Storage wars

countmaculacountmacula 196 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Anybody seen this new show on A&E? It's a reality show were people bid on storage units from people who have fallen behind on their payments. The first episode was Suge Knight's storage. I set up my DvR to record it but of course my bum ass cable was out when it came on.
I never hear about this type thing goin on where I live. Anybody ever done this?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    No.

But I've seen Auction Hunters which is basically the same show.

:shocked:

Yet another show that preys upon the financially despair.

:poor:

• Ha. You're right!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Bump.

Storage Wars >>> Auction Hunters.

Discuss.

• Most dudes on there are clowns, but I get a kick out of it.

hello.

I like Barry, tho

• i watched the first episode of the new season, it's an all new cast of characters. i wonder if the og cast held out for too much money or whatever.. the show is so obviously fake, i don't know why i watch this shit.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i watched the first episode of the new season, it's an all new cast of characters. i wonder if the og cast held out for too much money or whatever.. the show is so obviously fake, i don't know why i watch this shit.

Sure you werent watching Storage Wars : Texas?

• i guess that was what i was wtaching. the irritable new yorker transplant dude is sorta funny. love that peter max print that the gene shallit dude pulled.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    Most dudes on there are clowns, but I get a kick out of it.

The best part of the show IMO is how they push each others buttons.

hello.

I wouldn't kick her outta bed for eating crackers... Actually, I'd marry her.

I like Barry, tho

He's quite the odd one. But amusing...

I like the show on a whole. The Texas one, not so much.

The Texas one is funny just for Moe alone. He's like the Bizarro World Barry.

And that "$100, right here!" NY transplant is like a cartoon character too.

That said, they ain't got nathan on the OG LA cast. Yuuuuuuup!

What I want to know is: for those who've done the storage locker route, how realistic is that there's always ONE interesting item per shitty locker? The producers protest that they do NOT plant stuff but it looks hella suspect.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    What I want to know is: for those who've done the storage locker route, how realistic is that there's always ONE interesting item per shitty locker? The producers protest that they do NOT plant stuff but it looks hella suspect.

There are definitely duds, but its all the more helpful to be knowledgeable about a wide variety of antiques & collectibles if this is your grind. You can always squeeze out $$$ from the crap.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    A few years back I did a bunch of business with Darryl from Storage Wars. Good guy, his family operation is pretty legit. He has some amazing hauls sometimes.

I've seen some stuff come out of storage lockers. It can be pretty hit or miss, but I once watched a unsuspecting locker in the same building that I had a locker in get bid up to $10K.

Next day, I watched dude haul out of grip of OG Ron English and other modern artist canvases. :balla:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    mannybolone said:

!

Moe sets up at the local "Antique Show" here in Dallas....he's exactly like he is on the show in real life.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I've been working on my Darrel imitation lately. It's pretty good. It's a sick Darrel, one of those days where he's not really on his game as much, kinda blown out from the heat but still shows up. Maybe he lets his kid do the bidding.

I've fully bought into the way these characters are portrayed on the show, too. I don't want anything to do with real world facts. To me, DARREL is that pleasant dummy portrayed on the show. He goes deep sea fishing a lot. Cabo Wabo. That kind of shit.

BARRY is the man. Best L.A. dude ever, and looks like my dad. Well, sort of--from across the street. My dad looks exactly like Bernie Madoff. I want to get him some skeleton gloves for xmas this year, but he's never seen the show.

I just realized I wish Barry from Storage Wars was my dad.

DAVE: I think they want me to hate Dave for his YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP or his ruthless bidding tactics (what the FUCK is wrong with these people?--how do they talk like "oh, he really got me good on this auction today"? It's a fucking auction! It's the simplest thing on earth: you bid more money than the other guy, you get the stuff. If you don't want the stuff for X amount, you don't bid over X amount.), but I hate Dave for his stupid uniform. And the one-strap shoulder bag thing he's always carrying. I do like when he calls the other dudes "pukes," though.

Their trash talk makes those American Chopper dudes seem like Mark Twain.

BRANDI and JERROD are great. Their store fascinates me. "Gotta fill up the shelves." That's all they care about. I love it.

I blew through the first season on Netflix. Kinda wish I had cable teevee for season 2, but I've got a friend DVR'ing new episodes so I'm straight.

Storage Hunters can go straight in the dumpster, man. Fuck those guys. I only saw one, and those people aren't up to par with my friends on Storage Wars.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Kinda wish I had cable teevee for season 2, but I've got a friend DVR'ing new episodes so I'm straight.

Never seen the show, but from what I understand, there are places where you can download these sorts of things.

No way. That's not how Barry would do it.

There are RULES, set by the AUCTIONEER. And the STATE of CALIFORNIA.

Maybe after 90 days of unpaid, I'll consider stealing these off the internet.

No.

No, I will not.

"Oh, not much. Just downloading episodes of Storage Wars Season Two."

That's a place I cannot go.

Certainly I can discuss the societal significance with culture experts on this fine message board, but no way I'm gonna do that. Maybe if someone comes over for dinner or something and we get to talking about Storage Wars.

No.

The only reason I watch the show, really, is to get angry at the part at the end where they tally up their "profit." I like to roll my eyes and say shit to the TV: "psht, yeah RIGHT dude...good luck with getting 450 bucks for THAT. Idiot."

Why are we not talking about when Barry got the 78s and took them to that store on Pico where I got a parking ticket? That was bomb.

I'd also like to bring up the theme song.

