the prices up ridiculously high though, someone (different) said they went to an auction recently and it was all lookey-Lou's.

The auctioneers do know what's in them as I remember one of the episodes of Storage Wars where the whole cast knew there was a vintage Harley in one of the lockers, I believe it was???

Still, good fun for a watch while you've got your dinner on your lap and vegging out on the sofa afterwards