I can't believe whoever's singing it doesn't crack up, he's trying so hard: "mo-nay ownnns this towrnnn!" Shittiest theme song. Faux-sleaze maxed out. "MohNay ownnns this taowwrnnn" 3x.

Auctioneer's wife is on drugs, too. She's got nerping Bachmann eyes and a permagrin at all times.

mannybolone said:

That said, they ain't got nathan on the OG LA cast. Yuuuuuuup!

I need to see this. I must see this.

• That one out-take (Season 1) at the end where Barry is riding around on some little bike he bought - classic.

The show is definitely constructed, but that is also part of what makes it so good.

I have my doubts though about the auctioneer dude's merits - sounds like he's making up a lot of words and sounds in between the real ones???

TheKindCromang said:

I have my doubts though about the auctioneer dude's merits - sounds like he's making up a lot of words and sounds in between the real ones???

Yes. Someone should chop'n'screw a clip of him and count syllables.

He's definitely better than the bald asshole on Storage Hunters though. That guys sucks. He starts it all off by (poorly) insulting the prospective bidders, and then when it's time for fast-talking he's only capable of one "tltltltltltltltltltl" trill. It sounds okay when you first hear it, but a couple times in and you realize that's all he's got. Even when he's trying to go from, say, fifty to sixty, and he should be at least starting his st st stutter fakeout with an S-sound, he still comes with the "tltltltltltltltltltlt-SIXTAY!!"

He's no good, man. Makes the Cali guy's suspect delivery sound like fast-talker HOF MicroMachines status.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I ride for this show...Even though its satged and contrived.

I liked when Darrel pulled the Thorens Turnatable, reciever and speakers and a few crates of records a few seasons back.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    Just not enough scenes where a person opens up a box and says something in anticipation like "wow look at this...." before cutting away to a commercial. I also love the creative math where some guy with an IQ of six just says "this is six hundred bucks easily" and the graphics show that amount like its already in a cash register. Love the bald guy with the hot wife wearing the crappy t-shirts he is trying to sell in every episode.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    trzakhstan said:
    also love the creative math where some guy with an IQ of six just says "this is six hundred bucks easily" and the graphics show that amount like its already in a cash register.

It doesn't really matter. That's just for show. They only ever posted up numbers for a few items.

Many lockers can have 100+ in them, they only post the $$$ for a select few. I'm sure plenty of items will sell in the $5-20 range and in the end add up once sold (If they do). Which is Jarrod and Brandi gravy...

What does Barry do with all that stuff? He only seems to care about unique or big $$$ items. What does he do with all the filler? Donate it? Throw it out? Give it to friends?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    They had one wrap-up, end of season special in Vegas where they talked about their businesses, etc. They said that the majority of the storage lockers they buy they strike out on, but the ones they do find stuff in makes up for the rest. Obviously, the show is going to show mostly the ones they make out on more than the strike outs even though the latter are the majority.

Rockadelic said:
    mannybolone said:

!

Moe sets up at the local "Antique Show" here in Dallas....he's exactly like he is on the show in real life.

Oh, of that I have no doubt. To whatever extent the show is constructed (more on this in a sec), I think the personalities ring true. And man, that Moe dude is hilarious. He's like the epitome of "trying too hard to show like he has taste which is a sure sign that you don't." Compare with Barry, who exudes effortlessness in his swagger.

We all wish Barry was our dad.

re: the constructedness. The thing that I want to know...there's no fucking way that each of these auctions has exactly 3-4 lockers up and that it just happens to be the same 3-4 people who win the rooms each time. Which leads me to wonder: 1) how many lockers are usually up at these auctions? 2) How do they ensure their cast is able to win at least one auction, per episode? 3) How many different storage centers must they need to hit up during a season in order to produce 20+ episodes?

BTW, this is A&E's highest rated show. In fact, I think their Season 2 premier was A&E's best rated single show in the history of the network. CRAZY.

mrmatthew said:

I liked when Darrel pulled the Thorens Turnatable, reciever and speakers and a few crates of records a few seasons back.

Yeah: I'm not sure about his record pricing skills, but when he pulled out that Thorens, MIB, I just thought, "fuuuuuuck, nice haul."

mannybolone said:
    mrmatthew said:

Yeah: I'm not sure about his record pricing skills, but when he pulled out that Thorens, MIB, I just thought, "fuuuuuuck, nice haul."

whabout when Hot Rod Barry tried to get money for those 78s? I knew they weren't worth shit, but I was kind of hurt when recordman almost laughed at him.

Barry is so good.

As for the authenticity of the show, I don't want to know. I want to believe that these are the only four people into this.

You think they're playing with house money maybe? Like they get ten grand at the start of the season from producers or something? The fact that they bring up IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA makes me think they'd be afraid to rig it. I'm quite naive though.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I like to hold on to the idea that the good items aren't planted, but rather they just show the good auctions and edit out the chud. Like poker on TV. Cosine on the unrealistic values they assign to crappy items when they're trying to defend how much they spent.

• i'd tend to think that its not that rare to find decent stuff in a storage unit. seems reasonable to pay a monthly fee cause the stuff in the box has some value and isnt easily available or disposable. Its a little stranger for me when the units are filled with absolute garbage...but maybe thats why people stop paying the rent on them

Yuuuuuuup

• Watch Storage Wars and Antiques Roadshow back to back. Fuckin' harsh toke.
    Leave it to PBS to strip away all the artifice and appeal???
    real people, real finds, accurate appraisals???
    but in the end, when you watch a man cry because he found out a painting he's had in his basement is worth 10 Gs???
    now THAT is some REALITY TV